Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-25-2008, 01:13 AM

Can I make this work?

In my search for a transmission for my 1994 SVX I have located another auto... This one is from an 2001 Forester AWD. It's an automatic transmission. The guy wants 200 dollars for it. If I can make it work then how? What are the gear ratio's?
Old 02-25-2008, 01:37 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Sure it will work, or can be made to work.

You have two problems to attend to. The easy problem is the final drive. The Forester probably had final drive of 4.44 so you will need to change the internals of the SVX rear diff [which is 3.54] to suit the new gearbox.

The second could be more difficult. If the Forester gearbox is a standard 4EAT like that used in the SVX it will be a straight swap. If instead it is the 5EAT or the Tiptronic type, then it will not work with your SVX gearbox computer. There would be a lot of rewiring and electronic work to do to make these type boxes work with the SVX, and nobody has done it yet except one guy in Japan, so we have no information on it.

You need to correctly identify which type it may be.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-25-2008, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Sure it will work, or can be made to work.

You have two problems to attend to. The easy problem is the final drive. The Forester probably had final drive of 4.44 so you will need to change the internals of the SVX rear diff [which is 3.54] to suit the new gearbox.

The second could be more difficult. If the Forester gearbox is a standard 4EAT like that used in the SVX it will be a straight swap. If instead it is the 5EAT or the Tiptronic type, then it will not work with your SVX gearbox computer. There would be a lot of rewiring and electronic work to do to make these type boxes work with the SVX, and nobody has done it yet except one guy in Japan, so we have no information on it.

You need to correctly identify which type it may be.

Joe
Ok the guy already pulled the transmission... how do I tell which one it is?

Last edited by Thor; 02-25-2008 at 04:13 AM. Reason: photo's
Old 02-25-2008, 04:21 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Being from a Forester it is probably highly likely the final drive will be 4.44, but I stress you need to verify this before you buy. There will be the additional cost of getting the rear diff or diff internals to match.

The easiest way to know would have been to see if the shifter in the car it came from has the same pattern as the SVX has, that would indicate a 4EAT installation. Remember you are possibly going to want the rear diff from that car to match, so it would be good if the shell was still around to see the shifter.

If you can't refer to this then you will need to check with Subaru main dealers which auto gearbox type was fitted to the 2001 Forester. If you do a search for Joe Spitz Seattle he may have a page on Foresters.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-25-2008, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Being from a Forester it is probably highly likely the final drive will be 4.44, but I stress you need to verify this before you buy. There will be the additional cost of getting the rear diff or diff internals to match.

The easiest way to know would have been to see if the shifter in the car it came from has the same pattern as the SVX has, that would indicate a 4EAT installation. Remember you are possibly going to want the rear diff from that car to match, so it would be good if the shell was still around to see the shifter.

If you can't refer to this then you will need to check with Subaru main dealers which auto gearbox type was fitted to the 2001 Forester. If you do a search for Joe Spitz Seattle he may have a page on Foresters.

Joe
Im going to call the guy today (monday) and see if I can get more info. Also there appears to be a serial and part number on top of the bell housing. I'm pretty sure that might help find out which transmission it is?

If it will then I will get that number and talk to the Subaru dealer here in town.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:32 PM
Will pass gas for $$

Does not look good

If that is a filter on the trans I see in the second pic you posted it is not going to work with your trans computer---sorry
Old 02-25-2008, 02:19 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
thats a phase II 4eat. Your SVX has a phase I 4eat... No dice... not yet. I need to pick up one of those trannies so I can work on that swap.... No time now

Tom