Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Suspension

Old 03-06-2007, 05:36 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
It only draws 75 amp when held at full lock...basically hydro-locking the pump, under normal driving it would never draw more than around 20 amps...
Holding any PS pump, belt driven
or electric at full lock is REALLY hard on the pump...and there is really no reason to ever have to anyway.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 03-06-2007, 05:56 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
eeesh.... There is one MR2 P/S pump on ebay for 200 plus 30 for shipping. Any other cars some to mind?

New For Sale: 1 perfect power steering pump from a 1992 SVX $230
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 03-06-2007, 06:09 PM
Following the path of the beam

When I checked car-parts.com earlier they had one from an xt-6 for $40
Dunno if it works, or is complete...

If the main reason for doing this is to free up some power from drag how much in theory are we talkin here?

Most of my planned time/money on mods for this year is alotted to suspension.
But I always like learning from the work of others.

92 Ebony LS-L "Jabberwerwok" Now includes 1 *free "Wheeeeeee" per ride!
83 Honda Magna v45 "Grendel"

*Free after mail in rebate
Old 03-06-2007, 08:04 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

You gain a few horsepower. I think we gained .2 seconds by deleting p/s on the 1/4 at grassroots. Somewhat noticable freer revs when my PS blew a leak at the dragon this past summer.

Sick if you read my post I gave you suggestions on ones to look for but I guess that wasn't important. Remember $25ish for a quart of fluid if you can still get it as there was only a couple bottles left in the US last time I saw. You'd definately need more than the pump which is why I said figure out who has an XT6 locally from car-part.com and go from there.

BTW I've had mine locked and the current drop isn't even noticable on the voltmeter of my 6. Most notice you get is when you turn the wheel slightly while not moving. 75amps seems like a lot based on the wiring that is there!
Old 03-06-2007, 09:45 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Sick if you read my post I gave you suggestions on ones to look for but I guess that wasn't important. Remember $25ish for a quart of fluid if you can still get it as there was only a couple bottles left in the US last time I saw. You'd definately need more than the pump which is why I said figure out who has an XT6 locally from car-part.com and go from there.
Thanks.... I think that I may go the MR2 route, but I will look for others and if anything pops up I will grab it.
This really took .2 off os your 1/4 though? That would be pretty good for less than a couple hundred bucks. Plus I want to see if after this if I can move the alternator to the original P/S location (I'm not ready to give up AC just yet). Doing this will clear up the middle for a S/C snout
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 03-07-2007, 05:09 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie
Thanks.... I think that I may go the MR2 route, but I will look for others and if anything pops up I will grab it.
This really took .2 off os your 1/4 though? That would be pretty good for less than a couple hundred bucks. Plus I want to see if after this if I can move the alternator to the original P/S location (I'm not ready to give up AC just yet). Doing this will clear up the middle for a S/C snout
The alt. will never fit where the PS pump was....it would fit where the AC pump was though...

The PS Location has a hard water pipe, and the oil pressure sender that is in the way (I looked at doing it for FrankenWedge...it won't go)
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 03-07-2007, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Remember we're running a 14.2 with a stock motor and 4.39 gearing so me guess that any porky pig svx results will be diminished by weight. We got at least a .1 second by disconnecting the o2s Its listed on our GRM thread.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:13 AM

Both of mine could be daily drivers though. Not stripped out race cars. When the day comes and I graduate and I can get a really nice pearlie then the silver will start to have a lot of the "creature comforts" pulled out
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 03-07-2007, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Both of mine could be daily drivers though. Not stripped out race cars. When the day comes and I graduate and I can get a really nice pearlie then the silver will start to have a lot of the "creature comforts" pulled out

So could ours if we had street legal tires, lightbulbs in it and a DOT seatbelt. Its actually more legal then most modded street SVXi our there. I was just saying you won't see nearly the power gains we did as we simply deleted the belts and ran it (i.e. no alt or ps pump). Biggest problem you'll encounter is lack of speed variable steering which is something I personally wouldn't want on a street car. It'd be like driving a Bel Air at 75mph on the twisties with Power steering.. Not the most confident of steering system and quite twitchy and vague. For a race car its a decent set up as you can make power to the pump variable so with a flick of a switch you can go from 100% power (getting around grid and on and off trailer), 50% power for autoxing and low speed driving and 25% power for track. I think if I remember correctly the XT6 uses something like 5 or 6 sensors to determine the rate at which the pump pushes fluid.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:22 AM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx
Sick,

Everything is not honky-dory (Did I spell that right?) with those power steering motors. They will have to be opened up and cleaned every now and then. The power steering fluid can be expensive to some and the brushes need to be replaced when they are worn. Not a big deal if you like to tinker with your car and these can be done quickly. A bigger deal to someone who just likes to drive, drive, drive after a mod is done. All I'm saying is that it does go bad and just needs a little TLC to get it back going again. Brushes are cheap too.
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)
Old 03-12-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
Sick,

Everything is not honky-dory (Did I spell that right?) with those power steering motors. They will have to be opened up and cleaned every now and then. The power steering fluid can be expensive to some and the brushes need to be replaced when they are worn. Not a big deal if you like to tinker with your car and these can be done quickly. A bigger deal to someone who just likes to drive, drive, drive after a mod is done. All I'm saying is that it does go bad and just needs a little TLC to get it back going again. Brushes are cheap too.
TLC is fine. Neither car is used as a daily driver (but both could be). So, if one needs a little work that is fine.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5