IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-31-2011, 06:50 AM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
My Tranny is Smoking

Well... not really.

OK, so I loaned my SVX to my girlfriend's brother for a few months. He drove it around, and after the transmission sprung a leak from the rear seal he replaced it just last week. I drove the car a bit over the weekend after getting it back from him and everything seemed in order.

This morning I drive to work and when I get out there's smoke coming from the passenger side of the car. I pop the hood and check it out... yup... from under the car. So I crawl underneath and see that there's transmission fluid smoking on my exhaust.

So given that he's replaced two rear seals, and according to him at least one of them had a nice tear in it (he's a mechanic BTW)... any other thoughts? I'm fearing a crack in the housing... which wouldn't be the end of the world but would be a bit annoying since I just sold my other car

Thoughts of things to look at?

My Rides:
Red 1996 SVX LSi (Saffron)
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 (Kaitlin)

Previously owned; green '95 L AWD (sold), black/pearlie '94 LSi (too many problems), Polo Green '96 SVX LSi (apparently notThe end of an era)

Member #2 in the Yahoo! club, been here since the beta-testing days. In dire need of a cheaper hobby.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:15 AM

Registered SVX
Re: My Tranny is Smoking

IIRC, the breather hoses for the tranny are right above the exhaust manifold. With how easy it is to overkill our transmissions, i would double check fluid level first.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 05-31-2011, 09:35 AM

Registered SVX

I changed all my Power steering lines 4 months ago . The Mechanic must have got the tranny fluid on the headers . It smoked for 2 weeks. Finally stopped .
Old 05-31-2011, 10:23 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm

Is it transmission fluid, engine oil or gear oil? (or other)
If it's transmission fluid is it coming from the power steering or the transmission?
Is it worse after driving the car or after it sits overnight?

p.s. have you suggested the patch to help your transmission quit that nasty habit?
Old 05-31-2011, 10:48 AM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm View Post
p.s. have you suggested the patch to help your transmission quit that nasty habit?
a good number of my coworkers are addicted to the gum. TH

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 05-31-2011, 11:21 AM

Registered SVX

Did your tranny have SEX the night before . My wife always smokes after SEX <LOL> My BAD ... <LOL>
Old 05-31-2011, 11:36 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Is the driveshaft good? Out of balance driveshaft will cause the rear seal to leak. It is common to tear the seal when removing it.
1997 Ebony #308 113k "The Black Diva"SOLD
1992 Black over Liquid Silver 152k SOLD
1992 Ebony 251k 444 SOLD
1999 Silver SLK230 134k SOLD
1997 Green Outback 137k SOLD
2013 Honda Accord I4 SOLD
2015 Subaru Crosstrek 30k
2018 Tesla M3 30k
Old 05-31-2011, 11:51 AM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX

OK, quick update.

So I went to drive my car at lunchtime. Not a long drive... but enough time to get up to running temperature and back again, but not a lot of high-speed. I'm seeing no tranny fluid on the parking lot, so I suspect it's possible the smoke could be from the last of the fluid on the exhaust burning off (since it did throw quite a bit of fluid onto the exhaust which is what precipitated the repair).

Just in case it IS fresh, I am going to get a replacement driveshaft along with a differential I am already getting from a parted out car (I have a Forester diff on there now and want my limited slip back; open diffs annoy me). I'll keep driving in the meantime and checking the fluid levels just in case. Worst case, in a week or two I'll have it up to get the diff switched and I can just replace the driveshaft and the rear seal... again... then.

And yes, I'm sure it's tranny fluid. Smells like burning rubber and is definitely coming off the exhaust right under the rear seal.

My Rides:
Red 1996 SVX LSi (Saffron)
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 (Kaitlin)

Previously owned; green '95 L AWD (sold), black/pearlie '94 LSi (too many problems), Polo Green '96 SVX LSi (apparently notThe end of an era)

Member #2 in the Yahoo! club, been here since the beta-testing days. In dire need of a cheaper hobby.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper_svx View Post
OK, quick update.

So I went to drive my car at lunchtime. Not a long drive... but enough time to get up to running temperature and back again, but not a lot of high-speed. I'm seeing no tranny fluid on the parking lot, so I suspect it's possible the smoke could be from the last of the fluid on the exhaust burning off (since it did throw quite a bit of fluid onto the exhaust which is what precipitated the repair).

Just in case it IS fresh, I am going to get a replacement driveshaft along with a differential I am already getting from a parted out car (I have a Forester diff on there now and want my limited slip back; open diffs annoy me). I'll keep driving in the meantime and checking the fluid levels just in case. Worst case, in a week or two I'll have it up to get the diff switched and I can just replace the driveshaft and the rear seal... again... then.

And yes, I'm sure it's tranny fluid. Smells like burning rubber and is definitely coming off the exhaust right under the rear seal.
My SVX had a leaking transmission oil pan seal causing the same issue at the same spot you describe. I first thought its the drive shaft, but you could tell the oil was not comming from there but from the pan.