SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2005, 10:36 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow248
The majority of GM's recalls are voluntary, and to date, GM is the only company that does voluntary recalls.
wow, you are talking out of your buttocks again.

"DaimlerChrysler AG's Chrysler Group on Friday announced a voluntary recall of about 70,000 model year 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan and Chrysler Town & Country minivans because of problems with a latch on the rear door."

"The American Honda Motor Co. on Tuesday issued a voluntary recall of nearly a half-million automatic transmission Honda and Acura models to repair ignition switch interlocks."

if your precious GM was so righteous, they would have voluntarily recalled the rear brakes on my piece-o-crap Lumina that needed rebuilt every 12-18 months. instead, they had to lose a class action lawsuit. in typical GM fashion, instead of addressing the problem, they took a step backward and used drum brakes on later models.

fanboi's - always entertaining.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 05-12-2005, 07:28 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Voluntary recalls are merely done before legal action is taken to have them carried out. It is in the best interest of the company to make a voluntary recall.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 05-12-2005, 09:19 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
"DaimlerChrysler AG's Chrysler Group on Friday announced a voluntary recall of about 70,000 model year 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan and Chrysler Town & Country minivans because of problems with a latch on the rear door."

"The American Honda Motor Co. on Tuesday issued a voluntary recall of nearly a half-million automatic transmission Honda and Acura models to repair ignition switch interlocks."
Well you got me there. I didn't know that anyone else had started voluntary recalls. I did know about the Honda one, and I don't know why I didn't remember it as being voluntary. Oh well.

Quote:
if your precious GM was so righteous, they would have voluntarily recalled the rear brakes on my piece-o-crap Lumina that needed rebuilt every 12-18 months. instead, they had to lose a class action lawsuit. in typical GM fashion, instead of addressing the problem, they took a step backward and used drum brakes on later models.
I'm really sorry that Lumina ruined your life man.

It really annoys me that GM gets picked on for all these recalls. People don't realize the reason for them. Until recently (as i have just learned ), GM was the only company that did recalls voluntarily. Nissan and Toyota have had several lawsuits to deal with over problems that should have been recalls, but they just don't do it voluntarily. They wait until the fuss goes away, or it goes to court. I know this because my mom was involved in one with her I30. In the end, they look better because the court cases hold a lower profile than the recalls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXer95
Voluntary recalls are merely done before legal action is taken to have them carried out. It is in the best interest of the company to make a voluntary recall.
Sometimes true. However in most situations where a lawsuit would result, the NTSA gets involved and asks the manufacturer to initiate a recall. I guess you could say they pressure the manufacturer into doing a recall. For the smaller problems, which always seem to make the news anyway, it is up to the company whether or not to recall. GM usually does, and up until now, no one else really cared. But I guess other companies are realizing that this is a great way to build a loyal following (hint hint).
Old 05-12-2005, 09:25 PM
Hater

Quote:
I'm really sorry that Lumina ruined your life man.
didn't ruin my life man, but i realized i spent far too much time and money on a POS. sold it for $500 to some poor bastard. it wasn't even my last GM vehicle - i should join Harry's club - i am teh moron.

i drove a new Dodge Stratus today (rental - WRX in the shop for tranny fluid change - too much on my plate to do it myself this time ), and i hadn't seen so much cheap plastic and vinyl in an interior since the Lumina - what a hunk of crap! brakes, steering, handling - all just horrible. i know it was no performance car, but you hit the gas, the revs climbed, but it barely accelerated. getting back in the WRX made it feel like it was hewn from granite. so much more "solid" feeling.

Last edited by Landshark; 05-12-2005 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:37 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
In general recalls are usually only done if the amount of a profit loss they would cause as they are exceeds the cost of the recalls. The prime example of this being the Pinto. By the way, did you know the problem that caused the gas tanks to explode could have been fixed for $5 a car?

I think the voluntary recalls on GMs part is an intelligent business decision. Compared to Honda and Toyota, GM is considered *by most* to be of a lower reliability. Honda/Toyota saying something is broken hurts their image a lot, GM saying something is broken helps their image because it says that they're willing to fix what they did wrong.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300

Last edited by SubaSteevo; 05-12-2005 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:46 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgundyBeast
GM saying something is broken helps their image because it says that they're willing to fix what they did wrong.
i think GM customers just expect them by now.

