How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-14-2001, 02:21 PM
Chad

Angry Tranny Chatter

Well, I had my tranny replaced last fall, and up until about 2 weeks ago, everything was going good.

When I start my car I get a LOUD shutter from the tranny, but the noise goes away after a couple seconds. I'm not a tech, but it sounds like there is no fluid for a couple seconds. This has been going on for a couple months. But the tranny has been shifting fine, with no problems.

Now, (within the last couple weeks) I have a chatter type noise when the tranny shifts between second and third.....

Any ideas of what it might be, besides another dying tranny?

Thanks.
Old 05-17-2001, 08:03 AM
lightning_8669

<<Now, (within the last couple weeks) I have a chatter type noise when the tranny shifts between second and third..... >>

I had a noise coming from mine that sounded like a rumble when it upshifted from 2nd to 3rd. My car's problem was a clogged trans filter and cooler. After they replaced the trans for the second time and installed a new cooler the problem "seems" to be solved. The 92-93 SVXs had trans coolers that were prone to clogging so an inline filter was added. If your's is of these model years you may want to see if you have a filter. If you don't you cooler is likely clogged and there is no way to unclog it satisfactorily. If you have a filter it should be replaced every 30,000 miles. If you don't ever recall it being replaced it is likely clogged.

Not knowing your model year that's about all I can tell you. If you would like a line on where to pick up a stock filter let me know.

Good luck,
Old 05-17-2001, 10:02 PM
Chad

Unhappy Hmmm....

I do have a filter, and I may replace it, but it's not clogged. The fluid color before and after the filter is dark compared to the fluid level at the tranny dipstick. Could something be plugged IN the tranny? When I check the tranny fluid it is almost clear.....bizarre.

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-18-2001, 05:50 AM
lightning_8669

<<Could something be plugged IN the tranny? >>

In the 92-93 models Subaru put brass mesh in the transmission cooler located in the lower radiator tank. This mesh was intended to create turbulence in the fluid to aid cooling. I'm told it is similar to a kitchen scrubbing pad. Problem is it also acted as a sort of filter, trapping debris from the transmission. Mine was suspected of being nearly clogged so I completely bypassed it. Another alternative, the choice of some members, is to replace the radiator with one from a later model year where the mesh was not used. There are members who argue for stock only coolers and others who advocate secondary coolers mounted in parallel or in series.

My guess is your cooler and/or filter are partially or totally clogged. This may cause reduced flow which could allow contamination inside the trans itself. I'd recommend replacing the filter, and either replacing the radiator (about $500) or bypassing the original trans cooler (about $50).

I used a B&M Racing cooler rated for a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight (GVW) of 24,000lbs. I bought it on line from Jegs for about $50. You could probably shop around for a cheaper one. I mounted mine behind the engine cooling fans because it wouldn't fit out front of the A/C condensor. I don't have hard data on its performance but it seems to work as my trans is still happy.

You could post a request for other member's solutions on the board and get some other ideas, there are a lot of alternate methods for secondary coolers.

JP
Old 05-18-2001, 08:04 PM
Chad

Guess I'm out of luck...

I installed an aftermarket cooler in January, and did not bypass the stock cooler. I begun having problems last month, so I bypassed it then. I am just wondering if maybe somehow something got loose, plugged something up and that's what caused my problem, and now I am stuck with junk in my tranny.

Thanks for all your help. Any other ideas (other members incouraged to reply) are appreciated.
Old 05-21-2001, 06:34 PM
Chad

Those Dumbasses

Well, like I said before I had my tranny replace last fall.....

I think I found out what my problem WAS.

On the right side of the motor, towards the back, where the tranny bolts up, there is a hole at the top that shows part of the torque converter ( I think).

Well, I was tinkerin' with my car and I found this "hole" and I noticed a bolt with threads showing!?!?!?!

I grabbed my 12mm box wrench and tightened her up. I figured I'd check the rest of them and turned the motor from the big bolt at the front of the motor, and voila! another loose bolt...

Well, needless to say, everything is tight and no more noise...

I don't think I'll go back to the people that installed it.....people like that are not worth my breath....
Old 05-22-2001, 05:25 AM
lightning_8669

<<and voila! another loose bolt... >>

I bet these guys torque wheel lug nuts to 200 Ft. lbs.! Amazing shortage of brain cells some days. Anyway, glad it was nothing serious. Of course that kind of event can cause you to wonder about other things for a while. If I were you I'd spend some time and check for other things they may have touched. I'd also give them a call and let them know what you found. No sense letting them get away with being ignorant.