How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-09-2004, 07:37 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Are you certain it isn't just tire noise? Some tires are horrible noise generators and can sound like a 747 climbing up your tailpipe. Four wheels in the air with tires spinning and using a stethoscope would be prudent before deciding that the bearings are at fault.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:51 PM
The Molinator

Bearings ......OR ???????

Beav: Thanks! That's a good idea!

I can tell you this....It's getting worse ...almost daily....which is scaring me, of course! Could it be an axle? Can't be tire noise....cuz it's getting worser (I no!) all the time! I already have a set of rear bearings from SubaruParts.com, but I haven't had time to install (at least the passenger side, which is where major noise is coming from). I had a problem with the seat belt on the same rear passenger location (jammed)>> I took it apart, got it to work...BUT didn't seem to make the right noises (vibrates too!), so ordered one new, but haven't received yet. When the bearing on that side is noisey, the seat belt unit (ball bearings in there for something, right?) really vibrates and buzzes too!???

HELP!

Thanks for your help guys!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 11-17-2004, 05:21 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to neffer
Whenever u replace the rear bearing spend the extra money and replace the hub. If not you will be replacing it again.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:10 PM
The Molinator

HUB TOO!........?

Is that the consensus here, guys?.....REPLACE THE HUB!?

let me know.....I'll look up the price.....
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Old 11-17-2004, 07:03 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
The hub should be replaced only if bearings keep wearing out.

This is of course if the bearings were installed correctly in the first place.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:42 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I fail to see the logic of replacing the hub. It is easy to measure once disassembled, if there is reason to think it may be damaged. Personally I'd be more concerned about the knuckle being distorted, the hub is a pretty stout item and not easily distorted. Normal reason for replacing a hub is the land that the outboard inner race sits on can become undersized. A very easily seen worn area results and is common to many cars. I have to say that I have never seen it occur on an SVX, but then again, I've not seen everything...
Old 11-24-2004, 12:46 PM
maroon menace

okay enough of this,
the wheel bolts are attached to a flange that fits onto the splined end of the axel. the disk brake and the wheel are carried on this flange or hub. there is no physical connection between the flange and the spidle carrier that contains the wheel bearings. the axle passes through the spindle carrier and rides on the bearings. The hub is attached to the axel by a nut that must be tightened to the correct torque or the bearings willl fail. the load that the wheel/axel carries is passed on to the vehicle body through the wheel bearings to the spindel carrier to the strut.
Nothing you can do to the wheel bolts (lug nuts) will effect the bearings!
What you can do with great difficulty is distort the brake disk by over tightening without a cross sequence with an air gun. more common with drums than with disks though.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:08 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

You said you bought new tires.....couldnt it be the tires that are causing the noise? I remember reading that on subarusvx.com.......that it might be tires instead of bearings.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 11-24-2004, 04:09 PM
The Molinator

Hankook [K102 ???]

I'm not sure model # [K102?], but I put Hankook tires on right before this bearing-type noise started (and has gotten much worse!)..... [like I said, they used air wrench this time ...instead of torque wrench!]

Is this V-rated (W speed) tire OK for tire noise? I assume so, since these tires were highly recommended on this Website.....

SOOooo...., Beav, should I replace the upright (knuckle) since I replaced this rear bearing about 2 years ago.....???

I'm gonna replace the rear bearing(s) for sure.....I only wonder if I should replace the upright on the noisey side...?

Gotta check SubaruParts.com for price now....

THANKS Y'ALL for your input...

Last edited by James Scott; 11-24-2004 at 04:16 PM.