SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-15-2007, 05:59 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Yes but when you put on beefier suspension and hubs to run non 13 inch stuff it isn't any lighter than an early Not-so-Impressive which is a much better platform to rice out since its a shopping event not a fab event.

BTW my FWD XT6 auto doesn't weigh under 3000lbs with an empty tank of gas and no driver. In fact I'd doubt that I subtracted enough weigh to have it under 3000lbs with a manual tranny on it.

I'm not trying to argue with you Ben, but I find it rather rude of you to give me (or anyone else) a hard time because we quote PUBLISHED weights....so you weighed yours, not everyone has the opportunity to do so, AND the scales used to weigh trucks are notoriously in-accurate….just because the scale said your SVX weighed 400 pounds more than Subaru said it does, doesn’t mean that scale was correct….I mean I know a web site that’ll tell you the sky is purple, do you believe that too? ( I figure since you use that to get your point across, I can too )

Either way it’s all relative, I figure if the charted weights are on the light side, it’s that way across the board, so the XT is way lighter than the SVX, or the WRX NO MATTER HOW you look at it…that was the only point I was trying to make.

Either way, this will be my last post in this thread.
I will watch it, as I find it very cool and interesting, but have no urge to be attacked for my input..

My apologies to the original poster for dragging this out in his thread …but at least it keeps it at the top of the list….
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 01-16-2007, 07:28 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Measure for Measure

Hmmmm

I'm inclined to agree with Huck here. Ben probably has a point, but there is no need to put this point across so aggressively.

If as he says Subaru weights are notoriously wrong, generally being higher than published, then fine, we all know the SVX is lardy. Ben has measured his at 400 lbs extra.

But if Subaru published weights are always well shy of actual on the road measurements, then this is also likely to apply to the 2.5 WRX and the other fours as well!!!

So what is important to the guys doing this mod is the difference in weights.

The published [or actually measured] weight for the SVX includes a flat six and a thumping heavy automatic gearbox. In simple terms, the EG33 HAS to weigh close on 50% more than the EJ20 or EJ25. "Ye cannae change the laws of physics, Cap'n"
The automatic gearbox plus torque convertor is seriously heavier than a manual box plus clutch.

So this car they are building will walk all over a standard or even a tuned SVX, no question.

Go to it guys, good work so far.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-16-2007, 08:10 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369
I'm not trying to argue with you Ben, but I find it rather rude of you to give me (or anyone else) a hard time because we quote PUBLISHED weights....so you weighed yours, not everyone has the opportunity to do so, AND the scales used to weigh trucks are notoriously in-accurate….just because the scale said your SVX weighed 400 pounds more than Subaru said it does, doesn’t mean that scale was correct….I mean I know a web site that’ll tell you the sky is purple, do you believe that too? ( I figure since you use that to get your point across, I can too )

Either way it’s all relative, I figure if the charted weights are on the light side, it’s that way across the board, so the XT is way lighter than the SVX, or the WRX NO MATTER HOW you look at it…that was the only point I was trying to make.

Either way, this will be my last post in this thread.
I will watch it, as I find it very cool and interesting, but have no urge to be attacked for my input..

My apologies to the original poster for dragging this out in his thread …but at least it keeps it at the top of the list….
Well Huck since I'm rude by EDUCATING PEOPLE on the subject of true weights of cars then I guess you don't need to go to skool then do ya? If I weighed 1 car at 1 scale then I would agree with you but having weighed all but our Legacy at at least 2 different scales with an accuracy (or as you put it inaccuracy of less than 2% each time.

I know you know the differences between the weights but most people don't. Most people actually think their SVX weighs in around 3400. If you want to let people listen to fuzzy math that's great but IMO its wrong and should be corrected, just as the sky being purple because everybody knows that the sky is transparent right!

There was no attack BTW it is simply reality. Subaru weights are as accurate as grenades, Honda however, is practiaclly dead on on their weights as is Mazda. Then again my Impreza was DEAD ON ON ITS WEIGHT and last time I checked a WRX was well a Not-So-Impressive.

Last edited by benebob; 01-16-2007 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:38 AM
Network Design Administrator

I just want to see more Pics of the paintjob...

Is that too much to ask?
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVX
I just want to see more Pics of the paintjob...

Is that too much to ask?

me too lets see some more full car shots
Old 01-16-2007, 11:35 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarusee
me too lets see some more full car shots
I'm sure they'll come, I think it'll look very interesting once its all back together!