Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-17-2003, 06:12 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
The main difference!

The main difference that the European model has over the US version is the transmission. As has been said the AWD section has a difference torque split, 36% front to 64% rear. This is done by using two different ratios, in the center differential sun and planet gearing, to the front and back wheels, with the transfer clutch bringing it back to 50:50 with wheel slip. This makes it a true all wheel drive car, with all the wheels gear driven. The transmission also uses a lower final drive ratio of 3.7:1 instead of the US 3.545:1 the lower gearing gives faster acceleration, lower transmission loading and heat. This fact would account for the different quarter mile times. that various magazines road test around the World have shown.

The US model is a front wheel drive car, with rear wheel assist. The torque split is 90% front 10% rear. The front wheels are permanently, gear driven from the transmission, the rear wheels are driven by the transfer clutch. With front wheel slip the transfer clutch applies more drive to the rear wheels to bring the split to 50% front and rear. It is this difference between the two models, that changes the way the car would perform. On a light throttle the US version has 90% of the torque applied to the front wheels, lifting the foot in a corner would produce understeer. The European model in the same conditions would still be 36% front 64% rear to be neutral on a trailing throttle.

This is the major difference in the models, though I wonder what other changes there are. If Subaru saw fit to produce 15,000 special gearboxes for the US market and 10,000 for the European market, then anything could be different. Checking engine and gearbox type numbers, could show up some more.

My car is a 95 Lsi. RHD Australian model, the gearbox type is “ TZ102YP1CA “ and the engine type is “ EG33DGX2DL “. What other types are there?

Harvey.
P.s. Finally got my connection back to 31k from 2.4k

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 07-29-2003, 02:09 AM
Phil & Belha

Nerd Numbers

Hi Harvey,

Our numbers are different to yours.....

Engine Type: EG33DDX1DE
Gearbox Type: TZ102YL1AA

The car is a '91 JDM Version L 4WS (RHD of course)

I wonder what the actual mechanical differences are. Presumably they just make very minor revisions throughout the production lifetime of the car?

Is it possible that parts for one engine/gearbox type would not be compatible with another?

When they refer to "engine" and "gearbox", does that include the ancilliary components like ECU and TCU? Could it be purely a software revision?

Maybe this accounts for one of Joe's early problems where his replacement tranny had different wiring to the loom in the car.

Anybody else care to read their VIN plate and add to the list? As Harvey said, it would be interesting to see what other types there are.

Phil.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:24 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
US 92 LS-L Touring pkg.
Engine - EG33DAX1DK
Gearbox - TZ102ZM1AA

i have a custom virtual power mode selector.
stompin the gas pedal initializes power mode. shifting into neutral turns power mode off. i dont reccomend using it during normal driving. i find it quite useless actually.

info on US versions:
http://www.cars101.com/subaru_svx.ht...ions.%20colors
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vinplate.jpg (165.1 KB, 164 views)

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.