Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Engine Management

Old 11-04-2008, 03:28 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: EM Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnybeas View Post
would like to do this soon even if I can't afford the engine build and turbo yet.... I'd like to bring her to big valley performance and see what wonders they can work.... hopefully before feb????
First thing to do would be to contact "Big Valley Performance" to make sure they are familiar and/or certified with tuning Hydra EMS. Like I said before, I will have more information on this after I get back East

Tom
Old 11-04-2008, 07:54 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

Alright, will do. Keep me informed about your training and such tom, just talked to bobby. I'm really excited to see what the hydra can do!
Old 11-10-2008, 11:02 PM
Maniac modifier

super-ninja edit

Last edited by TomsSVX; 12-29-2008 at 07:29 PM. Reason: moved post to 1st post
Old 11-11-2008, 08:46 AM
Registered fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Ok got some clear answers to many of your questions listed below.

MAF???
- The Nemesis software calculates load on the basis of a MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) Sensor in combination with an intake air temp sensor(needs to be fitted).
* The advantage of using a MAP...
-Intake restrictions to a single pipe are non-existent so you can effectively run dual intakes, or any intake configuration you think will work best.
- A more accurate reading of actual engine load especially for forced induction applications.
Tom, I presume that like any good aftermarket ECU you can set the 'range' and sensitivity of the MAP and TPS depending on your engine's running parameters.

Example: with big cams comes very low idle vacuum, therefore instead of reading from 20+ inches of vacuum to zero as a range, you might be reading from 8-10 inches of idle vacuum down to zero at WOT. Otherwise the ECU would think you're already at part-throttle even though you're at idle. In a case of low idle vacuum you'd usually rely more on the TPS values.

Hope this makes sense.

EG33 Impreza tweaks
Old 11-11-2008, 08:50 AM
Maniac modifier

yes that makes total sense. The Nemesis has the ability to blend any percentage of TPS/MAP readings to calculate load on a motor like this... Or a individual thottle body engine

Tom
Old 11-11-2008, 10:13 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

AWESOME! I'm way excited! this sounds awesome! I can't wait untill you have the maps set up. I haven't heard back from Victor yet a BVP but I'll try calling later this week. It's guys like you Tom that really make this a unique and awesome car community!! Thanks for all your dedication and work!
Old 11-14-2008, 07:58 PM
Maniac modifier

Thanks, you can always expect AWD to be on the forefront of SVX development in both modification and retrofitting. Here is the plan once I get back from out west...

- Get the base maps up and running on Mike's stock 5mt
- Start building maps for my silver in it current condition.
- Dyno tune Sov13t's car to see exactly what we can squeeze out of a mostly stock engine
- Dyno tune my Silver for pump gas and race fuel (103)
- Establish compatability with Automatic cars
- Build from scratch traction control and launch control maps

Now remember this will be getting done while I am running the shop, so it will not be an overnight developement. Once we have the base maps, I will officially release the open availability of the units and their regular prices. Also, keep in mind, the units will only come with the base maps which will allow you to run the engine on a very normal basis. Dyno-tuned maps will not be included with the units for a couple reasons. More importantly, the fact that every application is going to be different in some way or another, to make a map on the ragged edge of the engine's capabilities would potentially run the risk of damaging another vehicle with a different configuration or one running poorly. This is why I suggest a certified Hydra tuner to make custom maps for your application.

Tom
Old 11-14-2008, 09:37 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

YT,
Did you get the emails I forwarded to you?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 11-15-2008, 12:46 AM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
YT,
Did you get the emails I forwarded to you?
-Bill
Just saw them now, you really gotta stop using gmail

Give me a call tomorrow. I will be at the shop for the day making arrangements and dealing with some paperwork.

Tom
Old 11-15-2008, 06:21 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

Tom,

Talked to a buddy of mine who's in my college auto club and is an STI owner, and he heads up most of our connections with BVP and is familiar with what they tune. I guess they have two guys who do the tunes, one Jester who doesn't do hydras and the other guy from puerto rico or costa rica somewhere down south, I don't remember. He's the one that knows hydras. He only comes out on occasions though to tune a bunch of people in a certain time period, his rates are higher because everyone lookin for his services splits payin for him to come out n stay I guess. Lots of WRXers and STI guysfrom nassioc go in on it. Anyway, it can be done so I'd like to get in with you guys and get one with the base maps to use until I can get BVP to tune me.

As far as when I could actually afford it, that's a different story. Judging by how slow the navy has been on processing the paperwork I don't think I'll get my bonus until January. So unless I get some money for xmas I won't be able to afford it until the bonus comes through. Can I get on a list for one? Lemme know.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:28 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Tom,

Talked to a buddy of mine who's in my college auto club and is an STI owner, and he heads up most of our connections with BVP and is familiar with what they tune. I guess they have two guys who do the tunes, one Jester who doesn't do hydras and the other guy from puerto rico or costa rica somewhere down south, I don't remember. He's the one that knows hydras. He only comes out on occasions though to tune a bunch of people in a certain time period, his rates are higher because everyone lookin for his services splits payin for him to come out n stay I guess. Lots of WRXers and STI guysfrom nassioc go in on it. Anyway, it can be done so I'd like to get in with you guys and get one with the base maps to use until I can get BVP to tune me.

As far as when I could actually afford it, that's a different story. Judging by how slow the navy has been on processing the paperwork I don't think I'll get my bonus until January. So unless I get some money for xmas I won't be able to afford it until the bonus comes through. Can I get on a list for one? Lemme know.
Its good that you found a Hydra Tuner locally. As for the group buy, that list is done. Bobby, Kirill and myself are the only ones ordering from the first batch. Once their availability is open, you can order it though me at any time

tom
Old 11-15-2008, 08:27 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

Hey Tom,

Sorry about the AIM session earlier... Internet in the garage is spotty.. The money is being worked out now. I had a couple things come up and had to move some $ around. I will drop a check off for you on Monday morning...
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 11-24-2008, 12:33 AM
Banned

Registered SVX

Updates?? Results??
Old 11-24-2008, 08:21 AM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Updates?? Results??
Patience?

Tom
Old 11-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

lol... I'm too damn excited! I know it's gonna take lots of work and time... And I thank ya for it! I'm just really looking forward to seeing what it'll do, sorry! didn't mean to pressure ya!