Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-25-2003, 02:55 PM
danrowski

Unhappy Door Glass

Greetings from the South.

About a week ago I had my SVX broken into and basically raped of all aftermarket stereo equipment. Access into the car was made by bashing the passenger side top glass area on the actual door. I will be needing to replace this very soon and would like to see if anyone here as some advice. I have tried www.subaruparts.com and they had the glass at a very reasonable price yet they would not ship it to me because they are afraid of it breaking. I tried to introduce them to the concept of insurance but I don't think they went for it. I have never really seen any posts of this happening and yes I did run a search. Any info is much appreciated.

Ciao.
Old 10-25-2003, 06:16 PM
^ has Subaru issues

Send a message via AIM to Kurt_W
Yeah, places tend to not like shipping glass. I had the same problem with a driver's side door glass on a 95 240SX. $600 new anywhere. Found one at a junkyard 350 miles away for $100...as you can imagine, I had little roadtrip for that.

You might try calling these folks http://www.newsubaru.com/LIBERT~2/Liberty_Subarx.html .
They're prices are about the same as www.subaruparts.com but shipping is cheaper. I somehow doubt they'll be any more willing to ship however.

You could check with Gillman Subaru in Houston, they're parts prices didn't seem to bad when I dealt with them last summer. West Houston is more then happy to get you the part you need, but they also like to take your money: hows $11 after taxes for a single lugnut sound?
'91 Miata - a lot-o-miles
'88 CRX Si/B16 not-so-SiR
'73 Datsun 240Z
Old 10-26-2003, 05:40 AM

it sucks when someone just lets themselves into your things. i had my house broken into when i was younger and it really sucked. could never feel comfortable in there again, and we had to eventually move. i am sorry to hear that you lost some things and that you are having trouble with places, i wish i could give you more help then just my empathy

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:39 AM
Shot king

Angry

I often let my mother borrow my SVX since she has no car to drive right now and i'm always telling her leave the doors unlocked if theres somthing in there someone wants they can have it. I guarentee it will be alot cheaper to replace whatever they steal than to replace the glass. I'm no glad i skipped the idea of puttin in a stereo. Sorry to hear bout the break in.
Old 10-26-2003, 01:33 PM
Cuban Assassin

Re: Door Glass

Quote:
Originally posted by danrowski
Greetings from the South.

About a week ago I had my SVX broken into and basically raped of all aftermarket stereo equipment. Access into the car was made by bashing the passenger side top glass area on the actual door. I will be needing to replace this very soon and would like to see if anyone here as some advice. I have tried www.subaruparts.com and they had the glass at a very reasonable price yet they would not ship it to me because they are afraid of it breaking. I tried to introduce them to the concept of insurance but I don't think they went for it. I have never really seen any posts of this happening and yes I did run a search. Any info is much appreciated.

Ciao.
My drivers side upper piece of glass was smashed in June. Really weird, the day before I put in a $700.00 Alpine deck. It was still there, in fact nothing was stolen. Just some random vandalism I guess.

As for as shipping a window is concerned. Mine was shipped right from Japan. There was an insane amount of packing, no possible way the window could be broken. The box wouldn't even fit in the back of my truck!
Old 10-27-2003, 12:21 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
where were you parked when this happened? yet another reason to upgrade our security systems.
luckily for me mine is messed up and it goes off just from opening a door. even so, i never park out of plain sight.

my rear window was shipped from who knows where, but it didnt have much aside from styrofoam and some paper packing.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:32 AM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Nik, theres a black box behind the glove box with a knob that can adjust the sensitivity of the alarm.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 10-27-2003, 10:43 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by NikFu S.
yet another reason to upgrade our security systems.
I don't see how this would have helped. His window was going to be smashed whether he had a nice alarm or not.

Loud exhausts set off my SVX's alarm so I'm sure, if Dan had his alarm armed, that the smashed window set it off. Still, the thief took what he wanted.

I have never felt more violated than when I've had stuff stolen, but there's not a hell of a lot you can do about it. If somebody's determined, they're going to take it. And then there's the senseless vandalism.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-27-2003, 08:35 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
the way i see it if an alarm is triggered it might make the vandal think twice about the attention it could attract. you never know.

as for the thing behind the glove box, my system isnt stock. its an 'Astrostart'. i know nothing about it.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:19 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by NikFu S.
the way i see it if an alarm is triggered it might make the vandal think twice about the attention it could attract. you never know.

as for the thing behind the glove box, my system isnt stock. its an 'Astrostart'. i know nothing about it.
Right, but my point is that the alarm would have been triggered after the thief broke the window. So, maybe in most cars it would have prevented the average, garden-variety thief from taking anything else. But on the SVX, the windows are friggin' expensive, so the damage has already been done by the time the alarm goes off.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-29-2003, 02:22 PM
svxstl

Quote:
Originally posted by Shot king
I often let my mother borrow my SVX since she has no car to drive right now and i'm always telling her leave the doors unlocked if theres somthing in there someone wants they can have it. I guarentee it will be alot cheaper to replace whatever they steal than to replace the glass. I'm no glad i skipped the idea of puttin in a stereo. Sorry to hear bout the break in.
This is good advice. My girlfriend got her stereo stolen right in front of my apartment (in a really nice area of town), the annoying part is that the stereo only cost $100 but replacing the window cost $120.

All this so someone could pawn the stereo for $20...we weren't even annoyed about the cost of it, just the inconvenience and violation of our property. And having to drive around with a trash bag on the window because it rained, and of course they had to break the glass on a Friday night so we couldn't do anything with it over the weekend.

Dan