SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-23-2001, 12:07 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
Unhappy

Hey Guys,

I have a major overheating issue. I just bought the car two days ago, so I can't say I have much expierence with it. Its a 92 LS-L...beats me if they are more prone to these problems, with 122,000 miles on it. The car will run fine for approx 15 min then suddenly the temp will climb dramatically until I turn it off of course. I have just replaced the oil and found no coolant in the oil. The radiator and thermostat have been replaced (a week before I got it) and there was no oil in the coolant either, and it doesn't smell like exhaust either. One thing I did notice was that the vehicle appears to be leaking from a gasket where the radiator meets the engine. I would assume this is where the thermostat is located (just below the waterpump). I have read that the flat 6's are prone to getting air in the system, and after working at a place flushing systems I would agree to this. To try to remedy the situation I ran the vehicle without the rad cap on and let some air come out. There was in fact a lot of air in there, however not having anything to top it with but water, I only ran it for a short time. After this was done, the car didn't heat up as fast, and the temp seemed to cool down at idle. I planned on getting some coolant for it and completely my task, however the gasket (which had a small leak before), now decided to dump virtually my whole radiator worth of coolant out the bottom. This occured while driving the car, and the vehicle immediately stalled. After which I have been unable to start the vehicle once so ever. Does anyone know if the car's computer has any idea if it has a major coolant leak...which would prevent the start? Or anything like that? Also if anyone has any really quick tests I can do for cheap, on my own...hey I'm 21 I can't afford to take it in, I would love to know.

Thanks in advance,
Ryan
Old 04-23-2001, 12:21 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Ryan,
Go here: http://svx.knowfear.net/ and do a search on "overheating." There have been several people with this strange problem with many "fixes." There will be more info than you'll need, but look for your symptoms and the other messages that coincide with them. Hope this helps . . . a lot. And, welcome to the SVX community.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 04-26-2001, 11:07 AM
Canadian eh!

<<The car will run fine for approx 15 min then suddenly the temp will climb>>

Just a question here, does it overheat only when the A/C is running?

Mine used to do that (over heating when A/C was running and stuck in traffic) and when it started over heating, the A/C would blow hot air only. I had the car checked at an A/C shop and found out that the rad and the condensor needed a good pressure wash. I done that and it instantly fixed the problem!

Just a thought
Old 04-26-2001, 11:14 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
Lightbulb About 99% sure I know what it is... :)

Well,

After I took a look into what my small coolant leak from coming from. I found that the leak was coming from my timing belt cover (which assumed had to be the water pump). After taking off my timing belt cover...I honestly laughed the hardest laugh of my life. My timing belt, which had probably never been replaced...decided I was going to eat half of itself away completely. I am utterly shocked that this car ever ran like this at all! Anyways...after taking off the belt, which of course I will be replacing, I attempted to turn the water pump. The bearing on the pump is completely seized. Which I'm pretty darn sure would be the cause of my overheating problem. Either way I will be replacing at a bunch of belts when I get paid next week.

Thanks for the help guys,
Ryan