2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 12-12-2006, 02:04 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
this is the reason why I'm seriously considering having my son's first car be a minivan...
-Bill
Brilliant Bill, that way he can use the breeder buggie for its true purpose.

Then he can get his date home by midnight with the 250hp under the hood of that Quest!
Old 12-12-2006, 02:32 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Wellll

There are some threads on this site that have proved almost every member had gone over 100, and most over 120. I know that I have, and I also know that it was dumb.

As far as I'm concerned though it goes like this: He gets caught at 140mph, on a 55 mph road I would say that qualifies as reckless. He pays 500$ reckless driving ticket, which his insurance company will see, pays his increased insurance, and does not get a revoked license, as long as he doesn't have prior speeding tickets.

The out of state thing brings another interesting factor into the equation that from personal experience can really screw you over, or help you out.

Oh, and I did FAR stupider things in the Minivan my parents made me drive than I ever did in my SVX. I didn't care about the POS, and I abused it in every way possible.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 12-12-2006, 02:49 PM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist
But I can honestly say I never drove a car over 140 mph when I was 19.
Me neither.. my '88 honda only topped out at 99mph going downhill with a strong tail wind
Old 12-12-2006, 03:13 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
TheIndyChannel.com
Indiana Teen Clocked Driving 142 MPH In 55 MPH Zone

"Kids sort of have tunnel vision," Emmons said. "They're so concerned with not getting yelled at or grounded, they place other people's lives in jeopardy."

I wonder why perhaps if their parents would be a little flexable as to what time to return home, a couple minutes late? just give a call
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:28 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Joe,

Personally I think there's a lot of good discussion which can come out of a thread such as this...at least that was my intention when I posted it.

It will definitely stir up some discussion in my house tonight around the dinner table...

I said thread deleted with some tongue in cheek.

We all did drive too fast in our youth. Hell, I ride bikes, and at 140 you might be changing up to top gear, and you might not, depending what bike.

It is a sin against society to be doing 140 where there is traffic. It is a worse sin altogether to be doing it and get caught by the police or get stopped by an accident.

If he was watching what he was doing he would not have got caught, so it shows lack of care and attention.

No room for mistakes at that speed, he deserves to have the book thrown at him.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-12-2006, 06:31 PM

the thing with a mini van is the damn thing is invisible!

not to radar/lidar...but to joe-policeperson.....we have one now and i am routinely +20 km/h.......WITHOUT intending to!!

it just cruises along nice'n comfy...then i see the cop car and do the routine glance at the speedo when "holy sh!@" i see the speed i'm doing and slow it down again....

and mr/ms policeperson doesnt even look at me....(thank god!)

try that in some bright yellow civic with a fartpipe exhaust....

the point is, send yer young 'uns out in a dayglow orange car and crappy muffler!!

they will quickly learn that they have a bulls-eys on 'em !!(hmmmmm........a BULL'S EYE!!!..........THERES an idea!!)

....and learn to drive slow and pedal it when they see the police due to the noise....

either way, they will be driving at a reduced rate, just to keep a license!!

rob"my poor kids r gonna hate me"m.

rob

92 ebony 4.44's rock !!
Old 12-12-2006, 06:47 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist
I said thread deleted with some tongue in cheek.

We all did drive too fast in our youth. Hell, I ride bikes, and at 140 you might be changing up to top gear, and you might not, depending what bike.
Gotcha Joe. Yeah, I've driven at silly speeds myself in my youth, and that kid was definitely doing the wrong thing, in the wrong place, at the wrong time. On the upside, he will hopefully come out of this 'chapter' of his life as a much safer driver...

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 12-12-2006, 07:29 PM
building more AK47's

What really scares me is I was on the same road last week for my grandmothers funeral I traveled 600 miles to see her for the last time and there are idiots like these on the road with me Should have beat him there on the spot. There are places for that let alone giving mom and dad a nervous breakdown. Hell I would have even flattened for an excuse my own tire rather than driving like that.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:07 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Joe,

Personally I think there's a lot of good discussion which can come out of a thread such as this...at least that was my intention when I posted it.

It will definitely stir up some discussion in my house tonight around the dinner table...
In the interest of good conversation, somebody has to take the contrary view:

Inappropriate speed is certainly dangerous and stupid, but on the basis of the information given, are we so sure that his speed was inappropriate? I don't believe that high speed on public roads is necessarily unsafe. I would certainly do it if I found myself on a German autobahn. Wouldn't you?

