Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-29-2001, 09:34 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
<<But we all have our own pardigms and operate inside the box they construct. My career is to help companies think outside their paradigms.>>

Oh god. You're one of "those." Please save me from the corporate consultant that looks at "paradigms" as anything other than "twenty cents," and "thinking outside the box" is anything more than noticing all your Cheerios have been eaten and need to be replaced.

I really am saying this somewhat tongue in cheek, yet, halfway seriously. Mostly because of statements like "Perception is reality." Perception IS reality until the reality bites you on your proverbial posterior and bursts your perceptions. Perception, for the longest time, was that STP Oil Treatment was the "fountain of youth" for you engine. Reality came crashing down on people when engines started failing and when they opened them up, found the hard crusty residue, that STP had become, was flaking off and clogging vital lifelines to the engine's lubrication system. Why the stuff is still on the market is an amazement to me. Yes, perceptions CAN be realities in our minds, but, if I perceive that I reach into a fire and it will not burn me, I am in for a rude "reality check" upon thrusting my hand in the fire.

<<Purchasing is all about feeling. How are you going to feel after you purchase something is a strong driving force in your actions.>>

Yes, you're right. And, it's a sad, sad thing. Marketers are emotional "vultures," circling and feeding on the "feelings" of the innocent. As far as "caring" about the feelings of others "after" the sale, I don't believe that holds true any more. For instance, let's take the herbal diet remedy market. If you run a cable commercial, nationwide, once per hour -- "Operators are standing by, call within the next ten minutes . . . -- and you're reaching roughly three million people and you get perhaps a 10 percent response at 29.95 per bottle, even with a money-back guarantee, you know A) The higher percentage of buyers WONT return the product, and B) You're going to make a great deal of money off your "snake oil." And if people don't get the results they want, you're not worried about it. You'll let your promotion take its course, collect your money 'til sales begin to slump. Then, you'll take a break, come back in two or three months, and crank it all up again, targeting another demo, geo or psycho - graphic. One of the greatest oxymorons known to man is "truth in advertising."

<<Please don't kid yourself into thinking that the marketing departments of the world aren't aware of this fact.>>

Don't worry. I won't kid myself. I spent most of my 30 year career in the Advertising and Marketing business. It began to sicken me almost as much as chasing ambulances as a news reporter. I still have to write "convincing" copy -- much of it hype and and a lot of it pure boloney -- I just don't have to sell it, or buy the time to convince an all too naive public.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 05-29-2001, 09:36 AM
lightning_8669

<<We're begining to sound like students of Plato sitting around the Parthenon>>

My grandfather mastered in philosophy. The other grandfather owned a brewery. Best of both worlds? And I think the only oil Plato pondered was from olives.

But the perception thing is tghe absolute truth. Blue to you is different than blue to me.
Old 05-29-2001, 09:51 AM
lightning_8669

<<Oh god. You're one of "those." >>

OH NOOOO, I'VE BEEN FOUND OUT!!!!! No, I'm not one of "those". I won't give you the canned speach about "thinking outside the box" but in all concepts (well, almost all) there is something useful. What I do is help people see the useful and apply it to their situation. Of course in the process they usually see the useless and discard it. At the least that is the intention. In every case I come away learning as much as they do. I'm not going to come in and "re-engineer" your company. I'm more like the boy along the parade route saying "Hey, the King isn't wearing any clothes! Is the Queen in this parade too?". I've never failed to save a company enough to pay for me several times over in the first 12 months. And the funny thing is nobody has ever had to lose there job. And that's the part I like the most.
Old 05-29-2001, 10:06 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
<<In every case I come away learning as much as they do. I'm not going to come in and "re-engineer" your company.>>

Well then, God bless you and your work. "Most" are merely "grown-up" versions of my 13 year old. You can't tell them nothin' they don't already know.

<<I've never failed to save a company enough to pay for me several times over in the first 12 months. >>

Stop it, you're causing me to have to change my opinion of you. Can you hear my paradigm shifting?

<<And the funny thing is nobody has ever had to lose there job.>>

Okay, now I'm going to have to classify you as "A man among men." Carry on, sir, in your endeavors, and may you begin a school to teach "Those" how to do things correctly.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 05-29-2001, 11:10 AM
lightning_8669

<<Can you hear my paradigm shifting? >>

You mean that sound like a spent SVX gearbox going into third?

<<may you begin a school to teach "Those" how to do things correctly. >>

The trick is to convince someone who is standing in a puddle of water that their feet are, indeed, wet.
Old 05-29-2001, 12:06 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by lightning_8669
<<Can you hear my paradigm shifting? >>

You mean that sound like a spent SVX gearbox going into third?

