Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Suspension

Old 10-15-2009, 08:43 PM

Registered SVX
STI struts, what will work?

Are there STI struts that are workable in our SVX? I'm interested in cost of struts. If I'm looking at Koni's that cost more that the car is worth, forget about it. At 117k miles on a 92 what issues should I consider re struts?
Old 10-15-2009, 08:46 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Re: STI struts, what will work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dromano View Post
Are there STI struts that are workable in our SVX? I'm interested in cost of struts. If I'm looking at Koni's that cost more that the car is worth, forget about it. At 117k miles on a 92 what issues should I consider re struts?
Nope, might as well sell the car worth less than a set of struts

Tom
Old 10-15-2009, 08:51 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by yt View Post

Tom
So, you interested in buying my 92 for less than strut cost?
Old 10-15-2009, 08:54 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

nope... Better off turning it in for Cash for clunkers...

ITS AN 18 year old car!!!! with over 100k miles on it. IT IS GOING TO NEED STRUTS!

Don't like it? get rid of it

Tom
Old 10-15-2009, 09:02 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
nope... Better off turning it in for Cash for clunkers...

ITS AN 18 year old car!!!! with over 100k miles on it. IT IS GOING TO NEED STRUTS!

Don't like it? get rid of it

Tom
Tom, you got a hard heart. Cash for clunkers is history if you've missed the local news
Old 10-15-2009, 09:15 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I just think Tom as well as many others are sick of people being cheap with these cars. They are 13-18 years old and are going to need work and things replaced. They are uncommon cars with very little to no parts compatability with other vehicles and so people need to be prepared for any costs needed for routine maintenance as well as parts wearing out due to age as well as wear and tear.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:17 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:

Tom
On what basis of expertese do you eliminate All WRX STI struts to be modified for the SVX? I read a thread where someone was doing exactly that. How do I know you know what you say is fact?
Old 10-15-2009, 09:23 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
I just think Tom as well as many others are sick of people being cheap with these cars. They are 13-18 years old and are going to need work and things replaced. They are uncommon cars with very little to no parts compatability with other vehicles and so people need to be prepared for any costs needed for routine maintenance as well as parts wearing out due to age as well as wear and tear.
So, Are you up for paying more for parts than your SVX is worth? There's a line between money pits and those that love the car and can't throw money at every need and don't want to get rid of the car they love, you represent to me a hard ass rich person.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:27 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dromano View Post
So, Are you up for paying more for parts than your SVX is worth? There's a line between money pits and those that love the car and can't throw money at every need and don't want to get rid of the car they love, you represent to me a hard ass rich person.
Actually I'm broke as S*** and in fact my SVX has a blown high clutch in the transmission so I am left with only 1st and 2nd gear. However I don't complain and still love the car. It also has a slight motor knock however it has never left me stranded in a little over a year and if I did have any money, I would gladly put a lot of it into my car that is only "worth" about $2500 with a properly running motor and functioning transmission. I put worth in quotes because that is the book value on it. To me, I wouldn't sell it unless someone actually decided to give me over 2x that in its current state. But that's just me I guess.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:34 PM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX

Mine has cost me a bit to keep going, but that is not a complaint. As you said, it has never left me stranded.

I picked up my '92 over 4 years ago, and it now has almost 277K riding on the struts, but they get switched out next week. Oem
June '91 Claret LSL #1733, Enkei RS-5's x 16", Original Paint, accompanied by Beautifully speckeled Front Bumper, Sony Audio Components, Small Car Shift Kit, "How to" Hood Lifts {Perfect}, "15 Minute Suspension Mod"
Motorsport Floor Mats. Perma-Cool External T. Filter, New Front Axels {1/2008}. "Classic Radiators" unit "$36 coil alternative" and Tranny rebuild at 287k 8/2012

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles
Old 10-15-2009, 09:36 PM

Registered SVX

Just be weary of the OEM as most have been sitting on the shelves for years and it seems quite a few that have gone that route have had them fail. (and usually its after the 1 yr MFG warranty)
Old 10-15-2009, 09:39 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

A $180,000 house that you buy for $45,000 is a "fixer-upper". How much did you pay for your $30k+ car?

Subaru spits out more Imprezas in a month than their whole run of SVXi. The bottom line is, if you want a car that doesn't need replacement parts (at least not today), doesn't have expensive, unique, or rare replacement parts, and has a book value higher than a full replacement of a suspension, set of brakes, new tires, and maybe a transaxle...

...you may actually want an Impreza.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:44 PM

Registered SVX
Smile Re: STI struts, what will work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Actually I'm broke as S*** and in fact my SVX has a blown high clutch in the transmission so I am left with only 1st and 2nd gear. However I don't complain and still love the car. It also has a slight motor knock however it has never left me stranded in a little over a year and if I did have any money, I would gladly put a lot of it into my car that is only "worth" about $2500 with a properly running motor and functioning transmission. I put worth in quotes because that is the book value on it. To me, I wouldn't sell it unless someone actually decided to give me over 2x that in its current state. But that's just me I guess.
I paid $10,000 in 1999. I plan to keep it in driving condition till I can no longer crawl in or out due to my age. I have spent $5,000 in maintenance and upgrades, if I can find struts for less than $1,200 I will search to do so. I figure a buyer would give me $1,000 today as I spit in his eye for my SVX.
My guess is we are about 4 generations apart. I'm cheap and proud of it, being cheap has made me an inventor, what you got to show for your spending excesses? I have a tranny that has been completely rebuilt that is available for your 2 gear mess, the price is $2,000. Still think I,m cheap?
Old 10-15-2009, 09:55 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
A $180,000 house that you buy for $45,000 is a "fixer-upper". How much did you pay for your $30k+ car?

Subaru spits out more Imprezas in a month than their whole run of SVXi. The bottom line is, if you want a car that doesn't need replacement parts (at least not today), doesn't have expensive, unique, or rare replacement parts, and has a book value higher than a full replacement of a suspension, set of brakes, new tires, and maybe a transaxle...

I can't fit in an Impreza, my legs are too long. Pregnant roller skates do not work for the tall elderly, get over your youthful ambivalence. Size matters WTF's your point?
Old 10-15-2009, 09:58 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post

WTF does the price of a house have to do with an 18 year old car? This better be good!