How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-15-2005, 02:09 PM
Jack

Strange RPM drop

If I drive my SVX with the transmission lever in the 1, 2, or 3 position and lift entirely off the gas, the engine rpms drop to idle speed. It doesn't matter what speed I am going. If I drive with the lever in "D", everything works normally. Anyone have any ideas what the problem might be.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:41 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack
If I drive my SVX with the transmission lever in the 1, 2, or 3 position and lift entirely off the gas, the engine rpms drop to idle speed. It doesn't matter what speed I am going. If I drive with the lever in "D", everything works normally. Anyone have any ideas what the problem might be.
It is hard to find one cause for the three lower gears to not engauge the over run clutch. The most likely is the Throttle Position sensor, is not showing a closed throttle signal. I would check the voltage at the sensor when closed, it should be 0.5V.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:21 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
If it's doing that even at highway speeds then your torque converter is not locking.

Does your power light flash about 16 times when you start the car?
Old 11-16-2005, 11:22 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I just reread the post. My guess is your transmission resistor (located by the battery) is defective.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:45 PM
Jack

The TSP was reading .43 volt so I adjusted it to .50, but the problem remains. I disconnected the resistor and that didn't help either. So then I replaced the resistor, but still the problem remains. The power light does not flash when I start the car.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:03 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Not easy.

If it has engine braking in D but not in 1,2,3, the only thing that I can see doing it is the over run clutch. This is used in the lower three gears, but not in D. As you get no codes flashing, it would seem to be in the valve body, as the over run clutch is a unit with the low/reverse clutch, and low/ reverse work ok. So I would think that the clutch is ok, but the valves are not operating it.

Harvey.

Old 11-17-2005, 07:14 AM
Jack

The valves being the problem makes sense to me. Any idea how much the repair might cost? I assume the valves are inside the transmission and that is a place I am not going on my own.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:04 AM
stikkynics

throttle related... no dtc's...how is your stall speed compared to spec?
Old 11-17-2005, 03:36 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Jack I wouldn't like to go any further in this, as it should be taken up by a Trans shop with some experence with this type of auto. Pressure tests will pinpoint the trouble. I can only guess, without this type of testing.
It is more that likely in the valve body, that can be removed while the box is still fitted.

Harvey.

Old 11-17-2005, 03:40 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stikkynics
throttle related... no dtc's...how is your stall speed compared to spec?
Gid'ay Stikkynics, welcome to the forum. Why do you think the stall speed may be different?
Harvey.

Old 11-17-2005, 04:45 PM
Jack

From what I have read there is a control valve within the valve body that could be the culprit. Glad to hear that can be done without removing the box. I had taken the car to two Subaru dealers and both said they did pressure tests, but I didn't know enough to ask to see the actual results. The first dealer said the transmission "failed" the pressure tests and the transmission would have to be replaced. The second dealer said the pressure test/tests were normal. Maybe I can find a third shop to take a look.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:30 PM
KCROGUEDOG

i just had and still have a coil pack issue that is causing a lack of power in the car so when it shifts normally i am running way to low for the gear im in like around idle. i hooked it up to a obd2 computer machine and got a miss in cylender 3. i swapped bad pack off other svx and problem was solve. now im waiting for my packs to get in the mail. i thought i was having really bad tranny probs. the car shook even from being so low in gear like a beginner driving a stick.