IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2003, 12:33 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by mikecg

Maybe its just me but it looks a little like a Geo.
That's because the Geo Storm was based on the Isuzu Impulse.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-04-2003, 12:36 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
As for all of you who don't like the idea of a WRX-based Saab, get over it. Impreza platforms being used to make new Cavaliers or Saabs is fine by me. It means more money for Subaru to develop their core line.

Now, if it were the other way around, I'd be pissed. If GM had enough control over Subaru (which they don't) to force them to base the next Impreza off of the Cavalier, I'd be *****ing. But as it is now, I don't understand what problems you guys see with these plans.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-04-2003, 05:01 PM
nextcubepro

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
As for all of you who don't like the idea of a WRX-based Saab, get over it. Impreza platforms being used to make new Cavaliers or Saabs is fine by me. It means more money for Subaru to develop their core line.

Now, if it were the other way around, I'd be pissed. If GM had enough control over Subaru (which they don't) to force them to base the next Impreza off of the Cavalier, I'd be *****ing. But as it is now, I don't understand what problems you guys see with these plans.
Because Subarus are fairly unique, and having a great platform that underpins some of the quickest and most fun to drive cars in the world shouldn't underpin a chevy or sabb for the simple reason that most don't want cookie cutter models in their lineups when they worked so hard for so many years to be unique. (ahem subaru saab).
Old 11-04-2003, 06:02 PM
Recluse

Send a message via MSN to Darksied-X Send a message via Yahoo to Darksied-X
Honestly, I'd rather have Subaru guts in a Saab than, say, a Focus or New Beetle. At least Saab is somewhat of a niche manufacturer, like Subaru. Rumor has it that although the first Saabaru will simply be a WRX wagon with a Saab nose, Saab will have more say in the next one (due in '06-'07), and it will have completely different styling, body configurations, and possibly Saab engines (they use inlines, don't they?).

And as for GM ruining Izuzu, this comes from someone who has never owned one. Trust me, Izuzu ruined itself. My mother has a Rodeo, and that thing is the piece I've ever driven in my life. The damn thing started having chronic transfer case and cooling problems within a few months. Plus, they're customer service was second to all. They may have made great cars at one time, but things change.

I just don't get why everyone is ragging on GM for this? At least they're trying to let Saab be Saab as much as they can, and still be profitable. Look at what Ford and Volkwagen are doing, They buy everything they can and just start throwing they're own stuff at it. VW welds 2 VR6 blocks together and calls Lamborghini? Thats just sacrelige. And Ford's ever worse. They claim that because they now own some of the greatest marques in automobile history, that they are also responsible for some of said marques greatest cars ever, cars that were made way before Ford's time, such as the Discovery, E-Type, even Bond's DB4.

'03 WRX Wagon, World Rally Blue
'94 SVX LSi, Barcelona Red
'89 XT6 4WD, Grey & Rust
(and legally, an '01 Outback VDC skankmobile)
Old 11-04-2003, 06:18 PM
^ has Subaru issues

Send a message via AIM to Kurt_W
Isuzu didn't need any help ruining itself. They quit selling cars because they didn't sell very well. They started making their own (v6) engines to cut their reliance on GM v6's. GM v6's back then weren't necessarily great but they are better then Isuzu engines. We've had 3 Troopers at this point. The first the frame let go on. The second blew up an Isuzu 4 cylinder. The third blew an Isuzu V6. Isuzu didn't know how to make engines back then, and its hard to tell if they've learned anything since.

Hell, on top of all this, the dealers don't even seem to know how to work on the older ones.

*shrug*

As for Saab, many of them have been built out of parts for years. They still look good, but a lot of the originallity has been lost. The old Monte Carlos and Sonnets where cool, others since have bee interesting, but now they aren't so much. If I wanted another WRX, I sure wouldn't pay extra for it just to have a Saab badge on it. It would have to have something special done to it. Though I will note that they are saying that the power in the 9-2 will be in the 250 HP range...
'91 Miata - a lot-o-miles
'88 CRX Si/B16 not-so-SiR
'73 Datsun 240Z
Old 11-04-2003, 06:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
Quote:
Originally posted by Darksied-X
Honestly, I'd rather have Subaru guts in a Saab than, say, a Focus or New Beetle.

hmmmmm an AWD 300hp STI Bug, now theres a thought. At least if you roll it, it'll always land on it wheels (too round not to)
Old 11-04-2003, 08:58 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Smile

I was always a fan of the generation I Isuzu Impulse, but the parts situation MUST be worse than what we suffer with our beloved cars.
Just curious, as a lot of you on this thread seem to know who begat what. Who had a hand in designing the early '80s Mitsu Cordia? I thought it was a neat hatchbach design a la' Audi's GT.

