How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-13-2004, 06:52 PM
rupart

4eat / awd with problems ?

Hi, I am new to the board but thought I would try and ask for some help to diagnose this trans problem. I have changed the fluid and screen , and tested all the sols and sensors inside and they seem to have the proper ohms. Here are the symptoms:
Put it in D, starts off in 2nd gear will shift to 3rd but not 4th.
Put it in 3, starts off in 2nd gear will shift to 3rd .
Put it in 2, it Locks up and will move forward slightly with heavy throttle.
It goes in reverse fine.
Basicly no 1st gear and no 4th gear, and that weird lock in shifter position 2 .
This is in an xt6 with eat4/awd but like the svx trans I think.
The inhibitor switch hasn't been checked out could it cause such symptoms ? Thanks to All
Old 11-13-2004, 06:59 PM
rupart

eat4/awd with problems?

Oh Yes I forgot to mention that I also switched out the computer with a known good unit , so far nothing I've done has had any effect on it whatever. Thanks
Old 11-13-2004, 07:25 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Rupart,

Does your XT6 have a manual button on the shifter (little button on the side)? On the SVX, it causes forces the car to move off in 2nd gear...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 11-13-2004, 09:05 PM
THAWA

nope xt6 and the older FT4WD auto trans have a 1-HOLD button.
Old 11-13-2004, 10:04 PM

Admittedly I know nothing about the XT6 except it's appearance.

But, on the SVX there's a blinking power light that alerts the owner to electronic transmission troubles. Is such a thing on the XT6? Again, on the SVX, solenoid 1 is engaged to shift to 1st and 4th, perhaps this solenoid isn't functioning (although for the SVX it should go into fail-safe mode with only 3rd & reverse to limp home).

On the Subaru Endwrench site there are a couple of 4EAT pdf files you might want to look at, or there's an SVX 4EAT manual (in 3 parts) in my personal folder. I would think you only need part 1 (parts 2 & 3 deal with dis- & re-assembly).

link to a 4-MByte file on endwrench

http://www.endwrench.com/pdf/feb2004pdf/4EAT.pdf
Old 11-14-2004, 09:21 AM
rupart

4eat/awd with problems?

Hi , Let me thank you for the responses, and lee I went to look at the tech info in your folder, it appears to be Very close to what my FSM shows about it. I have about come to the conclusion that I have a shift valve (in the valve body)that is stuck , since sol 1 and others shows to have the proper ohms. That would explain no 1st or 4th, but it "locks up" and won't go with shifter in 2, is a mystery, acts like in forward and reverse both, or like the hand brake is set , it Will move forward slightly if you give it lots of throttle.
There is a power light and I tried to read out the codes from it but I'm not sure that I got it rightand after switching computers and messing around with it , I haven't tried again.
If the inhibitor switch was damaged could it send mixed signals to the TCU that could cause all or part of these problems?
Thanks
Old 11-14-2004, 12:07 PM

Again, don't know if the XT6 4EAT differs much, but in the SVX the inhibitor switch is pretty much an all or nothing affair. There's this plastic (teflon) arrangement inside with copper traces that make different paths as the gears change. When it breaks, it's been my experience that the plastic lever gives it up. What happens then depends on where it broke. If it broke in a gear setting, then you can't start the car. If it broke in D or N, then the tranny works mostly fine (dash indicator is crewed up) - there's something else minor but I can't remember. Bottom line I don't think it's the inhibitor switch.

BTW, I built up the manual trying to figure out what was wrong with mine. I am most definitely not an automatic transmission tech. So make sure you take what I write and apply some common sense.