How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-01-2001, 02:11 PM
vettn

Unhappy

I just bought a 94 SVX LS couple of days ago. Awsome car. As far as I can tell it's got the cone K&N filter, and has the muffler removed. Not sure if anything else was done to it. But anyway, when I first start it in the morning, it starts right away, but the idle goes up, then down, then it stalls. If I crank it over one more time it starts just fine. It also idles very smooth. Anyone know why that is happaning? Thanks.
Old 03-01-2001, 02:28 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
The "up and down" is the ECU "searching" the "system" and doing a diagnosis. As far as the stalling, I'd suspect the MAF sensor, but, don't hold me to that, especially if it idles fine once it has started. Apparently, the ECU is hitting something during the diagnosis process that it doesn't like. Are you getting any "blinks" from any of the idiot lights in the instrument cluster? You might just try disconnecting the battery overnight and let the ECU clear its brain, so it has a fresh start on your next start-up. I'm not sure about this, either, but, the cone filter may have something to do with it (possibly allowing too much air on first start-up, the ECU senses it and adjusts, just intime for stall, then, on second start, it reads the "correction." -- just thinking out loud).
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-01-2001, 02:35 PM
vettn

Thanks for the help. There are no idiot light flashing at all. I will try disconnecting the battery tonight and see what happens. Thanks.
Old 03-01-2001, 02:53 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
No muffler?

Theres no muffler at all? That could be your problem, wiht a fualty MAF sensor and almost no backpressure at all it dosnt make for a happy engine
Old 03-01-2001, 02:58 PM
vettn

Yeah, I haven't had a chance to look at it completely yet, but I know for sure that the guy took out the muffler and put in straight pipes instead, and I do believe that he also took out the resinator. (Not sure there was one on those cars, but I think there should be)

Wouldn't a bad MAF sensor show error codes, and check engine light?
Old 03-01-2001, 03:27 PM
Rev Hard

WOW~~!!

two replies....
<<but I know for sure that the guy took out the muffler and put in straight pipes instead, and I do believe that he also took out the resinator.>>

LOUD!!!

and....

<<Wouldn't a bad MAF sensor show error codes, and check engine light?>>

YES
Old 03-01-2001, 04:30 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
when you clear the ECU memory by disconnecting the battery remember that at the first startup, do not touch the accelerator, let the car warm up for 10-15 minutes until at normal temp, then shut it off and drive as normal. also - leave the cover for the radio open.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 03-02-2001, 09:41 AM
deligeds

same problem

I also have a 94 w/ a cone air filter, and I've had the same problem for years. It's worst in the 20-30 degree (F) temp range. I've tried many things to resolve the issue. Nothing worked 100%, but you might try disassembling and cleaning the throttle body and idle air control valve. Though I'm not sure that that was the key factor, it seemed to help. My SVX no longer stalls, but often comes dangerously close. Let me know if you find a way to fix it completely.
Old 03-02-2001, 09:46 AM
vettn

Well, I disconnected the battery last night and let the car sit overnight. This morning I reconnected the battery, and crancked the car over without giving it any gas and for the first time it didn't die. I sure sounded like it wanted to, but kept on going. Ran it for about 15 to 20 minutes. Shut it off for couple of minutes, restarted without a problem and drove to work. Have to wait and see how it starts when I go for lunch. It normally took two tries after the car has been sitting for few hours.
Old 03-02-2001, 10:05 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
If the problem reoccurs, you might try putting the standard airbox back in, that is, if you're not just perfectly bent on having the cone filter. That may cure it.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-02-2001, 10:25 AM
vettn

I do like the cone filter, and I would try the stock air box, but since I bought the car with the cone filter already installed, I don't have the stock air box. I'll have to see if the problem is still there, I might modify a stock lid from my old car and put it in (They look almost identical).
Old 03-02-2001, 10:44 AM
deligeds

cone vs. stock

Based on my experience, I don't think that the cone air filter is the problem. My SVX was having the problem long before I replaced the factory airbox.
Old 03-05-2001, 07:30 PM
vettn

Looks like it worked...

Well, I tried clearing the ECU like you guys suggested, and it lookes like it worked. For the last three or four days, the car started on the first try and didn't die. Thanks For All Your Help...
Old 03-05-2001, 09:27 PM
Headed to Texas...

Question ECU reset

I was wondering - Immortal Suby - what the reason was for the procedure you described in resetting the ECU.
This goes beyond just unplugging the battery overnight. Do you know any of the technical reasons for warming the car up, shutting it down and restarting?
I plan on trying it out soon to see if it has any different effect.

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 03-06-2001, 04:40 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Red face

A tech or suby engineer could probably explain the technical reasons, I could only speculate. From what I have read, on a turbo subaru you reset the ECU and then beat the daylights out of the car immediately. On a NA subaru you let it sit for a complete cycle of warming up and then shut it off, and then you start it up again and beat the daylights out of it. It has something to do with how the ECU learns your driving habits.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.