SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-01-2004, 10:33 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Unhappy please help

What sensor tells the 2 radiator fans to go on high when the A/C is switched to on? It seem as though my fans are stuck on high when the ignition is turned on or the car is running, the A/C is not on it just seems they think it is. I asked about this before but never got to the bottom of it.
I purchased a new coolant temp sensor and installed it with no changes, if you unplug it they still keep going. I replaced all of the fuses for the fans and they still keep going. If you unplug the "trinary"? switch they keep going. The only thing that seems to stop them is pulling the A/C fuse. Could my climate control unit be faulty? The cooling system seems to be working fine I put a new radiator in last year and flushed and bled the whole thing. As of right now there is no freon in the A/C if that matters. Another thing, the relays for the fans seem to be unusually hot, it could just be because the fans are on all the time. TIA

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel

Last edited by michael; 07-23-2004 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:20 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I am not sure but maybe the relay for the fans is stuck ON.
Old 07-03-2004, 02:57 PM

My guess would be the same as svx_commuter made above.

the attached diagrams can show you which relay to pull to test the hypothesis.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf pages from engine cooling fans.pdf (79.8 KB, 131 views)
Old 07-04-2004, 09:07 AM
What Potholes ???

Registered SVX
I swapped all the relays and I have the same prob. Thanks for the diagram but it's a little greek . All opinions/suggestions welcome. I've run out of ideas.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Old 07-23-2004, 05:37 PM
What Potholes ???

Registered SVX
Just wanted to add some more info. I changed all of the relays and the fans do the same thing. I noticed the climate control is linked into the fans so I did a diagnostic on it and no probs. I checked the coolant temp sensor and it's good. One thing I noticed when I checked my ECU for codes I have a code for VSS (My speedo gear is broken) I also noticed on the diagram this is associated with the fans. When I reset the ECU the fans work properly until I get up to operating temp shut the car down and restart it I get the check engine light for VSS and the fans say on constantly again. This problem is really annoying if it is the speedo gear I am going to take a bat to the car! No speedometer,no cruise,no odometer,a permanent check engine light what else could that little p.o.s. screw up?

Old 07-23-2004, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by michael
J...snip... No speedometer,no cruise,no odometer,a permanent check engine light what else could that little p.o.s. screw up?
Well, for one you can't get more 50/50 AWD because the TCU sets the transfer clutch to minimum engagement when one of the sensors fail.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:29 PM
What Potholes ???

Registered SVX
Does that mean I'm stuck in 50/50 or 90/10? I was just playing around and found that with both wires plugged into the OBD1 connector and the ignition on the fans go into a cycle. a relay under the intake manifold on the pass side, on the left of the middle intake runner clicks then the fan relays click,the fans come on then go off after about 5 sec. then it repeats. Could somebody try this to see if theirs does the same.

Old 07-23-2004, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by michael
Does that mean I'm stuck in 50/50 or 90/10? ...snip.
Sorry, English is my second language, pure gibberish being what I'm most comfortable with.

The Subaru EndWrench site has a PDF that states the transfer clutch engagement is set to a minimum if one of the VSS fails...I assume that means 90 front, 10 rear.