Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-12-2004, 05:07 PM

Not much of anything to update, just didn't want you who have helped so much think I'd fallen off the end of the world.

I can't afford the FSM right now so I ordered over the net the ATSG (Automatic Transmission Service Guide) put out by ATRA (Automatic Transmission Rebuilder's Association) for $20.

Until that comes in I will be holding off doing anything more so I don't make things any worse than they are now. I drive in "3" until I get to a steady speed of 45/50 )whatever traffic is doing) then shift into "D" - as a means of minimizing any potential damage.

BTW, The guide is supposed to contain plain english info on pressure readings at idle, fast idle and WOT, diagnostic routines, and diagrams/text for a rebuild, etc. Guess I'll see in a few days if I wasted $20.

Only thing is I leave Sunday for a two week training course in Virginia - hope the book comes in time for me to take it with me to study. The training site claims to have internet access so at least I can keep up to date on the forum.

So, don't expect anything much from me for weeks.

Last edited by lee; 04-12-2004 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:57 PM

bored so I thought I'd dredge up this old thread and close it out.

my resolution was to buy an Imprezza tranny, Legacy diff and do the swap to 4.11s.

when I pulled the pan on the SVX tranny it had the most beautiful array of metallic particles attached to the pan magnet - really it was quite lovely, wish I would have taken a pic.

I still have no idea what caused a slip in 4th gear only, 1st, 2nd and 3rd were flawless - even under full throttle. I guess it could have been the band, but since it never slipped back into third that seems less than likely....maybe I'll never know, my wife is pretty much against me keeping a whole, yet bad, transaxle laying about.

thinking of sending the box to Dayle if I can figure out a way to ship it (no business address makes it tough). If someone wants to stop by & pick it up, it's a freebie - I might even throw in the SVX diff housing with SVX ring & pinion (although with Legacy carrier).