How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2010, 10:53 AM

motor running rich/building up

Ive got a 94 svx i pulled out of a wrecked car to put into my VW van. well ive been driving the van around and the engine has been running a bit ruff, doesnt like to idle right - but it does run and it is driveable.

Im guessing its the O2 sensors so i was going to replace them until i saw that OEM replacements are like $90 - too rich for my blood. What other sensors work with the car? i know its a 3wire - im trying to do this as cheap as possible because im already over budget for my build.

my other problem is that the closest subaru shop is almost 200 miles away and i cant do a code read on the computer because nobody supports OBD1. I live in Nacogdoches Tx and desperately need one. Would anyone be willing to let me borrow theirs?? ill pay shipping both ways and i only need it for 1 day!! - or if there is anyone in east texas that would be willing to drive to my shop and scan it for me? i pay perdiem!!
Old 04-06-2010, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: motor running rich/building up

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin_dodge View Post
What other sensors work with the car? i know its a 3wire - im trying to do this as cheap as possible because im already over budget for my build.
These are the ones I use and come with a lifetime warranty. You can get them at your local Advance Auto parts as well. Click HERE

What kind of codes are you trying to read? Look in the How-To documents for how to do these yourself. Click HERE

Also go to the SVX Information Warehouse. Click HERE
Click on Svxipedia at the top of the page and go to the "Checking Error Codes" category. This will give you instructions for checking every major system in the SVX.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 04-06-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
These are the ones I use and come with a lifetime warranty. You can get them at your local Advance Auto parts as well. Click HERE

What kind of codes are you trying to read? Look in the How-To documents for how to do these yourself. Click HERE

Also go to the SVX Information Warehouse. Click HERE
Click on Svxipedia at the top of the page and go to the "Checking Error Codes" category. This will give you instructions for checking every major system in the SVX.

thanks for the help with the sensors - but if u knew anything about motors u would know that the 94 svx is all PRE-CAT, not post cat like the link you sent. post cat and precat are looking for two different things as far as oxygen goes.

as far as the code checks go - im not stupid, im a mechanic. i put a 94 svx into an 86 volkswagen - i live in the middle of east texas and NEED A CODE SCANNER, if i had the scanner i wouldnt be asking for one, i would have already done it (i have a 2004 cummins 24valve - i know all about codes) no one within 200 miles has a Subaru OBD 1 scanner.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to thickasxthieves
Registered SVX
Cool Re: motor running rich/building up

Keep talking to people who offer help like that and i doubt youll find anyone.
Stage 2 ECUTune chip, 370cc injectors, ECUTune valve body and TCU, solid rubber motor mounts from a forester, outlaw phenolic spacers, COBBTuning lightweight blue crank pulley, Bontragerworks 22mm rear sway bar & endlinks, StrongFlex poly front sway bar bushings, Powergrid adjustable front sway bar endlinks, 17" MOMO CORSE RPM wheels w/ Toyo Proxes4 225/45, drilled/slotted rotors f/r, stainless lines, ceramic pads, Blue silicone radiator hoses, power mode switch, gold jdm hood badge, 20% tint all around, Hella optilux xtreme yellow fog bulbs

parts waiting to go on car: the rest of the strongflex polyurethane suspension bushing set
Old 04-06-2010, 01:58 PM

well if they did a little reading before they started spoutin off like they are a guru i wouldnt have to get that tone....
Old 04-06-2010, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Ive got a 94 svx i pulled out of a wrecked car to put into my VW van. well ive been driving the van around and the engine has been running a bit ruff, doesnt like to idle right - but it does run and it is driveable.

Im guessing its the O2 sensors so i was going to replace them until i saw that OEM replacements (22690AA180) are like $90 - too rich for my blood.(List $140.00 / discount $107.00)

What other sensors work with the car? NGK/ NTK, Bosch, Denso, Walker I know its a 3 wire (true) I'm trying to do this as cheap as possible because I'm already over budget for my build.

My other problem is that the closest Subaru shop is almost 200 miles away and I can't do a code read on the computer because nobody supports OBD1. I live in Nacogdoches TX and desperately need one. Would anyone be willing to let me borrow theirs?? I'll pay shipping both ways and I only need it for 1 day!! - or if there is anyone in east Texas that would be willing to drive to my shop and scan it for me? I pay per diem!!
Nowhere in the above post does it say "I am a mechanic" or indicate your mechanical accomplishments. With only 27 posts, we may have assumed you were new to the network and the SVX, and were pointing you in the right direction.

Without diminishing your abilities, there are many mechanics on this site which much more knowledge and insights to these cars than you. Some as young as 23 and as old as 81. Based on what vague information was given us, most would have responded in the same way, or wairted for more information.

Our intention was not to spout off as a guru, but to offer alternatives in case a Subaru Select Monitor (SSM) (OBDI) was unavailable to you.

Might want to check out Small Car Performance One of their specialties is the 3.3 SVX installation into the Vanagon. They may have some insight.

Based on your symptoms, I doubt they are caused by O2 sensors.

Just lighten up a little with the attitude and be willing to learn, and to share. There is a lot here which will make your life easier.

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Old 04-06-2010, 02:47 PM
Phil & Belha

Thumbs down Re: motor running rich/building up

If you did a little reading of the help that svxcess gave you, before you started spoutin off like you're are a guru, then you would discover that YOU CAN READ THE OBD1 CODES WITHOUT A SCANNER.

