SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 06-22-2005, 07:43 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberRoo
Anyway, back to the original post. I've also had a few manufacturers who were really great about supporting their products. I've called toll-free numbers and had parts mailed to me at zero-cost. ...more than once!
Galaxie Vacuum is one of those companies. I called them about buying a new motor for my central vac that was about three years out of warranty. The guy on the phone said "Oh, we had a bad batch of motors back then. I'll send you out a new motor and you just need to pay return shipping on the bad motor."

He could have easily just sold me a motor, but he went the extra mile.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 06-22-2005, 07:45 AM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohrds
I think its more of an attitude that most (not all and especially not Dave!) parts counters have that retail customers are a nuisance. They are, I'll be the first to admit it, but its part of the job to deal with it. I know it sucks looking up parts or trying to figure out what something is when a guy grabs it out of his pocket and its in 5 pieces.

Thanks Doug

Retail customers can be a nuisance. 99% of my frustration comes from people not knowing what they are driving!! Knowing the year, model, and trim level (or supplying a VIN) can make my job so much easier. It's AMAZING how many people are clueless as to what they are driving. A few weeks ago I had a call for a price on a rear tail light. The caller had all the info I needed except for body type: sedan or wagon? They didn't know. Keep in mind that this was their car, and they had owned it for 6 years. Another customer once asked me for rear brake pads. I asked for year and model. He growled that it didn't matter, they're all the same. I played along and grabbed the first set of rear pads I saw and sold them to him. He was back the next day with his vehicle registration

Another little peeve of mine: people who call for prices, then put me on hold to look around for a pen and some paper. You know you're going to call. You know you are going to ask for prices. You know that you need to remember these prices for future reference. So why did it never occur to you that you need to have a pen and paper ready before you dial?!

Dave
Old 06-22-2005, 08:02 AM

I use an Electrolux vacuum that my first wife and I bought for $25 in 1978, from a woman whose mother had given it to her years before. Early 50's, I'd guess.

Nevermind replacement parts: I've had to replace the power switch once and the plug twice, and one of the wheels I cut from a scrap of 1x4 spruce when the original broke. That thing's more rugged than my mower.

dcb
Old 06-22-2005, 08:11 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally Posted by red95svx
Another little peeve of mine: people who call for prices, then put me on hold to look around for a pen and some paper. You know you're going to call. You know you are going to ask for prices. You know that you need to remember these prices for future reference. So why did it never occur to you that you need to have a pen and paper ready before you dial?!
That would require too much forethought
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 06-22-2005, 09:53 AM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally Posted by red95svx
Thanks Doug

Retail customers can be a nuisance. 99% of my frustration comes from people not knowing what they are driving!! Knowing the year, model, and trim level (or supplying a VIN) can make my job so much easier. It's AMAZING how many people are clueless as to what they are driving. A few weeks ago I had a call for a price on a rear tail light. The caller had all the info I needed except for body type: sedan or wagon? They didn't know. Keep in mind that this was their car, and they had owned it for 6 years. Another customer once asked me for rear brake pads. I asked for year and model. He growled that it didn't matter, they're all the same. I played along and grabbed the first set of rear pads I saw and sold them to him. He was back the next day with his vehicle registration

Dave
I lease apartments for a living, and when a new tenant moves in it's common procedure to get their car information to issue them a parking permit for our lot. A lot of people don't know their license plate numbers, many don't know the year of the car, and a few don't know the model. To me these are understandable things to not know. But no joke, I'd say about 1 in 10 people DON'T KNOW THE COLOR OF THEIR CAR

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 06-22-2005, 10:11 AM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgundyBeast
many don't know the year of the car, and a few don't know the model. To me these are understandable things to not know.

Understandable for people who are trying to lease an apartment and are not prepared for car questions. Unacceptable for people trying to buy parts for their cars. Correct price quotes and correct parts sales require correct information. Subaru made big changes in the Legacy line for the 2000 MY. If you aren't sure if your car is a 1999 or 2000 model, I can't help you.

Besides, I think people should know the basics about their car. You depend on it every day of the year to go to work, to doctors appointments, to visit relatives, for a weekend get away...etc.etc. You trust your car to transport you safely, year after year. Shouldn't you know a thing or two about it??

Dave
Old 06-22-2005, 01:46 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Maybe they live in a vacuum (not a Galaxie or Electrolux.)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: