Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-22-2010, 06:33 PM
The Molinator

Re: NEW Fuel Pump.. . Brand?

Mat: Thanks for the extensive "HOW-TO"!
(1) Can I just use the enclosed crimp wire connectors to attach the new pump wires (mine has a nice 2-wire harness) to the upper OE wires? Is it safe electrically.. . Or should each of us place a fire extinguisher in our laps if we go anywhere?? Can I use typical shrink-wrap to tidy up the connection, or is it safe in the gas??
(2) Can I do this with a lot of gas in the tank? I just filled up.
(3) How far down is the 8mm bolt.. and L-shaped bracket?
(4) Can I do under gas?
(5) How far out can you pull the tank cap up while still attached to the internal pump harness AND fuel line(s)? How much slack before you have to remove harness and fuel line(s)? Is there one.. or 2 fuel lines under (attached to) the tank cap?
(6) I wish I could use a new seal, but seems like it will take ~10 days??
Thanks, Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 04-27-2010, 02:41 PM
The Molinator

Thanks to SVX10 for his help throughout my fuel pump replacement!

I rewired the new pump connector as he did to have a clean job (no crimp connectors, solder, shrink wrap, etc.)

The Carter pump was about half the size of the stock pump. The new strainer was about one-tenth the size of the OE!

I had no problem using the used sealer (smooth, quality rubber).

Seems to work. Thanks again to Mat!

Jim

P.S. It's still scary to realize there is a 12V hot wire submerged in my gas tank! I guess I don't understand chemistry and electricity well enough to be comfortable with that! Ha! YIKES!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)

Last edited by James Scott; 04-27-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:43 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Scott View Post

I rewired the new pump connector as he did to have a clean job (no crimp connectors, solder, shrink wrap, etc.)

The Carter pump was about half the size of the stock pump. The new strainer was about one-tenth the size of the OE!

Jim

P.S. It's still scary to realize there is a 12V hot wire submerged in my gas tank! I guess I don't understand chemistry and electricity well enough to be comfortable with that! Ha! YIKES!

Not only that Jim, but the fuel from the pick-up strainer, flows through the pump motor, over the commutator and brushes., to cool it.
Rest assured that nothing solid burns, only vapors. While they are submerged in fuel, there are no vapors.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:08 PM
The Molinator

IC.. . BUT, what if your tank is low on gas.. . ..??? I'm gonna fill up at half tank from now on!
Jim
Old 04-29-2010, 09:40 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

When replacing fuel pumps with these aftermarket ones, I assume you are leaving the fuel sensors alone, or reassembling them onto the new pump?

Or do the aftermarket pumps into both of those as well?

My fuel pump is fine, but BOTH of my fuel sensors are bad (both the gas gauge and the low fuel light).

The price to replace both of those sensors is more than half the price of a new OEM fuel pump, which incidentally INCLUDES both sensors.

So I was considering getting a whole new OEM fuel pump for the extra $100+ since as mentioned, at 220K it is good preventative maintenance and I'm in there working already.

But it's still a lot of money.

IF these aftermarket pumps for $100 included new sensors too, that would be awesome.

Probably too good to be true?

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 05-14-2010, 12:10 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Scott View Post

Jim

No problem!
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 05-21-2010, 07:42 PM
The Molinator

Just wanted to let y'all know.. . Today, after traveling around with my "fully functioning" fuel pump for a few weeks now.. .

I ran out of gas.. . without the warning light ever coming on! At first I thot I must have knocked off the tank wiring.. . BUT, after filling up with gas.. I realized it only took 15.3 gallons, yet was sputtering close to actual clinical emptiness! I used to put in ~ 17 gallons when really low.. AND the warning light came on!

I assume what's happening is that the new aftermarket pump WHICH HAS A MUCH SMALLER STRAINER .. . is not using as much gas out of the tank (higher in the tank!?) .. . Therefore, not yet tripping the warning light (~ 16 gals).. . etc. etc. etc.

Jim

Last edited by James Scott; 05-21-2010 at 07:50 PM.