How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-10-2004, 03:00 PM

Registered SVX
Rear window defroster not working

We have a 94 SVX and the rear window defroster doesn't work. The light on the switch comes on and you can hear a click coming from underneath the dash which I'm guessing is the relay. I've checked the voltage on both sides of the window grid and they have power. I also checked the continuity with an ohm meter and it is fine. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Old 04-10-2004, 04:01 PM

one side of the defogger is at battery level, the other ground. if you have voltage at these points and it still doesn't work, then the only thing I can think of is that the grid itself has been damaged.

One way they get damaged that isn't easily seen is from someone using a razor blade to remove tinting or sticker from the rear glass area.
Old 04-10-2004, 07:59 PM

Registered SVX
I have voltage at both terminals when the defroster is on. When I checked continuity between the two terminals it was fine with the use of an ohm meter. If the grid was damaged the ohm meter would show it as an open circuit which it didn't. That's what has me confused.
Old 04-10-2004, 08:59 PM

OK, I have another check since you have continuity across the grid.

Like any electrical device, one side is "in" and one "out. The voltage you measure on each side...I assume you are checking from the connection to a random point on the body (as a ground) using the VOM probe, yes?

That means you have voltage to the grid, and continuity across the grid as voltage is "passing" through.

What you need to check is the continuity of the connector(s) to ground. I suspect the ground on the "out" side for the grid is bad so no current is flowing. You would still see voltage if this were true as long as you're measuring voltage at a random spot and not the actual grid ground location.

I'm not sure, but I think the ground connection is under the right hand (passenger) side panel in the trunk, on a bolt threaded into a metal brace - at least that's how it looks on an AllData wiring sheet.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:27 PM

Registered SVX
Thanks,
I have voltage at both contacts but that was using a good body ground. I'll check the grid ground tomorrow and let you know.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:43 PM

Registered SVX
Well I think I've got it fixed. You were right about the ground, and FYI in case you ever need to know it is located on the drivers side right next to the power antenna. The wire was just hanging there. The previous owner must have had the rear window replaced at some time and they forgot to hook it back up.
Thanks for the help.

Last edited by svxash; 04-12-2004 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:47 PM

glad it worked out with just some of your time expended and not a lot of $$