Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Engine Management

Old 04-14-2009, 06:48 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX
Launch Control with Hydra EMS

I didn't want to post in the hydra thread as this is an add on feature, and not currently something they are working on. I wanted to see though if it was something some people are interested in, especially once some of us end up turboing.

Tom, is it possible to offer this as an option? how hard would it be to set up? is it something we can just set up the button and order the cable from hydra and just set it on our own or is it more complex??
Old 04-15-2009, 06:37 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Launch Control with Hydra EMS

Its really simple. Basically you need to wire a switch to a couple of the aux inputs on the hydra harness. That switch will basically complete the circuit to power or grnd, Your choice, and enable the traction control which you need to setup. The setup is simple... Take the car out and give it you best shot on dry pavement. Take note of the highest change in vehicle speed (AKA vehicle speed delta). Then get on some gravel or sand and make the tires break loose. and note the delta. You would want your traction control delta somewhere in between. Then you can write a map for how much fuel or timing you want the ECU to pull when you cross the threshold, which will in essence create your traction control. Once you cross back over the threshold into normal delta the normal timing and fuel maps will be reinstated

Tom
Old 04-16-2009, 07:27 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

Is this something that will add any significant benefit?
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 04-16-2009, 08:14 AM
Maniac modifier

Depends. More or less is it is a nice feature but if you know how to drive the car properly, you will never need it

Tom
Old 04-16-2009, 11:21 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

Launch control just helps with consistency on launch and helps with a more powerful launch, basically letting a computer control your rev limits for best performance on launch. But, all in all like tom said it's not needed if you can drive the car well. It's more of something to help get your 1/4 times down just slightly. It's kinda like a racing luxury feature. lot of wrxers and evo guys use them.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:23 AM
Banned

Registered SVX

would the map be supplementary to the original map or would I have to modify the base map?
Old 04-19-2009, 04:07 PM
Maniac modifier

base maps are your timing a fuel maps. Select maps like some starting maps and coolant temp trims are included. The rest is up to the user

Tom
Old 04-19-2009, 06:10 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

oh I see so it's kind of like the stand alone EMS has almost different little applications for different systems of the car??? So what else requires a button and extra wires other than the lc?
Old 04-19-2009, 08:27 PM
Maniac modifier

You really should read the user manual for it. All of this is explained and the link to Hydra's website is in the original thread

Tom
Old 04-19-2009, 08:45 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow

Most of the WRX/EVO/DSM/ other guys that use the launch control use it to build boost on their turbo'd engines at the line.

The actual traction control part can only reduce power though and takes control away from you, so I'm not sure why this would be at all beneficial (unless you have a fwd and actually set it up using wheels speed sensors)

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 04-21-2009, 07:46 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivemusicnow View Post
Most of the WRX/EVO/DSM/ other guys that use the launch control use it to build boost on their turbo'd engines at the line.

The actual traction control part can only reduce power though and takes control away from you, so I'm not sure why this would be at all beneficial (unless you have a fwd and actually set it up using wheels speed sensors)
interesting response, I hadn't heard that, but the idea of putting the launch control was in my mind for if/when I turbo, I didn't realize it would be hurtful to power and control on a N/A motor
Old 04-22-2009, 08:45 PM
Maniac modifier

A studder launch is good for consistancy and fine tuning your launch... But unless you are trying to race brackets... not hugely important if you know how to launch the car well.

Tom
Old 04-23-2009, 05:09 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
A studder launch is good for consistancy and fine tuning your launch... But unless you are trying to race brackets... not hugely important if you know how to launch the car well.

Tom
I C I C psst tom... If I can get a checkbook in the next few days I'll be sending a check.... YAY!