<<may you begin a school to teach "Those" how to do things correctly. >>

The trick is to convince someone who is standing in a puddle of water that their feet are, indeed, wet.
I will be the first to admit that I am opinionated and stubborn. My wife will be the second. However, I will listen to the peal of reason if it rings VERY LOUDLY! My shifts are usually like a
10-year-old's first time driving that "old tractor" you were speaking of and trying to shift gears "on a roll." Needless to say, I "metal flaked" many a tractor gearbox in my "younger" days.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 05-29-2001, 12:17 PM
lightning_8669

<<I "metal flaked" many a tractor gearbox in my "younger" days. >>

Well you got me beat. I don't remember the "younger days"

Ahh, but wait a minute, maybe this is something. Aren't our perceptions formed early in life? Maybe I need to revisit the "lost decade" and see if I can find out why I turned out the way I have. Obviously grinding tractor trannys has had an impact on your life Lord knows what I must have been up to although I doubt even he would be willing to talk about it.
Old 05-29-2001, 12:29 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by lightning_8669
<<I "metal flaked" many a tractor gearbox in my "younger" days. >>

Well you got me beat. I don't remember the "younger days"

Ahh, but wait a minute, maybe this is something. Aren't our perceptions formed early in life? Maybe I need to revisit the "lost decade" and see if I can find out why I turned out the way I have. Obviously grinding tractor trannys has had an impact on your life Lord knows what I must have been up to although I doubt even he would be willing to talk about it.

When your paradigms have led you from the farm, to hippydom, through yuppydom to "okay, I now have a life and have no need to conform, even to non conformity-dom," one's perceptions can become a bit, um, skewed. It is also a challenge to be staring "50" in the face and not being at all prepared since you didn't expect to live beyond 30. Yikes! Is there a "shrink" in the house?!?!
Subaru Ambassador

Old 05-29-2001, 12:37 PM
lightning_8669

<<It is also a challenge to be staring "50" in the face and not being at all prepared since you didn't expect to live beyond 30. >>

So what row on that bus were you on? I don't recall seeing you there. Yes it seems we are uniquely prepared to field marketing schemes aimed at the "holy sh#$ I lived past 30!" crowd. All I can say is it's a good thing people like Keith Richards were around, otherwise more people would have experimented with drugs. As it was there was barely enough to go around

Yes it does seem now that we have outlived our initial life expectancy and must now strive to not outlive our usefulness.

Now *that's* going to be a challenge!
Old 05-29-2001, 10:22 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Wink

OK - I've remained silent long enough. While you paradigm shifters, and would-be philosophers debate the merits of filter "A" vs. the effects of the flap of a butterfly's wings in Argentina, I will give you the final word on oil. You don't need it! That's right - It's just another OPEC/Texas/Alaskan conspiracy to get us to pour this slippery stuff down the tubes to line the pockets of the already insanely wealthy. Do you think the Rooskis, and Norwegians actually put oil in their aircraft engines, and expected them to turn over? No way! Oil simply gets too thick no matter what the corporate shills would have us believe about "viscosity", a word made up to dupe the masses. That's right, and do you know what I use in my SVX, and in all my cars that have gotten over 200K with nary a problem? Honey. Yes.... HONEY! Natures way of saying, "You're Lubed". Ever wonder why the honey bee is able to fly NON-STOP over 50 miles from its hive to its preferred grove of nectar and back again, loaded down with pollen, yet able to beat its wings at 50 thousand strokes per minute, without ever blowing a head gasket? And bumble bees, "Can't fly, too heavy", according to all laws of physics. I rest my case. Oh sure, your saying, this guy's insane. He's pouring quarts Sue-Bee down the spout. No, that would be silly. I know that! That's why I use the honey specially formulated by Norwegian chemists for internal combustion engines. Motor Honey! Sure, you've all seen it at Pep Boys, and turned your noses up at it, but it really works. And the best thing about it is that it's herbal, non-polluting, and mixes real well with gin! So... I hope you'll all appreciate me sharing this knowledge with you. Gotta go now & whip up a few cocktails. Tsu.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 05-30-2001, 06:02 AM
lightning_8669

<<and mixes real well with gin! >>

Look out aredub, we got us a gin drinker!

Motor Honey, hmmm? And here I thought that stuff was just for toast. Looks like we need to contact their crack marketing department and get them on this gin mixing aspect right away. I'm thinking a 1/2 hour infommercial immediately following Ron Popiel and his food deydrator. Also think about a half dozen shots a day on QVC might drum up some orders also.

Any other thoughts? (and I can't believe I just asked THAT question )