If you want to read the sensor data rather than the codes then you can do it with a laptop, some free software, and a fairly simple cable. See the link in my signature for more information about that.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 04-06-2010, 02:55 PM

Registered SVX

Maybe he can find a hillbilly or two out in there yonder with a scanner and a bottle of moonshine
Old 04-06-2010, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
thanks for the help with the sensors - but if you knew anything about SVX motors (which I do) you would know that the 94 SVX is all PRE-CAT, not post-cat like the link you sent. Post-cat and pre-cat are looking for two different things as far as oxygen goes. (The post cat merely makes sure the pre-cat sensors are doing their job.)
I have use these exact sensors as both pre-cat and post-cat (or in technical terms upstream and downstream) replacements without any problems whatsoever. My performance and gas mileage is great (26+) and no check engine lights or other errors.

And the link was correct. The 1994 only uses 2 sensors and the pre-cat position and Advance shows that they do indeed fit. In fact the number circled in red shows the OEM part number for your pre-cat 1994 sensor.

Another link to try is http://replacement.subautoparts.com/...l=null&dp=true

Put that shotgun away for awhile and let it cool off. I think you ran out of shells.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg NTK Sensor.jpg (116.8 KB, 493 views)

Last edited by svxcess; 04-06-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:05 PM
Aussie in enemy territory

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX92-97 View Post
Maybe he can find a hillbilly or two out in there yonder with a scanner and a bottle of moonshine
ROFL.....
Old 04-06-2010, 03:57 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Sounds to me like it is simply running like a VW. Might want to rethink what you buy.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:08 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

WOW.....

With the way this guy talks to people trying to help him, its a wonder any help is offered at all.......

If youre a great mechanic, why is it you are always here asking questions, instead of offering help to those apparently less skilled than you?

Anyways, LISTEN about the O2 sensors chief, I have those exact ones on mine and they have been great. Word of advice though, almost all of the members here are good guys and talk to each other with RESPECT, so if you want help in the future dont be the guy nobody likes to help.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:41 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX

Probably junked an SVX to put it in a crappy hippie VW.

SVXCESS you are too kind.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 04-07-2010, 02:00 PM

I first want to apologize for my tone - i was out of line but u need to see things from my perspective - this is the first time ive actually gotten input from this site. everywhere i go i get treated like a retard because i "dont have enough posts"

So here are a few pictures of my swap.

here is where the computer is mounted - i have 2 black connectors, but the little one appears to be only connected via 1 wire to the harness u have to look pretty hard but its there - i had the harness modified by a professional as i hate wiring. i read the writeup on testing by plugging in wires but im completely dumbfounded as to whether i use a 12v bulb or an led - i wired the whole van and it does not have an idiot light...

here is what i like to call the bloodlines because its what connects the van to the motor.

and finally a 3.3svx in a 2wd 1986 volkswagen weekender. personally i have only heard of a handful of 2wd conversions. everybody puts them into the syncros (4wd) which has a bigger engine compartment and better ground clearence.

now when i say im a mechanic i mean i tear down mechanical systems and rebuild them. in my opinion the day the computer was added to the car was the day that your average person could no longer work on it. I am a firm believer in carbeurated, non computer controlled engines (why i love the 12valve cummins, though the 24 valve is much easier to tune performance wise).

my trade however is in metal work and welding - its what my passion is. here are a few pics of my work. this is my competition bbq smoker - everything on it was recycled from scrap laying around the shop.

and here is our modified subaru to volkswagen power steering hose, just a little work with the ol tig torch...

here is the 40x65 steel building i welded together for a former ag mechanics major

here is the sump from the motor - had to chop 2" off the bottom for clearence and chop the pickup as well - sump pickup sits 1/8" off the bottom of the pan.

and finally here i am getting ready to tear down the motor for headgaskets. only took us 4 hours to tear it down and put it back together.

so now that ive got that out of the way, i need help. im completely dumbfounded as far as the whole stick wires into another wire and count the flashes, thus why i really need a code reader or a way to hook up my laptop to it. if someone has one i will be more than willing to pay the shipping to texas and back - you can even send it to our mechanics department at Stephen F Austin state university in Nacogdoches. im ready to finish this project and get onto my personal ford f350 diesel swap. im gonna put a 12valve in a 1997 4door long bed F350 4wd with a beefed up 6speed tranny with a modified 6th gear for highway driving.

Last edited by smokin_dodge; 04-07-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:49 PM
Phil & Belha

Thumbs up Re: motor running rich/building up

It looks like your professional wiring guy has stripped out a few wires that he shouldn't have. According to my service manual, this is how it should be wired:

The ECU has four connectors. Left to Right: B62 (26pin), B61 (16pin), B60 (12 pin), B59 (22 pin).

For the "Check Engine" light, take a small 12v bulb, connect one side to +12v (ignition switched) and the other side to connector B62 pin 19 of the ECU. The ECU will supply ground on this pin when it wants to turn the light on.

To read the codes you need to connect B61 pin 12 to ground and then turn on the ignition, Connector B59 pin 22 the correct ground to use. But any ground will do.

To clear the codes you need to connect B61 pins 12 and 13 both to ground and then turn on the ignition.

I don't see a select monitor connector in the photos, so if you do manage to get your hands on a scanner, this is how you need to wire it.

Pin 2 of the select monitor goes to B61 pin 8.
Pin 3 of the select monitor goes to B61 pin 7.
Pin 5 of the select monitor goes to +12v ignition switched.
Pin 8 of the select monitor goes to B61 pin 15. (This wire may not be necessary).
Pin 9 of the select monitor goes to B59 pin 11.

I hope that helps.

Phil.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II