How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-30-2010, 02:52 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: first drive in over two years, trans problems.

Raul, it is only 3 turns from tight on the adjustment nut on the brake band, not 4. You will need to tighten the adjustment nut 1 full turn. This should solve most of the slipping gear issues. As I said over the phone, don't keep driving it like this or you will quickly lose your high clutch.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to redlinedeath Send a message via Yahoo to redlinedeath

oh frick. ill have to do that tomorrow before work. so just a full turn tighter should do it? do my simptoms still sound like the same thing? im so close to getting it running right! im so excited to not have to baby it to get anywhere!

btw, i found that removing the intake snorkle and unplugging two trans harnesses make it much much easyer to get to the bolt.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:16 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlinedeath View Post
oh frick. ill have to do that tomorrow before work. so just a full turn tighter should do it? do my simptoms still sound like the same thing? im so close to getting it running right! im so excited to not have to baby it to get anywhere!

btw, i found that removing the intake snorkle and unplugging two trans harnesses make it much much easyer to get to the bolt.
That should solve your 2-3 shift flare problems, your problems with it randomly dropping to 3rd out of 4th, etc.
The 1-2 slip a few members have been having lately and it seems as though it may be related to line pressure.
And as long as you went 4 turns back on the adjustment nut, 1 turn to tighten it should be what it needs. Also, yes, disconnecting the trans harnesses allows the wires to be moved out of the way.
Also I found that disconnecting the dog bone mount and removing the bracket from on top of the bell housing also provides a little extra room.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:02 PM

now the REAL problems begin...

so before work today, i decided to re-adjust the brake band. if youve been following, car drove great at low throttle, but slipped under heavyer throttle. i put maybe 25 miles since i swapped that housing.

anyhow, back to adjusting the brake band. to be sure i didnt make any mistakes, i tightened all the way again, and backed it up exactly 3 full turns. more like 3 1/8 actually. anyhow, so all happy, i leave work jump in the car, and slowly throw it in reverse... it doesnt seem to back up smoothly. seems like it starts in 2nd, so as im driving, i very gently keep accelerating and the whole car starts shaking violently. imagine driving on the rumble strips on the interstate, thats EXACTLY what i felt. i let off the gas, and all 4 tires lock up. throw it in neutral, and a second or two later, it actually goes into neutral. pull over, and re-tighten the nut all the way, and i count the turns to get it down. a hair over three. back it up three and same thing. this time when i start the car, i get the flashing power mode light. check the codes, and i get 11, 14, 15, 21, and 25. car does the exact same thing.

also, during these times, i couldnt get the car over 20mph before the shaking started.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:21 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
now the REAL problems begin...

so before work today, i decided to re-adjust the brake band. if youve been following, car drove great at low throttle, but slipped under heavyer throttle. i put maybe 25 miles since i swapped that housing.

anyhow, back to adjusting the brake band. to be sure i didnt make any mistakes, i tightened all the way again, and backed it up exactly 3 full turns. more like 3 1/8 actually. anyhow, so all happy, i leave work jump in the car, and slowly throw it in reverse... it doesnt seem to back up smoothly. seems like it starts in 2nd, so as im driving, i very gently keep accelerating and the whole car starts shaking violently. imagine driving on the rumble strips on the interstate, thats EXACTLY what i felt. i let off the gas, and all 4 tires lock up. throw it in neutral, and a second or two later, it actually goes into neutral. pull over, and re-tighten the nut all the way, and i count the turns to get it down. a hair over three. back it up three and same thing. this time when i start the car, i get the flashing power mode light. check the codes, and i get 11, 14, 15, 21, and 25. car does the exact same thing.

also, during these times, i couldnt get the car over 20mph before the shaking started.
Make sure all of the trans harness plugs are all tight and secure. That's the only way you will get all of those codes. The harnesses are tricky to get fully plugged in but you will hear a "snap" or "click" when it is fully insterted and locked tight.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:38 PM

lol, theyre taped together... the harnesses were all cracked on the new one! but its all good, ill just take them off the other when i get the chance. i will check that though.

i thought my band mishap destroyed my trans! i wanted to cry! (metaphorically)

btw, my brother may buy that 97 in buffalo grove... i hope he does!
Old 04-30-2010, 09:49 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
lol, theyre taped together... the harnesses were all cracked on the new one! but its all good, ill just take them off the other when i get the chance. i will check that though.

i thought my band mishap destroyed my trans! i wanted to cry! (metaphorically)

btw, my brother may buy that 97 in buffalo grove... i hope he does!
Try to put some electric grease on the connections or something so that they get better contact. That is the problem though...

If he does buy that 97, keep it auto. #1 you will always have a SEL for the ECU not receiving data from the TCU, and #2 its a rare 97, don't hack it up. If I were to get it, I wouldn't even put an aftermarket radio or anything into it, but thats just me.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:53 PM

he loves the car justbecause the car it is. he knows how rare they are, i think hed keep it stock. id probably beat him if he used it for drywall work like he did mine when he owned it. it is a pita to get drywall mud off of the interior...

anyhow, just pushed them together and it did great. still slips at the top of first and second, but feels much more firm in power. another 1/4 turn?
Old 04-30-2010, 09:54 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
he loves the car justbecause the car it is. he knows how rare they are, i think hed keep it stock. id probably beat him if he used it for drywall work like he did mine when he owned it. it is a pita to get drywall mud off of the interior...

anyhow, just pushed them together and it did great. still slips at the top of first and second, but feels much more firm in power. another 1/4 turn?
I'm gonna call you...