Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-13-2004, 12:08 PM

Changing Internal Transmission Screen

I have dropped my tranny pan and want to change the internal transmission screen. However, there is a hard transmission fluid line that runs across the front of the screen (i.e., toward the front of the car) and that is blocking the removal of the old screen.

I have loosened all visible bolts holding this fluid line in place. My normal M.O. would be to just pull on it until it came loose (or broke). However, rather than taking the risk of breaking something, I'd appreciate any advice on removing this fluid line.

Thanks for any and all help.

Joe Fillip
'95 L AWD ("The Wayback Machine")
Swarthmore, PA
Old 06-13-2004, 02:25 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
I changed mine last summer. My mechanic who I trust very much says you don't have to change it, just clean It with some gasoline. This was after I already changed it and I think he is right, it is just a metal screen. To get the hard line out carefully pry it out with a long screwdriver, do it very gently and alternate sides. It is a very tight fit but it will shimmy it's way out. Try not to crush it.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 06-13-2004, 08:39 PM

Thanks very much for that advice. I levered the hard line off using a long screwdriver, as you suggested. The new screen has been installed and the pan is buttoned up.

Thanks again! - Joe
Old 06-14-2004, 04:35 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I just wanted to add my (admittedly limited) experience to this thread for future reference.

I've received the same advice from Subaru dealers - that they never replace the internal screen. But I've also had a dealer replace mine. I think in that case, though, they were doing everything they could to improve the pressure.

As a safety tip, if you do decide to replace your internal screen, make sure the new one matches exactly. I've had a hard time getting aftermarket screens to work properly in Legacys. Either the profile isn't quite right or the pickup is the wrong length, etc. With the one in my wife's Lagacy, I have to keep a close eye on the ATF level because the pickup tube on the a/m filter I installed is too short. The tranny can slip during turns if the pan isn't full enough.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 06-14-2004, 04:57 PM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
The Purolator filter matches up with the SVX internal perfectly. I always change mine. Somehow I don't feel comfortable just cleaning and replacing. It isn't too expensive for peace of mind. Especially with these trannys...

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 06-15-2004, 06:50 AM

I've wondered if, with an external ATF filter in place, there's any need to "maintain" the internal transmission screen at all. Anyone?

dcb
Old 06-15-2004, 02:44 PM

I think it needs to be retained. Couple of reasons:

1. Not sure where I read it, but I remember a post that implied not all the transmission fluid output goes to the filter/cooler. Some was returned to the pan directly.

2. Since it's just a fine screen, why not have it in case something like a bit of pan gasket flakes off, etc.

3. How would you locate the pickup point (or were you just planning to cut out the screen) since it is shared with the filter.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:45 PM
abrasive personality

Send a message via AIM to NomadTW
i just pulled it off w/ my hands... 3 times so far... gotta remove all that to remove the valve body.
just unbolt the two bolts, and pull straight, don't pull one side then the other, that can bend the line. if you pull perfectly straight it shouldn't put up much fight.
i'd be hesitant to use a screw driver in there

also i hope you weren't wearing gloves or anything or use anything on it that could've put lint or anything bad in the system
Old 06-16-2004, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lee
I think it needs to be retained.
I'm afraid I didn't make myself clear; I said "maintain," as in, routinely clean or replace.

My view of dropping the transmission pan is akin to surgery: Why open-up a healthy patient? Seems to me that an external filter would remove any suspended material from the ATF in one pass, leaving nothing to clog the internal screen.

(But then, reason may have little bearing on the workings of an SVX transmission...)

Absent an external filter, I'd say go ahead and clean the internal screen, install a filter, and change only the latter (along with the ATF) on a scheduled basis. Just wondering what others might have to say about that idea.

dcb
Old 06-21-2004, 01:24 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I should have taken a photo of the tranny filter screen that I took apart. Under normal observation it looked clean but when I cut it upen there is actually a lot of filings stuck in the screen.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
I should have taken a photo of the tranny filter screen that I took apart. Under normal observation it looked clean but when I cut it upen there is actually a lot of filings stuck in the screen.
Do you have an external filter?

dcb
Old 06-21-2004, 02:21 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I had one and when I replaced it I replaced the internal screen filter (what I was referring to) at the same time.

The internal filter catches all the large stuff from really making a mess of the tranny.