SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2008, 07:08 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I am sorry to have to say this but, this directly illustrates the lack of reliability I have always expressed relative to "dyno" measurements. In this instance, particularly in respect of the sincerity and ability of operators.
heh... Yeah... It's a great shop, and they get TONS of business... The day I was there they put 27 cars on the dyno that day... But I hope they can get them to me soon... I want to show youguys!!

~ Chris

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 03-19-2008, 08:24 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Chris, can you give them a different email address to try - like a hotmail or gmail?
I'd volunteer mine if you don't have another one to use. We want those plots!
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby View Post
Chris, can you give them a different email address to try - like a hotmail or gmail?
I'd volunteer mine if you don't have another one to use. We want those plots!
I WANT THEM TOO!!! I've given them my gmail and my ncsu email accounts... If both of them aren't working then they are sending them to the wrong accounts somehow... Or the plots are so big that the accounts are kicking them back... There are 7 plots at anywhere from 2 - 3mb each... If they are trying to send them all in the same email then that could be a problem... Going to email the manager and tell them to send one at a time...

~ Chris

** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 03-20-2008, 10:12 AM

Alright guys, because of unknown email issues I finally lost my patience and just told them to burn the graphs to a CD and send it to me... Should be early next week, maybe this weekend ... Again, I'm sorry to keep youguys in suspense for so long

~ Chris

Old 03-20-2008, 10:38 AM
Network Design Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMarineSVX View Post
Alright guys, because of unknown email issues I finally lost my patience and just told them to burn the graphs to a CD and send it to me... Should be early next week, maybe this weekend ... Again, I'm sorry to keep youguys in suspense for so long

~ Chris
You sir, are fired.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:46 PM

Here's a teaser... I don't remember which run this is because the shop sent it as a "test email"... I think this is the first one right after doing the ecutune swap... not sure though...

~ Chris

Old 03-21-2008, 02:40 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
I hope that's your first baseline run, because assuming 25% drivetrain loss, 184 WHP translates to 230 BHP...which is a stock SVX rating.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:11 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
an AWD car has more like 30% loss
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 03-21-2008, 10:05 AM

Registered SVX
It seems that most power estimates figure 25% loss for 5mt and 30% loss for 4EAT, if I remember correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369 View Post
an AWD car has more like 30% loss
http://www.ClassicSoftTrim.com http://ToyoTires.com/tire/pattern/versado-lx Gillman Subaru of Houston
"QuickChange" http://www.TransGo.com/ http://www.PlanetSVX.com Bontrager Works,

'92 Subaru SVX LS-L Claret ORIGINAL OWNER
'92 LS-L Pearl~ '92 LS Pearl~ '92 LS-L Teal~ '92 LS-L Silver~ '95 LSi Polo~
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Pearl~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54143
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Ebony~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54117
Old 03-21-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomake Wan View Post
I hope that's your first baseline run, because assuming 25% drivetrain loss, 184 WHP translates to 230 BHP...which is a stock SVX rating.
And if you read in my earlier posts... A WRX will normally dyno on one of those things at about 165whp... So what are you going to trust? An assumption of a percent loss through the driveline? Or a real life comparison? The real life comparison being that a Stock WRX is faster than a stock SVX. If (with the same tranny's mind you) the WRX cranks out 165whp and is rated from the factory at 227 crank hp, and my run shows 184whp, you do the math... All I know is that I am alot faster than a stock WRX and feels a hell of a lot better to drive now... So I guess that kinda shoots the "percent loss" theory out the window...

~ Chris

Old 03-21-2008, 11:32 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMarineSVX View Post
And if you read in my earlier posts... A WRX will normally dyno on one of those things at about 165whp... So what are you going to trust? An assumption of a percent loss through the driveline? Or a real life comparison? The real life comparison being that a Stock WRX is faster than a stock SVX. If (with the same tranny's mind you) the WRX cranks out 165whp and is rated from the factory at 227 crank hp, and my run shows 184whp, you do the math... All I know is that I am alot faster than a stock WRX and feels a hell of a lot better to drive now... So I guess that kinda shoots the "percent loss" theory out the window...

~ Chris
27% drivetrain loss is pretty close to 30% (227 - 165)

Taking this as a "given", then it looks like Chris' car has ~252 hp at the crank. Kinda makes you believe that 275-300 NA Hp at the crank isn't unrealistic

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker

Last edited by SVXRide; 03-21-2008 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:05 PM

Registered SVX
Chris, Bill, do these numbers sound reasonable?

