Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-23-2001, 01:00 PM
Directionally Challenged

Send a message via AIM to Shadowyng
Unhappy

Hello all. Just registered, and with a good reason. Finally completing the last step in the new raio install. The problem is I need to know the biggest dimensions that I can get away with so that I may possible <<jam>> my new raio in the consol. Aredubjay. I know you just went throught this madness a while ago. I looked through the book and found nothing. I have a 92 and could use some help. And by the look of this new joint... it seems like it's nearly impossible to get a "MESSAGE 40 ERROR"!!! Thanks again!!!
Old 04-23-2001, 02:17 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Shadowyng! First, let me welcome you to our "New Clubhouse." Seems to be growing and growing. Sorry, but, I've still got the stock unit. However, our resident expert on the radio install is Thumper. I've also looked through the manual to find depth dimensions to no avail. Others here, however, have also changed their heads. I know SVXter has installed an Alpine single DIN head and others. Sorry I couldn't help, but, surely the combined "brain trust" here can give you some answers. Again, welcome -- missed you at Reading -- You couldve convoyed with Alanscouse -- he managed to make it from Cleveland.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 04-23-2001, 02:21 PM
zsvx

I have an Alpine 7863 in the top slot which measures 178x50x155 (WxHxD in mm). One thing to watch for is how deep it is. My 7863 fit fine but the door won't close with the face on because of the volume button.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-23-2001, 02:35 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Aredubjay. I know you just went throught this madness a while ago.
Oh, you were probably thinking about my adventure into the "rear speaker replacement arena." Talk about your 'MADNESS.' 97 Degrees outside and my fat butt crammed into the back seat of the SVX -- massive sweatage!
Subaru Ambassador

Old 04-23-2001, 03:31 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
Quote:
Originally posted by Shadowyng
Hello all. Just registered, and with a good reason. Finally completing the last step in the new raio install. The problem is I need to know the biggest dimensions that I can get away with so that I may possible <<jam>> my new raio in the consol. Aredubjay. I know you just went throught this madness a while ago. I looked through the book and found nothing. I have a 92 and could use some help. And by the look of this new joint... it seems like it's nearly impossible to get a "MESSAGE 40 ERROR"!!! Thanks again!!!
Shadow

Nice to see you here.

The cage will accept standard DIN units, as Aredubjay pointed out. I installed one of the less expensive Alpine receiver/CD players in my 95, with no problems. I did have to remove all the mounting hardware, plus the bezel, supplied by Alpine. It then fit nicely, the mounting holes lined up properly, and the stock plastic trim piece would then reinstall. The model I bought does not have a volume knob, just the up and down switches, so no problem with the door.

I don't have my Alpine brochure handy, so I don't know if your radio has knobs sticking out or not.

Another hint: Whatever you do, don't cut the antenna leads and try to splice a longer one onto the stump. That constitutes a major PITA. Just buy a 12" extension. Much simpler, and will save your sanity.
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 04-23-2001, 11:27 PM
Directionally Challenged

Send a message via AIM to Shadowyng
Stupid me...the depth of the unit is 6 7/8th. Crutchfields said that there isn't room but I'm not going with what they're telling me! Kinda bummed about missing the Reading meet also. I was on the road and "stuck"in Las Vegas and then down at West Palm Beach. Its a tough job but someone has to do it!! In all seriousness though, if there are anyother meets I'll be looking to get together with you all again! Finally got the girl out of storage for the winter and its amazing how fast one can drive it without realizing the speed that I'm cruizing at after not being in the Subaru after four months! Thanks once again for everyone's help. The magic number I'm looking to fit is 6 7/8 inches of depth... Keep the Greasy side down!!!!
Old 04-24-2001, 06:37 AM

Registered SVX
Shadow,
I've found, that if I close my eyes so I can't see the speedometer, and take her up to a comfortable cruising speed, I'll hit 85 every time.

I always thought it would be fun to, when a policeman pulled me over (let's hope it doesn't happen again any time soon though) to say, "Look, you try driving her without paying any attention to the speedometer and see how fast you go." I think they'd give a lot fewer tickets to SVX owners.
Subaru Ambassador