Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-02-2007, 05:43 PM

My car is too qwirky. Can you help?

So, I got this SVX, its a '92... I don't know a whole lot about these cars..

The tranny was odd when I got it. I assumed I'd just need a replacement. So, it was running in 2nd gear for a while... I decided I was going to take it down the street to Target the other day, when suddenly it started running in 1st gear, skipping 2nd and going on to 3rd. Why would it do this? Could there be something else wrong with it, other than needing a rebuild or replacement? I know this is it's second tranny, with about 5XXX miles on it...

Any suggestions?
Old 09-02-2007, 06:24 PM
SVXtreme

my car does this too. it runs in 1st, skips 2nd, and runs 3rd and 4th
Old 09-02-2007, 07:24 PM

Registered SVX
Rushing into replacing the transmission may not be a wise move, Investigate carefully. The fault could involve only the solenoid body which can be accessed without removing the transmission from the car.

There are several posting here, who have a commercial interest in transmission repairs. Further assistance and advice leading towards an exact analysis, will be awaited with interest.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 09-03-2007, 03:02 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Are there any indicator lights upon startup, specifically does the "Power" light flash 16 times?

Even if not, please refer to this document on how to detect problems with the transmission. Follow its instructions and post up any fault codes there are. With luck the problem is more simple than you think.

http://www.svx-iw.com/svxiw/article/?article=79
Old 09-03-2007, 12:23 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
trevor... your analysis of the solenoid may be correct but in that case I would imagine he would be getting the dreaded flashing power light indicating an electrical fault in the circuit. Or maybe it is a physical fault in the solenoid which is causing a blockage. BUT why would this only act up while the trans is hot? Leads me to believe the friction materials for 2nd gear are worn and only when the fluid is cold and thick it will have grab. My thoughts and assumptions without seeing/hearing/feeling the car myself.

Tom
Old 09-03-2007, 02:08 PM
SVXtreme

Yup, the only problem I have is the resistor. I have one on order.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:35 PM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
For me the big resistor problem was that the car would skip 3rd gear. Not sure if that's what's going on here, but a TCU Fault Code check would be in order anyway.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:37 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
trevor... your analysis of the solenoid may be correct but in that case I would imagine he would be getting the dreaded flashing power light indicating an electrical fault in the circuit. Or maybe it is a physical fault in the solenoid which is causing a blockage. BUT why would this only act up while the trans is hot? Leads me to believe the friction materials for 2nd gear are worn and only when the fluid is cold and thick it will have grab. My thoughts and assumptions without seeing/hearing/feeling the car myself.

Tom
Tom,

I did not intend to indicate that the problem was exactly solenoid related and my main intent was to caution against spending money needlessly. There appears to be no exact advice, that the problem occurs only when the transmission is hot, but such is very likely. It is unfortunate that those endeavoring to assist, continually face the problem of inexact information.

Worn friction surfaces; inadequate line pressure due to many possibilities; whatever. As you correctly stated,---- " without seeing/hearing/feeling the car" ----Who knows? We can only guess.

What surprises me, is that none of those who have exact hands on knowledge of the internals, have exactly/properly defined the most common shortcomings/problems. All we on record is generalities and advice that the SVX tranny is NBG. The information posted here is usually confined to, "blown transmission replaced ". Rather than, ----- within the transmission failed, causing------, because------, due to -------. If ---------, had been attended to, this may not have happened.

Cheers, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!