The road in question is described as a four lane divided highway. I presume that means it is a wide fairly straight road with a good surface and crash barriers. Not too different from an autobahn. He was not far from home, so presumably he knows the road quite well. In a rural area in the middle of the night there would (presumably) be little or no other traffic around. The car is a very capable machine and being only two years old is likely to be in good roadworthy condition.

Would it be different if it had been a more experienced driver, perhaps a cop or medic driving at 142mph on their way to save somebody's life? What do you consider to the be maximum safe speed in these circumstances? I would say it's a good deal higher than 55 mph.

In 2005 the premise that high speed equals dangerous driving was put to the test in a British court. The judge decided that PC Mark Milton was not driving dangerously despite doing 159mph in circumstances similar to those above. This link gives a good explanation: http://www.safespeed.org.uk/milton.html
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 12-13-2006, 05:46 AM

Random thoughts:

Astounding that this kid didn't get a lift from the scene in back of the police cruiser. I think driver's licenses should be probationary 'til age 21, and that this fellow should expect to be walking until then.

Somebody suggested that we all drove that fast back in the day. I didn't, and I was as stupid a teen driver as could be.

I disagree that it's possible to safely exceed 100 MPH on public roads. Not on U.S. roads, anyway. I frequent a stretch of winding 4-lane divided highway that can be a blast to drive in the wee hours when traffic is light, but this 20-year old road has no median barrier and not so much as a breakdown lane, so there's little margin for loss-of-control incidents at ANY speed. Good drivers of all ages routinely end-up in the trees. Most American roadways were poorly engineered for 55 MPH, in my opinion.

If you think you can safely drive 100+ in public, you're almost certainly over-estimating your ability and thus constitute a danger to the public. You may be the finest driver on the planet, fine, but the dolt in the next lane isn't, and you have no control over what he or she may do.

We all think we're better drivers than the other guy. Teens don't think this; they know.

dcb
Old 12-13-2006, 05:58 AM

I'm 23. My first car in high school was an SVX. If you buy a kid a fast car they are going to drive it fast.
I'd rather a young driver going 140mph down the road in a new Subaru then having some kid driving in an old junk going 70mph.
Speed isnt always the bottom line.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:30 AM
Network Design Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha
In 2005 the premise that high speed equals dangerous driving was put to the test in a British court. The judge decided that PC Mark Milton was not driving dangerously despite doing 159mph in circumstances similar to those above. This link gives a good explanation: http://www.safespeed.org.uk/milton.html
That was a very, very good read. Thanks!
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:00 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha
In the interest of good conversation, somebody has to take the contrary view:

Inappropriate speed is certainly dangerous and stupid, but on the basis of the information given, are we so sure that his speed was inappropriate? I don't believe that high speed on public roads is necessarily unsafe. I would certainly do it if I found myself on a German autobahn. Wouldn't you?

The road in question is described as a four lane divided highway. I presume that means it is a wide fairly straight road with a good surface and crash barriers. Not too different from an autobahn. He was not far from home, so presumably he knows the road quite well. In a rural area in the middle of the night there would (presumably) be little or no other traffic around. The car is a very capable machine and being only two years old is likely to be in good roadworthy condition.

Would it be different if it had been a more experienced driver, perhaps a cop or medic driving at 142mph on their way to save somebody's life? What do you consider to the be maximum safe speed in these circumstances? I would say it's a good deal higher than 55 mph.

Gee Phil, you're as left wing as ever

I suppose you were setting off fireworks when you heard the news about Pinochet?

Whatever about dangerous driving, which carries a criminal conviction over here, I still maintain doing such a speed and not being aware that the long arm of the law is feeling your collar is at the very least inattentive.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-13-2006, 04:27 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Whoever bought it up before me..Ill just reiderate..Id feel safer knowing my kid was in a car that was capable of 120 mph safely than a car that won't go over 80.Kids will drive too fast, it's just a fact of life. Better off making sure they are safe when they do it.
Also gotta consider...Your kid is probly more likely to get plowed by a drunk driver than they are losing controll at speeds. Most of the time anyone with half a brain speeds, it's on a straight, wide and traffic free road. Plus, if they make it out alive, you can damn well be sure they wont speed anymore
And as for minivans...When you're going 85 and a minivan flys past you like your standing still, you'd think twice before letting your kids drive one. They slip undr the radar so to speak, and lets face it....If something gets in it's way, the van aint gonna stop, or get around it
If you want your kids to be really really safe, get them a red something with no engine mods,but a good quality racing suspension and some nice, grippy all seasons.
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: