No. The Italians designed only 040% of it. 1 0.00%
No. The Italians designed only 030% of it. 2 0.00%
No. The Italians designed only 020% of it. 1 0.00%
No. The Italians designed only 000% of it. 0 0%
I dont care, these polls are crap 8,654,225 77.30%
I dont care, these polls are crap 2,541,548 22.70%
Voters: 11195783. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-14-2008, 09:03 AM

Re: Is this attached picture an Italian car ? Yes it is.

svxistentialist, I agree with you 100% that the svx is Italian designed however it would take it a step further and say it is an Italian car. I say this because if one where to prefer to view this car from the perspective of the Italian design house then it is there right to describe the svx as an Italian car.
Unfortunately those that have decided to view it as "Italian car" have been bashed by a "vocal majority" here in this forum.

Based on your argument svxistentialist, the iphone would be considered a Chinese product because it is made in China. If you can make that argument then way would someone be bashed for making the corresponding argument that the iphone is an American product because it is spec'ed, designed by Apple. If I worked in the Chinese factory making the iphone I would describe the iphone as "one of ours".

solarsvx, what did you have in mind when you wore the sticker in your picture. Where you trying to say "this is an Italian car", "this is an Italian designed car", or "I like this sticker" ?

You make me feel as if you think that I "outed" you or somethin.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001

Anthony, the more I think of this the more I am convincing myself that the SVX is not an Italian car, and I am actually going along with your logic here. Although the svx's design (the body) may have been developed by Giugiaro, the remaining piece's, the H-6 (a work of art), the 4EAT (bastard of all transmissions), suspension, all mechanical working parts, are inarguably Subaru. A blanket statement that the SVX is an Italian car is incorrect, and I know we are going to go back and forth on this, haha. But think of it this way...we have all seen those kit cars...the ones with a Ferrari like shell, however, the powertrain is GM, now would you say that that car is an Italian car? It's a bit oversimplified and not 100% applicable to the SVX's situation, however, it does have its similarities.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:13 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Anthony, it is not what you are saying... It is how you say it Whenever you present a topic of this nature, you don't sound like you are asking for opinions, it makes us feel like you are forcing yours upon others. But I digress...

There are many things of this nature that have titles similar. For example, do you feel newer USDM Subarus are Japanese cars? They are built in the US but they are Subarus and were designed and initially built in Japan. Just because of Factory location, it does not mean that is where the car is "from". Granted while this topic is mostly left open to opinions and personal feelings, there is no easy way to answer the topic presented to us.

The best way to ask this question would be, Do you feel the SVX is an Italian car?... then wait for what people's feelings are on the matter. Do not try to force your opinions on them.

At this point, I would think it unfair to label the SVX "Italian" considering that it takes all credit away from the Japanese engineers that built this car. It is however, fair to say it was designed to reflect an Italian theme, which is likely why they called in Giugiaro in the first place

Tom
Old 10-14-2008, 09:14 AM

PHP Code:
Why does this justification of the car being Italian press so hard for so many
Why tom? Because everyone secretly wants to be Italian! Now lets go have some Squingili and Canoli's
Old 10-14-2008, 09:16 AM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 View Post
PHP Code:
Why tom? Because everyone secretly wants to be Italian! Now lets go have some Squingili and Canoli's
No bruchetta?

Tom
Old 10-14-2008, 09:28 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 View Post
PHP Code:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
No bruchetta?

Tom
Mama mia, here we go again......

White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-14-2008, 09:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to JLHollowX13

there have been many projects throughout the history of vehicles, and other things as well, that have been built upon many peoples influence and input. you cannot say that the svx is one or the other. i mean, wasnt the statue of liberty from france? (i may be rusty on my history here but i believe it was shipped over piece by piece as a gift). anyway, that is a true american symbol, but it was not our making. the same goes for the svx. it is a meld of good ideas put into one from different people coming from different parts of the world. Subaru would not have hired an italian designer if they did not want his input. they would not have spent money if they were not going to listen to him. in the end i dont think either party can take, nor deserves, full credit for the svx.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:38 AM

TomsSVX, huh ?

Its not the way I say things its that you are not comfortable with my posts here.
I think it is more the case that you see a post by anthonybuchanan and you get defensive, aggressive and you put on your "bash the messenger cloths".

If you would just follow along here I can convince you that its not my approach but its your perception of me.

Do this okay. Just bare with me a second here and follow these steps.

1. Close you eyes.
2. Have someone read my original post for this thread to you however imagine its was posted by RSVX or someone else you are more comfortable with.
3. Okay, open your eyes.

Now, do you see what I mean.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:58 AM

I'm thinking the answer lies somewhere between the two stories....

The show car looks almost 100% like italdesigns normal "eh lets puke out a new concept car and see if a car company wants to pay put a badge on it for a motor show". The Production SVX to me doesn't look like it really started from the show car either. lots of changes to stuff you don't usualy change unless your show car was pie in the sky unrelated to anything in reality. Which means years between show car and reality. My guess is the SVX existed as something more agressive than the legacy on subarus drawing boards, and when they bought the show car they went on to integrate the things they liked while removing some of Italdesigns flying saucer tendancies.

Anyhoo, I doubt anyone would say its italian unless maybe they are trying to keep up a old beater SVX and are used Alfas or something. For me the interior feels almost 1/2 german.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:03 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

I just cannot get why this thread is here for?
Either Japanese, Chinese, Italian, Swedish... or freakin' Tibetian... the SVX is the car I love to drive...

Can we lock that stupid pointless thread please?

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:06 AM

I don't think this thread is/was pointless, for example I learned something I didn not know before just from Paddles post....
Old 10-14-2008, 11:27 AM

This is kind of what I have been going through in trying to let the "Best of France and Italy" car show to allow the SVX. No one doubts that it it is an Italian design, by Guigiaro. What they are saying is that it isn't made in Italy, therefore it doesn't have "soul." I feel it has just as much "soul" as my Alfa Romeo. Going on a long trip, it's a toss-up which I'd drive. Styling? Do you prefer ItalDesign or Pininfarina?
Yes, I'd like to show it at their show. As to which is the "better" car, I don't care. I'm just happy to make a choice before any trip as to which one I'll take, because they are both such a joy to drive.
Paul
'93 Mercury (Aussie) Capri
Old 10-14-2008, 12:34 PM

Silverspear, I didnt understand why you thought we couldnt just discuss this matter. Its so harmless.

Then I read your location and realized that, based on where you live, you are probably more familair with people being told to, "not talk about that" or "dont talk about this" or " this is pointless so shutup".

Please allow this discussion to just continue.

Also, based on the positive and constructive feedback that I am not use to having when I have started a thread in the past, I am thinking I might have a few friends here now whereas before I felt hated.

So Silverspear, please let this discussion continue without thoses types of comments.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:47 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonybuchanan View Post
TomsSVX, huh ?

Its not the way I say things its that you are not comfortable with my posts here.
I think it is more the case that you see a post by anthonybuchanan and you get defensive, aggressive and you put on your "bash the messenger cloths".

If you would just follow along here I can convince you that its not my approach but its your perception of me.

Do this okay. Just bare with me a second here and follow these steps.

1. Close you eyes.
2. Have someone read my original post for this thread to you however imagine its was posted by RSVX or someone else you are more comfortable with.
3. Okay, open your eyes.

Now, do you see what I mean.
Its not you that bothers me... It is simply the way you say things... You spew your opinions out and leave no room for listening to others.

Tom
Old 10-14-2008, 12:54 PM

TomsSVX, did you try my experiment ?