Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-29-2004, 04:09 PM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
Question Confusion abt my trunk stay assembly....

Hi all,

this is the same thread tht i posted on 'wanted or for sale' board..
I want to crosscheck abt my trunk lid stay assembly working...

here is the thread http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...883#post247883

can u plz tell me the exact function of our trunk lids, like how they open whether they pop up like other cars or they stay still (like with my car at present)....?

thanks in advance,
Pavan.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:31 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
The trunk struts do not lift the trunk on their own.

They do assist in preventing the lid from being slammed down. (barely)
Old 09-29-2004, 08:45 PM

is it actually hard to lift the trunk lid.... becos once after i pull the the opener of inside or by key, then i ahve to lift it hard all over to the top... and when i am trying to close it is slammin all the way down like anything..... sometimes it willbe like the bulbs will be broken....hmm... anything wrong with mine.... should i have to change mine... or they will be like tht only...

thanks in advance,
Pavan.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
One (or both) of your struts are probably bad. I have put new trunk struts on my 92 (no spoiler) and my 96 (with spoiler)

With new struts, the trunklid and spoiler go up easily, using only one hand and down just as easily using only one hand without slamming shut. On my 92 pearlie I could lower the trunk to the almost closed position and it would stay there.

They are only $40.00 each at subaruparts.com and are extremely easy to install.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 09-29-2004, 09:58 PM

Hi svxcess,

first of all... i like ur polo green svx very much... it is very beautiful.... hmm... so ur trunk is like other cars, is it?..... like when u open the lock it just pops up and when u close it it will go down and hang out there (or will it close all the way down slowly "without slamming").

I am vcomparing mine with my sister's Acura integra of 2000.... when we open it it will just pops up and swings at tht position and u can just push it up lightly and the same way down... when u pull it down lightly it will come down slowly and shuts off ... if the pressure given on pull is enough for it or else it will swing at tht position after comin down...

now i want to know whether it is the same case with our SVXes. or else wht is the actual workin of our trunk lids... it seems urs is workin fine.... by the way mine is having spoiler too....

anyway now it seems mine are in bad condition.... i will look over them and try to find them somewhere on our network....

thanks for ur response,
Pavan.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:04 PM

Hi Earthworm,

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm..
[B]They do assist in preventing the lid from being slammed down. (barely)[B]
if their purpose is for tht... why use of struts ... tht too two... any springs can do tht work.... hey see "svxcess" workin of trunk lids... i think his struts are in good condition and tht must be the way of their working... i hope....

wht do u think...

Pavan.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Compared to other cars, the SVX trunklid and spoiler together are very heavy. The use of the two struts make it easier to control. Subaru probably found ot more efficient to use struts instead of springs. here is how mine work:

Whether I release the trunk from inside the car or using the key, I hear the latch release, but the trunklid does not move at all (It still looks like it is locked). This is because the angle of the compressed struts and the weight of the trunklid prevent it from doing so. At no time does the trunklid "pop-up" after release.

As I lift the trunklid, the angle of the struts change and they begin to decompress and help hift the trunklid. About 3/4 of the way open, the trunklid continues to open on its own to its vertical full-open position.

Once fully opened, it takes a little pressure to start closing the trunk. As the trunk closes, the struts start to compress and provide resistance to keep the trunk lid from slamming shut. I just lower it down to the almost closed position and let it go.

On my 92, (without the spoiler) The trunk went up much easier because or the reduced weight. I could stop the trunklid at any point and let go and it would stay in that position. My 96 (with spoiler) is heavier, but operates about the same way.

I tok my new struts off, one at a time, to paint them the body color. With only one strut in place to operate the trunklid, it was quite a bit more difficult to move easily. With both removed it was almost impossible.

I suspect you either have 1 bad strut and i good strut, or 2 weak struts

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Old 09-30-2004, 12:04 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by pavanbabut
wht do u think...
In short...your struts are worn out. I believe the original struts were designed to handle the trunk lid without a spoiler. The added weight of the spoiler is too much for those struts.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:10 PM

Hi Earthworm & svxcess,

now i understood the exact function of our trunk struts... and thanks for u guys in explainin me in such a detail...

now i have to look for some struts... do u think buying new ones is bettter than buying used ones....?

Pavan.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:39 PM
Meow!

definately. used ones may be just as bad as the ones you currently have.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
In short...your struts are worn out. I believe the original struts were designed to handle the trunk lid without a spoiler. The added weight of the spoiler is too much for those struts.
According to my dealer, the current part number for the trunk struts is a superceded number. Maybe they redesigned the beefiness of the strut in order to handle the extra weight of the spoiler, now that it had becme standard equipment on the SVX.

I know that using the newer strut on aN SVX without a spoiler is almost too much of an assist.