How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2003, 04:35 PM
not just a fan, a Member!

and this is to all the people using amps... do you guy connect the head unit to the amps using rcas or the wire looking things....?? and if you connect through rca, how many rca outs are on the back of conventional head units? i've always assumed that it'll be just a right and a left, but from looking at the diagrams on the installation guide for my amp, there are head units out there with 4 rca outs for 4 channels? would it work if i have space for 5 channels but the head unit only has the left and the right?

thanks
Old 02-11-2003, 09:01 PM

Never heard of a co-axial connection to an amp, but live and learn. Maybe this is for a video output, i.e., like a standard cable connection to a TV, in addition to the digital video out to the LCD screen (they do claim dual video out)?

As to splitting the RCA outs. It can be done, but splitting three ways will produce only a third of the voltage going to the amp. Unless the DVD box delivers like 5 or 6 volts from the pre-amp section (unlikely), you will be seriously low on power to the amp input section, and in a way increase the noise floor (the noise stays at it's level, but your signal is split in three). If the system has regular 4 channel speaker outputs, use those along with some line converters and go into the amp like that. An alternative might be to purchase an active crossover and use the RCAs to drive the crossover - some active units have 3 sets of RCA outputs (but i'm guessing this will add about $250 to your install).

Amp crossovers typically set the relative amount of bass going (or not) to the various speakers. Most amps also have a gain knob, so yes you could find a spot you like between front/back volume and then just use the remote to lower/raise it all together. You would have to go to the amp itself if you ever wanted to change the proportion of front/rear volume. Didn't understand the question about the Bazooka - why a 5 channel amp if the bazooka has it's own amp and is driven off the rear speaker channel - you only need a 4-channel amp. Keep in mind you won't be able to use the highpass part of the crossover on the rear channels of the amp because it would cut out anything going to the Bazooka. This also means you would only have to split twice (vice three times), which is a little better, but still not great.

If I understand what you're doing, there won't be a unit in the dash, yes? that Boss unit does not look like a standard din mount.

Don't mean to discourage you but this looks pretty ambitious, and I think you have a whole weekend project on your hands, in a garage, with tools.

i'm kinda tired. will try again if this doesn't make sense - let me know.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by subafan
and this is to all the people using amps... do you guy connect the head unit to the amps using rcas or the wire looking things....?? and if you connect through rca, how many rca outs are on the back of conventional head units? i've always assumed that it'll be just a right and a left, but from looking at the diagrams on the installation guide for my amp, there are head units out there with 4 rca outs for 4 channels? would it work if i have space for 5 channels but the head unit only has the left and the right?

thanks
It's generally preferred to use the RCA outputs as it avoids the amp section of the head unit which usually isn't of the same quality as an add-on amp - but it can be done. Amps that accept both kinds of input have the line-level converters built-in, but they can also be purchased separately. Head units can vary from no RCAs to three sets - usually price dependant - probably $250 & up (on-line prices) to get 3 sets.

see my other post questioning the 5th channel if you have a self-amplified bazooka tube.
Old 02-11-2003, 11:39 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Hey

I can get all the wiring done for your car but I am pretty busy at this time and there is 3" of snow in the parking lot so I don't even know how I am going to install my AutoPC tomorrow. We'll see.

Do you have a digital cam? Can you take a picture of ALL the AV in/out holes you have. I mean all.

Where do you want to mount your Camera? I know a couple of places. It is probably best that I do the camera and LCD and stereo for you and get the preamp outs hanging out for the Sub guys. I can do it but I'd rather not. But I do not have the time. I am driving to Springfield on Friday as well.

Think of a place (with a garage), heat and a couple of SVXers that want to learn how to rip the dash apart and food and beer and we got a deal (and a minimeet). How's that?

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 02-12-2003, 01:38 AM

hmm...

taking pictures of the av in/outs are probably not going to be a problem.... dinner and beer is probably not a problem either....

well, my car is parked in an underground garage right now, but there's no heat, and although its lit, its not brightly lit (but we can get flashlight?).... its probably around 40-50 degrees in the garage usually....

any svxer in the chicago/madison area wanna volunteer a heated garage??

and if there are svxers out there who wants to learn how to work on the sound system of the car, this is our chance!!
mrspyder: gotta have a drop top in cali...

always looking for a reliable 5spd svx...
Old 02-12-2003, 01:44 AM

oh yeah, and the dvd player is not going in the dash... still looking for a place to put it, cuz it won't fit in the glovebox either.... maybe under the pass. seat?

any suggestions?

Old 02-12-2003, 11:21 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by subafan
oh yeah, and the dvd player is not going in the dash... still looking for a place to put it, cuz it won't fit in the glovebox either.... maybe under the pass. seat?

any suggestions?
I am installing Clarion AutoPC as we speak and there is no room under pass seat if you have a tray like I do. There is hardly any room for Driver seat as well. We'll find it though. Don't worry. Just find a heated and well lit garage.

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 02-12-2003, 03:35 PM

ok unless i can find a volunteer on this board... i really don't know anyone with a heated garage.....

i'm going to take a picture of the av in out stuff tonight, and a picture of the garage, and the get the reading of the temp. in the garage at night (from the outside temp guage in the svx)....

Old 02-12-2003, 05:56 PM
Superbeast

I have a heated well lit garage with all the tools you would want, and much stereo install expieriance. But It's a long drive, sorry.
They make 5 channel amps that will run 4 mid range and 1 sub with 1 RCA hook up, I have one in my wagon. You just can't control any thing from the deck so it's kind of limited and not really the set up I would use for a high end system. What kind of DVD player are you using? Why not get an in dash unit.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 02-12-2003, 07:25 PM

well... the lack of cahs for one is limiting me from a high end system.... still debating if i should get an equalizer.... because i doubt there will be space to get another head unit with an equalizer, run the dvd player through the head unit, then control the volume of the dvd through the head unit....

argh.....

and thanks for the offer.... but i guess driving to RI would be a bit far to get a sound system installed....

Old 02-12-2003, 11:35 PM

ok i posted the pictures of the amp connections and the dvd player connections.... are there any other pictures that i should take to clarify the situation?

also i think i found something that looks like a heater in my garage (according to the svx, the garage was 49 degrees tonight at around midnight) so i posted some pics of the garage, not sure if its light enough.....

Old 02-13-2003, 02:19 PM

oh yeah, and the pics are in my personal locker....