Stock 4EAT SVX, 30% loss: 70% of 230 equals 161 stock hp
Stock 5MT SVX, 27% loss: 73% of 230 equals 168 5mt hp
Stock 5MT with stebro dyno baseline: 175 hp
S1V5 5MT with stebro dyno result: 183 hp

So, 5mt adds 7 hp to the wheels, Stebro adds 7 hp, and S1V5 programming adds another 8hp. Solid gains totalling a significant 22hp

Sound reasonable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post

Taking this as a "given", then it looks like Chris' car has ~252 hp at the crank. Kinda makes you believe that 275-300 NA Hp at the crank isn't unrealistic

-Bill
http://www.ClassicSoftTrim.com http://ToyoTires.com/tire/pattern/versado-lx Gillman Subaru of Houston
"QuickChange" http://www.TransGo.com/ http://www.PlanetSVX.com Bontrager Works,

'92 Subaru SVX LS-L Claret ORIGINAL OWNER
'92 LS-L Pearl~ '92 LS Pearl~ '92 LS-L Teal~ '92 LS-L Silver~ '95 LSi Polo~
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Pearl~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54143
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Ebony~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54117
Old 03-21-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:

-Bill
I could believe that... I mean it feels about like 250hp. And considering I've been Autocrossing WRXs and STi's for the last 5 years, I can tell the difference... On the 300hp note, I have some VERY VERY interesting information to release... Now I'm not sure who's going to believe me but the point is that I believe the source and when you think about it, it'll start to make sense...

I went over to SOuthern States Subaru just about an hour ago to get my new Strut Top Hats. While there picking them up I ran into the Head Service Tech, a guy named Quincy. He has worked for Subaru longer than most college students have been alive (but not me cause I'm old ) and he actually owns an SVX. We got talking about my suspension noise (he thinks that it is my endlinks bill, waiting to hear about yours) and that eventually turned into talk about the ECUTune Stage 1 that I just did...

That's when he sprung the suprise of the century on me when he said, "You know the origional prototype SVX had 309hp right?"...

WHAT?!?!

He said that he was there when they brought the prototype over to the states for testing in the north and after testing it they decided to "detune it" because american drivers would hurt themselves and try to sue... I thought this was a little stupid, but when you think about it it kinda makes sense... Subaru didn't put a 5 MT in the SVX because they didn't have a manual that could handle the power reliably. Now the 5 MT in the WRX is essentially the same gearbox that they had back then. But it's limit of power and torque are rumored to be right around 300hp. Hmmm, that causes an eyebrow to raise alittle... Then when you think that we DON'T get the Spec. C over here. And all the other engines that are detuned, it starts to make alittle sense... Quincy said that he remembers the parts that they swapped out to take the EG33 from 309hp to 230hp... They swapped the O2 sensors, the fuel injectors and remapped the ECU... I asked him how hard would it be to get the engine up to it's original 309hp figure? He said, get some good wide band O2 sensors, get some larger injectors and have the ECU reprogramed...

So if someone is good with ECU programming, we are essentially sitting on an engine with great potential. Maybe that's one reason why the engine is just so damn bullet proof today. It's only producing about 2/3 the power that it was originally designed to produce...

Anyone else buy into this?? Like I said, I believe quincy because he's worked for Subaru forever, he owns an SVX and he was there when the prototype SVX came to the states...

Learn something new every day huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedForSpeed View Post
Chris, Bill, do these numbers sound reasonable?

Stock 4EAT SVX, 30% loss: 70% of 230 equals 161 stock hp
Stock 5MT SVX, 27% loss: 73% of 230 equals 168 5mt hp
Stock 5MT with stebro dyno baseline: 175 hp
S1V5 5MT with stebro dyno result: 183 hp

So, 5mt adds 7 hp to the wheels, Stebro adds 7 hp, and S1V5 programming adds another 8hp. Solid gains totalling a significant 22hp

Sound reasonable?
Those numbers look pretty accurate. Good job on having the patience to sit down and plug some numbers! I got so sick of that when I was in Engineering here at NC State ... I'd say that's about as close as we are going to get while "guessing"... But it looks like a good guess

~ Chris

Old 03-21-2008, 02:49 PM

I beleive he is correct, when we flow tested the heads off a SVX on a test bench they were coming up with high flow number simlar to a lot of expensives high performance cars. If they had of released it with that much power there was no Auto transmission around that could of stood the power at the time.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
Quote:

-Bill
pissst... check the mod mainia fourms i believe there is some one running a 300 hp eg33 it just runs like **** at idle he is on the NASIOC fourms
need work done? Have tools will travel