Ron (Saabaru = bug eyed econobox sedan with ignition switch on the floor).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 11-04-2003, 09:10 PM
nextcubepro

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert
I was always a fan of the generation I Isuzu Impulse, but the parts situation MUST be worse than what we suffer with our beloved cars.
Just curious, as a lot of you on this thread seem to know who begat what. Who had a hand in designing the early '80s Mitsu Cordia? I thought it was a neat hatchbach design a la' Audi's GT.

Ron (Saabaru = bug eyed econobox sedan with ignition switch on the floor).
Reading on comments on Google search pages, I see that the owners have no parts problems, and that there is a huge aftermarket parts following for that car. and all of the impulses i've seen are mint or near mint. go figure.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:08 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to paddlesnz
Quote:
Originally posted by nextcubepro
reading my post, i realized i forgot to say the point i was getting to. wow i'm tired, up 36 hours now...just read this:

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/231678

also has an interesting piece at the bottom about the impreza.
Unfortunately the piece about the Impreza and Isuzu staff going to Subaru is totally untrue. In fact, several went to Nissan, including their best designer who is now chief designer at Nissan and responsible for most of Nissan's recent offerings including the Z.

As for GM and Isuzu, well GM is responsible for Isuzu's demise and after recently gaining direct access to Isuzu's diesel know-how, GM have slashed their shareholding in Isuzu and hung Isuzu out to dry!

1993 Subaru Alcyone SVX
1980 Isuzu 117 Coupe Giugiaro Edition
1999 Mazda Astina
2006 Honda Legend
2006 Toyota Mark X Premium
2007 Toyota bB
2007 Mazda Roadster RS
2012 Peugeot 208 Allure
Old 11-05-2003, 04:47 AM
Way over-the-hill Member

If some of them really went to Nissan I hope they do something about their 4EAT factory rebuilds so our tranny's last a tad longer! At least Subaru's Boxer has lasted longer than the Corvair's. The turbo Corvair was nice! Now there's a thought...WRX/STi engine in an old corvair!!
'03 Forester XS 214,000 miles
'05 Outback 3.0R
Old 11-05-2003, 08:14 AM
Directionally Challenged

Send a message via AIM to Shadowyng
Now here's the kicker.... Nissan is really owned by Renault. I had a renault Fuego turb during college. The little ugly duckling had some serious torque for a 4 cylinder. It had a 1.8 liter a but a seriously high compression ratio. And solid as hell too. I ended up cutting a telephone pole in half falling asleep at the wheel after late night work. After I came too, I tried to drive away. No luck. I walked away with a bruised ego and that was all. The entire car had the front axle and engine pushed a foot back. No airbag and I was pefectly fine other than the brandished seabelt bruise across my chest!
Old 11-05-2003, 08:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
lucky
Old 11-05-2003, 05:34 PM
Recluse

For those that haven't the actual car before (like me), I just came across this on Saab's website:

http://www2.saabusa.com/92x/images/92xHiRes.jpg

All in all, I like it. I haven't seen the back, but it looks like they did a pretty good job of making the front look more like a Saab than a Subaru. I think it has kind of a laid back look, compared with the WRX's more in-your-face styling. Don't get me wrong, though, I'd never choose it over the Rex.

'89 XT6 4WD, Grey & Rust
Old 11-05-2003, 06:08 PM
nextcubepro

Quote:
Originally posted by Darksied-X
For those that haven't the actual car before (like me), I just came across this on Saab's website:

http://www2.saabusa.com/92x/images/92xHiRes.jpg

...I'd never choose it over the Rex.
Wow...nice. I might, especially with the higer level of equipment. And what engine is under there? If its the WRX one, I think i'd choose the saab, along with my mother who was considering the WRX. See, lost sales for Subaru.
Old 11-05-2003, 06:24 PM
Recluse

Quote:
Originally posted by nextcubepro
Wow...nice. I might, especially with the higer level of equipment. And what engine is under there? If its the WRX one, I think i'd choose the saab, along with my mother who was considering the WRX. See, lost sales for Subaru.
Everything I've read says stock WRX engine, but Kurt said:
Quote:
...they are saying that the power in the 9-2 will be in the 250 HP range...

It's been a couple of months since I've read a car magazine, so I may be out of date. And they won't be losing that much sales, the cars are in two different markets, and they're still selling WRX's either way.

'89 XT6 4WD, Grey & Rust