How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-02-2003, 12:37 PM
MoodyBlue

What to DO ???

It's finally my turn to deal will the tranny issue. Clutches in trans are gone. Time to rebuild. Can you guys who have been there, done that, give me some good advice. Not sure what to expect as of total cost yet. Shop stated anywhere from 1700 to 2500. Quite a gap if you ask me. Well anyway I was planning on ordering a Slim line Trans Cooler. At this point I'm leaning towards a Perma Cool (20,000 GVW 3/4x10x12-1/2) or (24,000 3/4x10x15-1/2) Does any one have these installed and is there any problems with the larger one fitting ? I was also planning on ordering a Perm Cool external filter w/tach. Since I'm not sure what replacement kit the shop will be using I had thoughts of ordering a Level 10 rebuild kit to take to the shop to work with. If any of you guys would think that I am doing this all wrong any help (advice ) would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-02-2003, 12:55 PM

When mine went bye bye I replaced it with a used one with low miles. It ran 1800 I believe.

1998 Acura Integra LS 74k Sold 1/07
2007 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner SR5 .04k!
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab, 4x4 TRD Sport
Old 11-02-2003, 01:23 PM
MoodyBlue

I was able to find a used tranny 95 w/94,000 on it. He wanted 1300 for it but all the shops want 450 and up to install it. It would only have a 90 day guarantee. If they could give me a closer rebuild price I could come up with a better idea of just what I should do. At least if the rebuild was closer to the 1700 price that would be the way to go because then it has a 1 year or 12,000 mile warranty. THANKS for your input Pete.
Old 11-02-2003, 01:42 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
5 spd conversion. Faster, better mpg, and more fun. It's about the same price if you do your own parts hunting.

- Rob
Old 11-02-2003, 02:00 PM
MoodyBlue

Chicane, Actually that would be my sons dream come true as well as mine. I much prefer driving a manual verses an automatic. The problem is not gathering up all the parts need BUT getting someone (with knowledge) and a little adventure to take on the task. I am a 45 year old mother/motorhead. My husband unfortunatley can't stand working on cars and will go know further than changing the oil. I've asked a number of local garages about doing the job and they just look at me like I'm crazy, state theres know way it can be done ( we know differant ) and send me on my way. Diane
Old 11-02-2003, 02:09 PM
Shot king

Sorry to interupt but i seen your from Moscow Moody Blue. I'm from Carbondale. GO NEPA SVXERS!
Old 11-02-2003, 02:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
Quote:
Originally posted by MoodyBlue
I've asked a number of local garages about doing the job and they just look at me like I'm crazy, state theres know way it can be done ( we know differant ) and send me on my way. Diane
Next time print the instructions from the "How to folders" and give them a copy to read ver and give you a idea what it would cost you. If you show them it can be done and give them the instructions they can either give you a quote or just admit they dont want to take on a project this large.
Old 11-02-2003, 02:34 PM
MoodyBlue

HEY !!! Shot King your just a stones throw away what year and color SVX you sporting ??? I've only seen 2 others so far in the area a red one and a pearly.
Old 11-02-2003, 02:42 PM
MoodyBlue

mikecg I think I'll take your advice and take a copy of the info to the garage that I considered to do the rebuild. With any luck (which I have none) he'll agree to give it a shot. It's at least worth a shot.
Old 11-02-2003, 03:50 PM
Shot king

I'm a 92 Pearlie baby. If ya see me make sure ya honk or at least wave your arms till ya get my attention. Then i'll know its someone from the network
Old 11-02-2003, 06:25 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Moody,
If your looking at selling I'll definately entertain that aspect as I'm already looking at a 92 with a couple of issues.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:01 AM
"high" in Colorado

tranny ....

Hi Blue,

I sent you an e-mail....
81 280ZX
91 Legacy wagon
86 Pontiac Parisenne (55k)
86 Kawasaki ZG 1000 Concours
81 KZ 1000 LTD (shaft)