Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 09-11-2009, 01:56 PM

locked out of my laptop

I got a pretty sweet deal on a laptop from a national pawnshop chain. But here's the problem, it is locked with a password on the Windows Vista start screen. It isn't a BIOS lock, but the windows log-in user screen. The pawn shop doesn't know the password and didn't supply me with the Vista Recovery CDvd. So any ideas on how I can get into this thing?
It's a Dell PP33L
Old 09-11-2009, 02:21 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Re: locked out of my laptop

No you stole the laptop and you trying to find a way to make it usable now.. lol J/K

No intention to promote the Warez forums, but they are your best bet. Unless there is a Nerd amongst us who would jump into assisting you with your problem.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
No you stole the laptop and you trying to find a way to make it usable now.. lol J/K

No intention to promote the Warez forums, but they are your best bet. Unless there is a Nerd amongst us who would jump into assisting you with your problem.
/sarcasm Oh you got me! I stole a laptop and gave the guy money for causing him trouble

Ok, I may try there. Damn my old laptop is a POS
Old 09-11-2009, 02:26 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2daniel1981 View Post
/sarcasm Oh you got me! I stole a laptop and gave the guy money for causing him trouble
Oh yeah? Show us your receipt

hahahaha again J/K

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
Oh yeah? Show us your receipt

hahahaha again J/K
I can! Took a guys laptop and gave him my Visa card number, On my this is funny
Old 09-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX

Try one of these:

Password Recovery

Our IT guy here at work uses one of these to crack old computers from years before he started. I'd ask him which one, but he's really obnoxious, and I try not to deal with him if I don't have to. What I can say is; it's a boot CD that he puts in at startup, then he can reset the Admin password to whatever he likes. Restart, enter your new password, and enjoy your stolen laptop.
'92 LS-L "Bandit" #362 formerly dark teal, repainted by prev owner
Mods: ECUTune 2v7f, Earthworm bushings, Pioneer DVD/Bluetooth phone, Infinity Reference all around, tint, 17" wheels, custom seat belt computer, velcro visor

Buying parts is like car payments. Someday she'll be all mine.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Dub View Post
Try one of these:

Password Recovery

Our IT guy here at work uses one of these to crack old computers from years before he started. I'd ask him which one, but he's really obnoxious, and I try not to deal with him if I don't have to. What I can say is; it's a boot CD that he puts in at startup, then he can reset the Admin password to whatever he likes. Restart, enter your new password, and enjoy your stolen laptop.
Thanks but I'm looking for more of a free way to do it. If I wanted to pay I could have just taken it to a shop, but I'd like to keep my $30-$50 if I can.

Ok we can stop the "stolen" jokes now...
Old 09-11-2009, 03:04 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Why not just reformat if you have the serial key that should be listed on the laptop? If not, you cal look around the internet on how to get into your stolen laptop

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 09-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
... into your stolen laptop
LoL nice reputation now...

Old 09-11-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
Why not just reformat if you have the serial key that should be listed on the laptop? If not, you cal look around the internet on how to get into your stolen laptop
Cant reformat if you cant get in and dont have the disk
Old 09-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Cant reformat if you cant get in and dont have the disk
Yes you can reformat without getting in. Killdisk will whip it, and getting a disk is easier then you think ........ I'd rather not get in any kind of trouble here.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild

Last edited by Wikedjuggalo; 09-11-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX

Ok enough with the joking, let's see if we can help our fellow SVXer enjoy his new toy.
Try to download THIS and see if it works for you. This is as much as I can do...

Old 09-11-2009, 04:05 PM

Unless you think there is something that you may want on that computer I agree with whoever said to reformat it. There are several ways of doing this but always easier if you have another computer that does work to help you look stuff up and download what may be needed after.
First you need to get a functional OS on there. You mentioned Vista. Well You should be able to make or easily find an ISO Vista install file online. Make a bootable cd. With that CD or any vista install CD you put it in your new computer and if it doesn't give you the option to boot from the CD then you will need to go and make sure booting from the CD is set as an option in the bios. Let it boot from the CD then format the whole drive. Install the software when you are asked for a software key any computer with windows should have the original windows software key sticker on the bottom. Hopefully it was originally vista if not you may need to go to XP until you can find another way to do vista. Personally I downloaded and installed the Windows 7 RC (release candidate) OS and I like it way better than vista. When in doubt it, if you just want to be able to use the basics on your new pc now then download ubuntu that can atleast let you surf the internet since it has native drivers. Good luck when in doubt or if you have a problem Google is and can be your best friend.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:28 PM

trust me, was the first thing to do on my list
Old 09-11-2009, 04:39 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
trust me, was the first thing to do on my list
The easy part is getting a boot disk, check for stickers on the laptop for a cdkey.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: