Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Suspension

Old 11-06-2006, 12:38 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Possible front suspension mod

After stiffening my front and rear struts, I am experiencing a lot of "link-assembly front stabilizer" failure. I have changed them twice already and now they are done . So I was talking to my mechanic and we agreed to search the market for more solid replacements from another manufacturer. As we were talking he suggested to also upgrade my front and rear bushings with machined TEFLON ones (we will machine them locally according to specs)... he said they are used by rally drivers everywhere...

So what do you think guys about the bushings? and is there any suggestion about the small front stabilizers?? (I am suspecting the Ford F-150 can fit...?)

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:38 AM

Registered SVX
What's breaking on the sway bars Danny? The links physically snapping, or the ball joint at each end (attaches to teh strut) or the bolt on section on the front left hand side?

M
Old 11-06-2006, 04:25 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
No breaking on the sway bars Matt, rather the small stabilizers (the ones going from the Strut to the sway bar) are getting damaged. We are suspecting that my Stiff struts I have, are causing more strain on these stabilizers:

So I am looking for aftermarket ones... from another manufacturer or so...
And in the conversation with my mechanic, he also mentioned something about Teflon bushings for the sway bars...

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:52 AM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX
Linky Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear
No breaking on the sway bars Matt, rather the small stabilizers (the ones going from the Strut to the sway bar) are getting damaged. We are suspecting that my Stiff struts I have, are causing more strain on these stabilizers:

So I am looking for aftermarket ones... from another manufacturer or so...
And in the conversation with my mechanic, he also mentioned something about Teflon bushings for the sway bars...
OOOO I need to replace those Links.
Lemme know what you find out, or make sure you complete this thread.

Thanks
Old 11-06-2006, 11:51 AM

MOOG makes generic upgraded endlinks with polyurethane bushings, and they should have some application for that will work with the SVX setup.

My neighbor had a 99 Taurus SHO, and the stock rear endlinks were plastic. MOOG had the correct length endlink, and it was a simple swap swap.

From that diagram, it just looks like a standard straight endlink. I'd look into a MOOG unit. I think my neighbor paid like $23.00 for both rear endlinks. Head to a Pepboys or something local and ask to see the catalog. You'll be able to see if they have something that will work for you.

TEFLON bushings would be odd. I'd simply go with Polyurethane. I don't know any advantages to teflon, as you'd still need a metal sleeve, and you'd still need to grease it. Polyurethane is time proven to be an acceptable way of reducing bushing play without killing NVH.

Rally cars use machined aluminum bushings for a majority of the static bushings on the car. All mounts, for example, are machined aluminum (trans mounts, rear crossmember mounts, everything. Pivot bushings appear to be polyurethane in the rally cars I've seen.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:19 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Danny,
Can you provide some more details on how the end links are being damaged (pics!)?
I'm running the largest front bar in existence for the SVX along with Mychailo's springs and Koni inserts and my only issue has been tearing the end link attachment points off of the strut bodies (nothing a little MIG welding couldn't fix ). Have you been taking your car offroad?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 11-06-2006, 03:50 PM
Who watches the watchmen?

The SVX sway links look very similar to the ones on a BMW M3. Some M3 owners make their own links as they are more durable than the stock links. They are also adjustable so the sway bar is not pre-loaded on lowered cars. If you know the length of the link then you can modify this DIY with the proper size and make them yourself.

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html%5F..._bar_links.htm
Old 11-07-2006, 12:08 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Danny,
Can you provide some more details on how the end links are being damaged (pics!)?
I'm running the largest front bar in existence for the SVX along with Mychailo's springs and Koni inserts and my only issue has been tearing the end link attachment points off of the strut bodies (nothing a little MIG welding couldn't fix ). Have you been taking your car offroad?
-Bill
No Bill, the damage is inside the ball joints of the end links. The wheel alignment shop is testing them each time, then showing me "an unusual play" showing internal damage inside them. After debate with them and with my mechanic, it seems that stiffening the front and rear suspension is causing more strain on the other parts of the suspension, especially those end links...

One way to deal with it is to stiffen the bushings and install more solid links...
If anyone can help out, the SVX links from bolt to bolt are 9" or 22.5cm long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAC5.2
MOOG makes generic upgraded endlinks with polyurethane bushings, and they should have some application for that will work with the SVX setup.

My neighbor had a 99 Taurus SHO, and the stock rear endlinks were plastic. MOOG had the correct length endlink, and it was a simple swap swap.

From that diagram, it just looks like a standard straight endlink. I'd look into a MOOG unit. I think my neighbor paid like $23.00 for both rear endlinks. Head to a Pepboys or something local and ask to see the catalog. You'll be able to see if they have something that will work for you.

TEFLON bushings would be odd. I'd simply go with Polyurethane. I don't know any advantages to teflon, as you'd still need a metal sleeve, and you'd still need to grease it. Polyurethane is time proven to be an acceptable way of reducing bushing play without killing NVH.

Rally cars use machined aluminum bushings for a majority of the static bushings on the car. All mounts, for example, are machined aluminum (trans mounts, rear crossmember mounts, everything. Pivot bushings appear to be polyurethane in the rally cars I've seen.
Teflon is stiffer then polyurethane but less stiff than aluminum...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique14
The SVX sway links look very similar to the ones on a BMW M3. Some M3 owners make their own links as they are more durable than the stock links. They are also adjustable so the sway bar is not pre-loaded on lowered cars. If you know the length of the link then you can modify this DIY with the proper size and make them yourself.

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html%5F..._bar_links.htm
Thanks for the link my friend, but I dunno about those because the SVX weight in the front is enormous, can those handle the pressure??? Moreover they are not flexible as the ones with ball joints... and the SVX needs flexible ones, I think.

Last edited by SilverSpear; 11-07-2006 at 02:15 AM.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:51 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Danny,
best solution is to fabricate up some end links with heim ends...check out my locker for the ones I made for my custom rear bar. While you're at it, I would suggest getting a full weld bead on the attachment bracket on the strut housings
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker

Last edited by SVXRide; 11-07-2006 at 07:53 AM.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:02 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Are those sway bars completely custom (they are thicker than stock) or you got them fitted from another car? And the end links seem very solid, excellent job

Old 11-15-2006, 06:11 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Teflon Bushings in process . I went to the machining shop today, took my old bushings. We sat for 30 mins exploring options, Polyurethane, Teflon, Aluminum.... according to his experience, he said that our original rubber are softer than polyurethane which is softer than Teflon which is softer than Alum....

As for the end links, I am still exploring my options with German parts (BMW X5, 328i, etc...), they will have to be cut in half or twisted to fit... My aim is stiffer and bigger ball joints for now...

As soon as they are all done, I will post pics

Old 11-15-2006, 08:49 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Are those sway bars completely custom (they are thicker than stock) or you got them fitted from another car? And the end links seem very solid, excellent job
Danny,
My machinist and I built them using heim ends and bar stock.
-Bill

My Locker
Old 11-16-2006, 12:08 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Update on the end links: I found a machinist who works on end links for Mercedes 6 wheelers. According to his words, we can keep the stock look of ours but what he does is that he EMPTIES both sides where the ball joints are and "machine" adjustable ball joints where we can tighten the rotation of those ball joints according to will. If any damage would occur in time for those ball joints internals, we can just tighten them more to reach a desired tight rotation.... it seems to be the most ideal setup but doesn't come at the most ideal price! Does $50 each mean anything to you??????????

Old 11-17-2006, 08:24 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Called the guy, he just fabricated one bushing similar to the one I have. I went and saw it, it is great! I asked him to carry on with the second one. I should have them both by Tuesday afternoon

As for the end link, I found out that an Opel model has the same unit lengh as our cars have. The thing is that the bolt thickness is 10mm compared to our 8mm size. The ball joints on those links are stiffer than ours, but I am still looking to find the perfect replacement and do the mod...

Old 11-17-2006, 08:50 AM
Network Design Administrator

Quote:
Called the guy, he just fabricated one bushing similar to the one I have. I went and saw it, it is great! I asked him to carry on with the second one. I should have them both by Tuesday afternoon

As for the end link, I found out that an Opel model has the same unit lengh as our cars have. The thing is that the bolt thickness is 10mm compared to our 8mm size. The ball joints on those links are stiffer than ours, but I am still looking to find the perfect replacement and do the mod...
Cant you get a 2mm bushing?
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.