How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-24-2004, 05:31 PM
OrthopodSvx

I just cant get it off!

I am in the process of removing my 4eat from my car. I have the car on jack stands in my driveway. I cannot get the transmission to separate from the engine. I have removed all of the bolts, and have an ATV jack placed under the tranny. The problem is the two studs that extend from the engine and bolt to the lower transmission. I just can’t seem to move the transmission towards the rear of the car enough to get it off of the studs. Can anyone offer some expert advice? I have already tried beer, and cussing, I even through in a few swift kicks to the jack.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:52 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
What about a pry bar?
Old 11-24-2004, 05:53 PM

first, just to make sure - do you have the engine supported at the front?

If not, then there is pressure on the studs and you need to somehow support the front of the engine from rotating into the radiator when the tranny does come off. I used a strap clamp between the dog-bone support and the bracket by the A/C unit. Others have just propped a 2X4 of appropriate length in - of course there's an official Subaru tool too

Even if you do have it supported, it might not be enough so there's still some pressure on the studs.

Then finally, I took a large screwdriver and wedged in until it began to move was easy after that first few mm.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:22 PM
OrthopodSvx

I will try attaching something to the dog bone. I had a 2x4 propped between the intake manifold and the radiator mounts, but I have no idea how effective this was because I was under the car when trying to pull. I didn’t even think of a pry bar or screwdriver. That will definitely be my next step. I am starting to get really apprehensive about re-installing the new transmission. That is of course assuming I actually get this thing out.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:56 PM

tranny reinstallation

that's the advantage of using a strap clamp. They can be tighten/loosened to set the engine at the correct angle to help with installation.

I haven't bought one in a couple of years, but they're cheap and should be anywhere that sells wood tools. If you don't know what I mean, it's a nylon strap about 1.5" wide that runs through a little hunk of metal that tightens the strap by cranking a wrench and winding the strap up on a reel. They're used to clamp unusual shapes for glue-up in wood working.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
Take a 2-3 ton floor jack with the 2x4 and cut it so its just longer then the exhaust manifolds. Place this on the jack and raise the engine up slowly. This will tilt the engine back towards the rear of the car and will give you the angle to get the tranny of of the alignment studs. You might have to pry a little if they are frozen mine came right off once the angle was correct. This transmission is extremely heavy and awkward. I pulled it by myself with just a floor jack and almost lost a few limbs (hehe) but seriously have someone there to steady the tranny as it comes out. Are you putting the auto back in or swapping to a 5spd? Don't worry if its the 5spd you can pick that one up and bench press it in.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:21 PM
OrthopodSvx

Ill be putting another auto in. I think one of my problems is the ATV jack itself. I was engaging the transmission from the driver side door at a perpendicular angle. After looking at the jack I discovered that the front wheels are stationary and only allow forward and reverse movement. Using this approach to remove the transmission I would need to move the jack sideways and that aint gonna happen. It is time for a new approach. If I still have all extremities in a few hours, Ill post results.
Old 11-25-2004, 02:42 PM

Depending on the height of your jack stands....I took mine in through the front
Old 11-25-2004, 04:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
Yea jack stand allowing it , I pulled mine right out behind the front wheel on the passenger side. The front is also a very possible solution. Enjoy its a wonderful process
Old 11-25-2004, 04:51 PM
OrthopodSvx

Yeaaaaa!!! Its out. Now I can enjoy some turkey and then get back to the hospital for weekend call. Hopefully no one else was partaking in any potential bone breaking activities and I will have a quiet weekend. Ya, right! The thing that finally did it for me was jacking up the front of the engine. Thank you all for your replies. I’m sure Ill be posting again when its time to put in the new one...
Old 11-25-2004, 06:36 PM

great.

when it is time to put it in a couple of things to watch out for:

1) Make sure the torque converter is all the way in or you WILL damage the transmission pump - you can tell because the front face of the TC will only stick out about 3/8" (if I remember correctly - the search button is your friend). Then once the tranny is in, the TC should rotate with only finger pressure - if it doesn't that likely means the TC slipped out some & believe me you will need to pull the tranny back and get the TC seated correctly. DAMHIKIJK

2) Watch the power steering rack & hoses. never had a problem, but it looks scary, so....

3) I found it easiest to undo the filler tube, then reinsert the bolt once it was up in there.

4) watch where your connectors are placed, I once had to pull one back out because I had a connector wedged between the tranny & the body

5) If you can't grab the back of the tranny and walk it up on the studs, then you likely don't have it aligned correctly anymore - may have to adjust that engine angle again.

If I can think of any other stupid things I've done I'll post them so you might be able to avoid some pain.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:08 PM
OrthopodSvx

Thank you, Lee; your insight is greatly appreciated.