How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-19-2008, 09:00 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
After examining everything it seemed right but the guy who helped said the belt was so stretched out that the pulley was at the most far point it could be at. I attempted to check the timing but the mark on the Crack pull seems to be gone. I guess now would be a good time for the new Aluminum crack pulley? Also the pulley's had been replaced once I think because they are NSK, it had come threw the cover like my was doing just on the left side not right. I think they were replaced once.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles

Last edited by Wikedjuggalo; 03-19-2008 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:27 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
the crank pulley doesn't have any good marks for timing you really just need to check the cam pulleys... here is why

The engine operates timing due to three sensors. There is a crank sensor that tells the ECU where the cranshaft rotation is, and how fast it is turning. There is a cam sensor also on the crank which determines where the crank is in relation to the camshafts... See the two cam sensors (one on the crank, the other on the driver's side cam pulley) make sure the timing belt is aligned properly.

BUT if the passenger side cam pulley skips a tooth or two, the ECU has no way of picking this up as the pass side camshafts are not monitored.

So, if there is no CEL that means the timing between the crank and the driver's side camshaft is correct. BUT there is still a possibility that the timing for the pass side camshaft is not correct. If you line up the timing marks on the driver's side pulley to the mark on the cover, the passenger side should also be lined up... If not, then you must realign them.

I hope this is more helpful than confusing

Tom
Old 03-19-2008, 10:57 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
the crank pulley doesn't have any good marks for timing you really just need to check the cam pulleys... here is why

The engine operates timing due to three sensors. There is a crank sensor that tells the ECU where the cranshaft rotation is, and how fast it is turning. There is a cam sensor also on the crank which determines where the crank is in relation to the camshafts... See the two cam sensors (one on the crank, the other on the driver's side cam pulley) make sure the timing belt is aligned properly.

BUT if the passenger side cam pulley skips a tooth or two, the ECU has no way of picking this up as the pass side camshafts are not monitored.

So, if there is no CEL that means the timing between the crank and the driver's side camshaft is correct. BUT there is still a possibility that the timing for the pass side camshaft is not correct. If you line up the timing marks on the driver's side pulley to the mark on the cover, the passenger side should also be lined up... If not, then you must realign them.

I hope this is more helpful than confusing

Tom
Thanks again Tom! I am going to do that, I know these questions probably are annoying but I can't thank ya enough. We both looked at it and attempted to find the Crank Pulley alignment mark but thanks for making that clear it will help in my hunt for finding if is done right. I think the side might be off? Do you think that the Pass. side is off? If the crank pulley doen't play a factor in it that I think we can do it fine. Thanks again for help I know I ask some annoying questions

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
Old 03-19-2008, 11:02 AM
Maniac modifier

Not annoying, because in the future, when someone has a similar problem, they can search and find threads like these, that are over filled with info so they do not have to ask, they can troubleshoot first.

Tom
Old 03-19-2008, 07:13 PM
OOC for a while

Send a message via AIM to 94SubieSVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Not annoying, because in the future, when someone has a similar problem, they can search and find threads like these, that are over filled with info so they do not have to ask, they can troubleshoot first.

Tom

If only we can get them to search...hmmmm
Old 03-25-2008, 07:19 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Well searching I found..

I found this posted by a fellow member SVXfireman I believe (sorry if its wrong) but this might help future people.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 33L_6CYL___VIN_3.pdf (901.9 KB, 79 views)

Old 03-25-2008, 07:28 AM
Maniac modifier

yes, thats all correct

Tom
Old 03-26-2008, 05:27 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
K to end this post, tom was right on all levels :P The idle issue was caused by the pass side cam being off by 2 teeth like tom said. Also I found I needed some Transmission fluid. But thanks a ton tom. You were right!. Its running just fine, minus the leaks she has but she is getting old and having alot of miles . Also Thanks I wanna say FiremanSVX (I believe that is your name) for that service manual thing to do the timing right .

Old 03-26-2008, 06:27 PM
Maniac modifier

Good news, glad all is well once again.

Tom