Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2004, 08:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to zavikan
Seatbelt problems... REVIVED!

OK, read thru the whole auto seat belt fixed thread before coming here, and some of it went over my head, and the rest that I DID understand, didnt seem to help...

This is a problem I have posted about before, I have more info now.

my drivers side seatbelt does not operate consistantly. I can reel it in by hand, and have it work 5 times, or 50 times, or once, but after that 5, or 50, or that one time, it will not come back after the door is shut, and once it stays there, it just will not come back. until I reel it back in by hand. and the cycle continues.

I have the electrical section for the SVX service manual. so I know where stuff is located. I also have a multi meter. I just don't know what wires should be producing 12V at what times, or even which wires to check.

I've heard mention of the problem possibly being the rear limit switch. how do I test this? the 4 leads going into the limit switch seem to have to hot leads. when should they be hot, and when should they not be hot. or what ever. there is a little switch on the inside of the limit switch that you can push with your finger (if you can fit it in there) that seems to do SOMETHING, but I'm not sure what exactly.

And if it IS the limit switch, can I fix it myself, or is this something I need to have replaced. I think I remember some one talking about cleaning contacts... where are these?
Old 03-19-2004, 05:39 PM
96svxer

Sorry to hear of your problems. The seatbelt system is actually quite simplistic after you get to understand it. Basically your have three switches (rear locked, front locked, and Shoulder belt), seatbelt motor, and a very problematic ECU. Try this:

Disconnect your seatbelt motor (clip is near rear window)

Disconnect the wire harness that has yellow/green/black/white wires.
Yellow/White Is one switch
Green/Black Is the other switch ( they are your rear locked, and the other is your shoulder belt, cant remember which is which)

turn your voltmeter to continuity tester (it should beep when the leads are touched together)

Now place one lead on the yellow wire the other on the white wire. With the seatbelt in the rear locked position the switch should be open (no beep) manually crank the seatbelt towards the front of the car, the switch should close (beep). Repeat this a few times

Repeat this for your front limit switch (forgot the color wires, but it's the smaller 2 wire connection)

Do the same for the green/black except you should crank the seatbelt to the rear of the car and leave it. Now disconnect your shoulder belt. Your meter should beep/not beep when you disconect/replace the shoulder belt.

Check out my locker for pics of the switches. Turned out I had two bad switches and a bad ECU. I repared my switches by sottering in new switches. Let me know if you need any more help.