Old 05-12-2005, 10:54 PM

Quote:
In general recalls are usually only done if the amount of a profit loss they would cause as they are exceeds the cost of the recalls.
Been watching Fight Club lately?

Quote:
I think the voluntary recalls on GMs part is an intelligent business decision. Compared to Honda and Toyota, GM is considered *by most* to be of a lower reliability. Honda/Toyota saying something is broken hurts their image a lot, GM saying something is broken helps their image because it says that they're willing to fix what they did wrong.
That's an interesting perspective. If it's true, the "reliable" imports are going to take quite a hit in their image pretty soon. Honda's got two high profile recalls in process. I'm waiting to see if Toyota will start now too.

I'm also interested to see if the years-old media bias remains through this. GM's recalls make front page news in the automotive section. They'll probably bury Honda's recalls in the classified section or something.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:27 PM
Hater

Quote:
I'm also interested to see if the years-old media bias remains through this. GM's recalls make front page news in the automotive section. They'll probably bury Honda's recalls in the classified section or something.
yeah, poor GM is always getting bashed by the GM-hating media. its a conspiracy i tell you.

GM led the auto industry in recalls last year, and seems to want to break that record this year.

Old 05-12-2005, 11:36 PM
antidisestablishmentarian

Send a message via AIM to Rd96SVX Send a message via MSN to Rd96SVX
lol

You guys crack me up, just for the hell of it, can the actual TOPIC be revisited and drop this recall war..?? Not that it isn't amusing as well, cause it is, It just has very little to do with the 2005 Mustang

Feel free to open another thread Titled "Shadow248 vs. ALL"
25,000 lb GVW Trans-Cooler
Wet-sanded "cleared" Headlights
Charcoal 22% Tint
Removed intake resonator
'95 Probe GT Wheels
'97 grille

"New Addition" 1992 Teal LS-L
+156k mi.
Status... Reconditioning
Old 05-12-2005, 11:43 PM
No longer blue member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rd96SVX
You guys crack me up, just for the hell of it, can the actual TOPIC be revisited and drop this recall war..?? Not that it isn't amusing as well, cause it is, It just has very little to do with the 2005 Mustang

Ok, but I choose to remain neutral

01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 05-12-2005, 11:44 PM
Hater

Quote:

oh yeah, Mustang. i'm starting to see them on the road now, and i expect by summer i won't be able to throw a rock without hitting one. i'm not really big on the looks or interior (or Fords), but its a good bang for the buck if it will stay together for any length of time.

Old 05-12-2005, 11:49 PM
No longer blue member

Quote:
oh yeah, Mustang. i'm starting to see them on the road now, and i expect by summer i won't be able to throw a rock without hitting one. i'm not really big on the looks or interior (or Fords), but its a good bang for the buck if it will stay together for any length of time.
The new Shelby looks good...
I like the retro fog lights...
Wonder if they'll have a Bullit Version..

01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 05-13-2005, 06:57 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Been watching Fight Club lately?
LOL I thought the same thing when I read that
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:52 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Recall 03-1-39

Realizing what amazing POSs we have sold to the general public we recommend jacking up the radiator cap and driving just about anything else under it.

Applies to ALL years and models of Cavalier, Vega, Monza, Chevette, Corvair, Northstar, S-xx, W-body, X-body & F-body.

(just keeping the torch lit)
Old 05-13-2005, 10:01 PM

Quote:
GM led the auto industry in recalls last year, and seems to want to break that record this year.
I feel I have to correct you on that one...Ford holds that title. Car for Car, they have more than double the number of recalls of GM. Now as I said, recalls are not always bad...often they simply show that a given company cares enough to take care of the problem that shouldn't be there in the first place, however only 2 of Ford's recalls last year were purely voluntary. The rest were either mandated or NTSA influenced.

May I remind you that Subaru never issued a single SVX recall - despite their poorly built trannies, bearings, and rotors.

OOH that was low wasn't it?

Quote:
There could never be enough room on this site for a thread like that. It would consume all...like "the nothing" in Neverending Story, it would slowly absorb the world that is the SVX network, like a giant black hole, until there was nothing but blackness.

Quote:
I like the retro fog lights...
See I never liked those, even on the classics. Looks half-assed.