How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Upcoming Meets

Old 05-27-2002, 09:04 AM
red95svx

N.E. caravan to Indiana

DWayne and I were talking the other day and thought that it would be a good idea to get a caravan together for people in the Northeast who are going to Indiana. We could either all meet at one spot, or stop at several different spots depending on who is going and where you are coming from. Anyone interested??

David
Old 05-27-2002, 02:42 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
David,

I will be out in Indiana a few days early so I can head off any potential problems before they get to be problems. I guess the 'Beautiful Naviguesser' and I will be sharing 'Quality Car Time' together.

Larry III
Old 05-28-2002, 05:57 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Zeppelin Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
Dave,

I'm interested.. I'm in western NY, so maybe we could meet in Ohio somewhere..
Old 05-28-2002, 04:10 PM
red95svx

caravan!!!!!!!

Zep,

Cool. I'll keep you posted. In the meantime see if you can find a spot that would be easy for us to find so we can meet you there (maybe a particular gas station on the highway or a fast food joint or something). That way we can meet up with you and eat/refuel too.

David
Old 05-28-2002, 06:23 PM
The Road Less Traveled

I'll be coming down thru the Buffalo borders, and would be great if I can tailgate one of you guys.

Work something out, and let me know.

VK
Old 05-28-2002, 06:28 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Zeppelin Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
Quote:
Originally posted by vkykam
I'll be coming down thru the Buffalo borders, and would be great if I can tailgate one of you guys.

Work something out, and let me know.

VK
I could meet you in Erie, PA.. That will be on both of our ways.. I'm not sure what time I'll leave my house.. The yahoo map maker says it's going to take about 12 hrs from where I live to get to Lafayette.. When's everybody planning on getting there?
Old 05-28-2002, 06:37 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Zepp,

Actually, I just checked, and according to Streets and Trips, it'll be faster for me to go through Detroit.

Canadian highways, on the most part, are a) free, and b) decently maintained. So I guess I'll go down the Four-Oh-One and thru Detroit instead of Buffalo.

But Streets and Trips is telling me 9 1/2 hours thru Chicago, and 10 1/2 hours thru Highway 24. I doubt that 12 hours is realistic for you, unless your pee breaks are EXTRA long.

VK
Old 05-28-2002, 06:41 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
Zepp,

Actually, I just checked, and according to Streets and Trips, it'll be faster for me to go through Detroit.

VK
When are you planning on coming through Detroit? Pockets, SVX10 and I are going to try and do a caravan from Detroit. Cool to have you on board. Then maybe we can hook-up with the NE boys.

Todd
Old 05-28-2002, 06:43 PM

Quote:
I doubt that 12 hours is realistic for you
Yeah, I used the yahoo map maker when I drove down for the Reading meet.. It quoted almost 8 hours to drive down there.. I waited an hour and a half for "el presidente" at a rest stop, and my trip was still about 7 hours! I guess I'll have to try a different program
Old 05-28-2002, 07:43 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Mapquest.com is usually about right (my experience) if you drive normally. A heavy foot and no stops will beat it by about an hour or so per day.
Old 05-28-2002, 10:09 PM
DWayne2910

Indiana Caravan

David:
Have you mapped out your route yet?
Dan W.
Old 05-29-2002, 07:25 AM
red95svx

route

Dan:

No, I haven't really figured out the route yet. I have two mapping programs on my computer that I plan on using later today. We should also figure out when we are going to leave. I'm guessing it will take 16-18 hours to get there. I'd like to leave very early Thursday morning, drive 8-10 hours or so, sleep somewhere (I don't care if it's in my car), and drive the rest of the way Friday. Also, we should bring along FRS radios so that we can talk to each other as we drive. That way we'll know if someone needs gas, food, a bathroom break,.....etc. I have two and I plan on buying two more for anyone that would like to borrow them.

David
Old 05-29-2002, 04:02 PM
DWayne2910

David:
I have run route on LYCOS and MAPQUEST. MAPQUEST'S suggested route takes you down to NYC and across the GW Bridge via the Cross Bronx Expressway. Anyone who's ever tried this will tell you that this is the worst thing you can do. I have some alternate suggestions. Check what you've got and let's compare notes.
Dan W.
Old 06-22-2002, 09:07 AM
red95svx

can't decide

Dan,

I've looked at several routes and I'm not sure which is best. I used to date someone in NYC and I hated driving to the GW bridge so I agree that we shouldn't go that way! Any ideas?

p.s Where do you want to meet me for the trip? Maybe at the dealer in Webster (since it's close to rt.395 and only 20 minutes from rt.90......this might be useful depending on which way we go). Let me know.

David
Old 06-22-2002, 02:23 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Go downtown to Grand St. Stop at Ferraras and pick up 2 dozen canoli. Put them in the cooler. Drive over to Canal St. Go thru the Holland Tunnel to the NJ T'pke. Don't forget to keep thae canoli cool. See you in Indiana.

Larry III