How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-09-2003, 07:00 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Head Lights?????

I have been trying to figure out how much power the stock headlights draw???? Cause I bought some bulbs and I think their power rating is really high... it's like 100 watts for the Low beams.... That just sounds a little high...

H.I.D. conversions..... WHat's so great about them???? are they really worth it???? How much??? Any input is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!!!

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 06-09-2003, 01:58 PM
MINEZ BETTER

h.i.d.

well there far better than the regular bulbs, see much better all around, and you mixs with the exotic cars. plus its ranges from 350-800 bucks depending what brand you buy. i like them i have them, just a light bulb will cost you 75 bucks to replace. i bought all colors, blue, white, and purple

youll love them trust me
white leathers, h.i.d, ecutune S/C stage 4, 14 inch 2piece rotors big brake kit., , msd ignition, c/f dash kit, front spoiler,carbon fiber jdm rearc wing,19 inch rims, nos, , aem fuel regulater, koni-gc package, ported cylinder heads, supercharger cams,solid buck and shims,wrx sti intake valve and exhaust valves,& valve springs, gas analizer,water injection, exhaust temp gauge, idiglo gauges, shift kit, , remote start, all automatic windows,2.5 inch true dual exhaust system with crossover, and 2 borla stainless steal muffler,air filter velocity air stack 3inch to 6 for air filtre, group n mounts, momo steering wheel, dyno will happan soon
Old 06-09-2003, 04:24 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Before you blow your cash on them, read all of this:

http://lighting.mbz.org/tech/bulbs/Hid/HID.html

Enjoy!

- Rob
Old 06-09-2003, 04:26 PM
Green1995SVX

Re: h.i.d.

Quote:
Originally posted by jsvxstyle
well there far better than the regular bulbs, see much better all around, and you mixs with the exotic cars. plus its ranges from 350-800 bucks depending what brand you buy. i like them i have them, just a light bulb will cost you 75 bucks to replace. i bought all colors, blue, white, and purple

youll love them trust me
Hey- Which projectors are you using? I went with the BMW 740 projectors, and the fit was very nice. Did you use the same ones or something different? Please post your results.

Mike
Old 06-09-2003, 04:27 PM
Green1995SVX

Re: Head Lights?????

Quote:
Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX
I have been trying to figure out how much power the stock headlights draw???? Cause I bought some bulbs and I think their power rating is really high... it's like 100 watts for the Low beams.... That just sounds a little high...

H.I.D. conversions..... WHat's so great about them???? are they really worth it???? How much??? Any input is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!!!
Chris-

Search for my HID thread from back when I installed my lights. There is plenty of great info in there.

Mike
Old 06-09-2003, 09:02 PM
MINEZ BETTER

ahhh

soo you put a 740 kit in, nice, tell you what if you ever need factory replacement bulb ask me. my pricess will blow your mind away there is a few people here on the net that likes my pricess on genuine stuff and european stuff, i used spw kit, work excellent. was gonna do the bmw stuff, but never had one in for front end collision in the shop so far, didnt wanna pay , but i did
white leathers, h.i.d, ecutune S/C stage 4, 14 inch 2piece rotors big brake kit., , msd ignition, c/f dash kit, front spoiler,carbon fiber jdm rearc wing,19 inch rims, nos, , aem fuel regulater, koni-gc package, ported cylinder heads, supercharger cams,solid buck and shims,wrx sti intake valve and exhaust valves,& valve springs, gas analizer,water injection, exhaust temp gauge, idiglo gauges, shift kit, , remote start, all automatic windows,2.5 inch true dual exhaust system with crossover, and 2 borla stainless steal muffler,air filter velocity air stack 3inch to 6 for air filtre, group n mounts, momo steering wheel, dyno will happan soon
Old 06-09-2003, 09:23 PM
Green1995SVX

Re: ahhh

Quote:
Originally posted by jsvxstyle
soo you put a 740 kit in, nice, tell you what if you ever need factory replacement bulb ask me. my pricess will blow your mind away there is a few people here on the net that likes my pricess on genuine stuff and european stuff, i used spw kit, work excellent. was gonna do the bmw stuff, but never had one in for front end collision in the shop so far, didnt wanna pay , but i did
I actually have been getting all of my HID suppies from another network member, andivic. He has been great and has provided very good prices.

Mike
Old 06-10-2003, 11:50 AM

Thanks to all who were able to help me out a bit.... I heard that there are some Phillips (Halogen not H.I.D.) bulbs that are pretty good... I really like the H.I.D. thing but unless they can come really cheap then I think that I'll just stay with the regular bulbs... My main worry is that the bulbs that I have in there are drawing too much current for the harnesses or something... I'm not trying to get some melted harnesses.... My low beams are rated at 100w I think and my hi beams are 120w.... Are these bad bulbs to be using??? Do I need to get lower ones??? Thanks!!!

** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 06-10-2003, 05:07 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Are they RATED at that much? Or do they claim "120 watts of output"??? Read more on that website, but if they have blue glass, chuck em, and spend not much cash on some Slyvania Cool Blues. You won't be dissapointed.

- Rob
Old 06-11-2003, 11:36 AM

Yea, they say that they draw 100w (LOW) and 120w (Hi)... They do have blue glass... <<Here should be where I get the definite answer>> I bought them from ebay about 6 months ago... Just put them in about 2 months ago but only start the car when I go up to NC every other weekend.... That's when I noticed it... I saw all that talk about ebay headlights being crap... I just don't want to mess something up on my car by using cheap ****!!!! So Rob, you reccomend the Slyvania Cool Blues??? How much and is the color a nice white with a hint of blue??? Thanks!!!!

Old 06-11-2003, 01:05 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
Cool blues aren't blue at all. They're white...whiter than stock though. I have silver stars and they're whiter yet. Still no blue in them though. If you're looking for blue, neither one is gonna make you happy...YOU'LL be blue . If you're looking for a nice looking headlight that actually lights the road, I recommend silver stars
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 06-11-2003, 01:35 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I've had PIAA Platinum low-beams for a few years, now. They weren't cheap, but they're they best thing I've tried. I had some APC crap lights for awhile (with the blue glass) and they were total garbage. Those lasted maybe three or four months. That's fine - I bought the PIAAs and I'm a happy customer.

Most 'blue' headlights (as Rob said, those with blue glass) are actually worse than the $5 GE lamps you can get at Wal-Mart. Sure, they look white, but that's about it.

Anyway, I've thought about the HID route. But I've settled - once my PIAAs burn out, I'll replace them with the same thing.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 06-11-2003, 02:19 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Yes, the cool blues are AWESOME. They were cheap (about 10 bucks a bulb), they're MUCH brighter than stock (the road is lit up farther and BETTER), they look great (not yellowed and old, but really 'new car' looking, and they're cheaper than Silverstars or PIAAs. Sure, maybe the silverstars or Piaas look better. MAYBE. But by how much? I'd say if you had two cars next to each other, one with PIAAs, and one with Cool Blues, the difference would be NEGLIGABLE. Close to nothing. Except for hte price.

What a deal!

- Rob
Old 06-11-2003, 04:35 PM

Sounds cool.... so they're called Slyvania Cool Blues..... I'll have to check into them.... What size do I get or will the guys at the place know what size I'll need??

Old 06-11-2003, 04:56 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Check your owners manual, it should say what kind it is. I had some 'blue glass' ebay lights in my last car.... man... I dunno... they didn't light up the road at all, and it just sorta made my car look 'ghetto' and fake. G'luck finding a set! And.... if you really hate them that much, I'll buy them from you, for an extra set.

- Rob