Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-17-2003, 09:40 AM
tracedog67

saving tranny

Howdy folks,

I had planned on selling my dad's SVX for my mom after he passed recently. I wanted to keep it for sentimental sake but thought it wouldn't be practical with all the cars we have around the house. Luckily, lo and behold, my wife had to drive it after our son needed to take her '97 Cherokee since his '90 legacy wagon (230k) was waiting on a part for repair. My wife calls me at work on her cellphone and says she absolutely loves the car, can't believe how smooth it is, and just loves all the gadgets, toys, and very comfortable seats!!!! Now, she says sell the Cherokee. With 150k miles and the 2nd owner i'm worried about the tranny. How do i tell if there is the external cooler added? If not what is the best way to add the tranny cooler. Also, what would you suggest for new front rotors and brake pads.

thanks much,

Tracy
Old 09-17-2003, 09:48 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Sorry to hear about your dad but I am happy that you will be keeping the SVX. I am not a big believer of the tranny cooler so you may have to search for that until someone chime in.

As for the rotors and pads, if they are really worn out and should be changed, your padels will tell you. When you press them, if they go in 1/2 way and then you get the pressure afterwards, you should replace them. Also, take it to a shop to have someone look at them. They are pretty cheap to replace so it should not be too hard. What year is the SVX and how many miles on her?

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 09-17-2003, 09:51 AM
tracedog67

saving tranny

It's a '92 LS-L with 150k miles. i've seen cross-slotted rotors on Ebay for 130 dollars, front and back. I didn't know if these were worth buying or not. Has anyone used the greenstuff pads available at tirerack.com, these would look nice since the car is the dark green.

Tracy
Old 09-17-2003, 10:00 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
Re: saving tranny

Quote:
Originally posted by tracedog67
It's a '92 LS-L with 150k miles. i've seen cross-slotted rotors on Ebay for 130 dollars, front and back. I didn't know if these were worth buying or not. Has anyone used the greenstuff pads available at tirerack.com, these would look nice since the car is the dark green.

Tracy
Try this link

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...threadid=12826

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 09-17-2003, 10:08 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
A cooler is an easy thing to add. I recommend a B&M, and replacing the stock cooler (which is really more of a pre-heater). I have mine mounted in front of the AC condenser and it seems to do a fine job. I haven't installed the temp. gauge I bought for it, but I check the fluid pretty religiously and it's not burned. I can't say the same for my old tranny, with the stock cooler, which burned fluid regularly.

The cooler is easiest to mount if you remove the entire front bumper assembly, beam and all. If your mechanic tells you it won't fit, find another mechanic.

Still, we're talking about an SVX tranny with 150k on it. While that shouldn't be a difficult number of miles for a Japanese transmission, I have to admit that's well above the average life expectancy for an SVX tranny.

If it's shifting smoothly, though, then enjoy and stop worrying about it. But keep in mind that the tranny most likely will fail, and you're going to need to get a rebuilt one or find a working used one from a junkyard.

As for brakes, there are plenty of recommendations on this site. I know that several people have been happy with the rotors they've bought from raceconcepts.net. I've bought Raybestos brake rotors i nthe past and found them to be no better than stock. They rust easily, they're noisy and they warp just as quickly as OEM rotors.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 09-17-2003, 03:55 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph
I am not a big believer of the tranny cooler so you may have to search for that until someone chime in.

L
Lwin, just for curiosity sake what'cha got against aftermarket tranny coolers? It's the first thing every manufacturer will typically recommend for anybody planning on hauling a lot or trailering with a vehicle. Just trying to find the logic or maybe better yet how to bribe the tranny gods.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:48 PM
Hater

i think people can believe what they want, but the facts remain:

-tranmission fluid breaks down at high temps, reducing the life of the transmission
-a cooler will reduce these temps and prolong the life of the fluid and therefore the transmission
-the normal operating range is around 170-180, without a cooler (even with one sometimes) the fluid with go over 200.
-you can confirm all of this with a tranny temp gauge

an external filter and cooler will cost you less than $100 (add $40-60 more for a temp gauge). you can install it yourself in a day. you don't have to remove the front bumper assembly (unless you want the cooler in front of the AC condensor) - i put my cooler between the radiator and AC condensor. drill some holes for the filter mount, attach your hoses, fill with fluid, check fluid level and for leaks. i think the most time consuming part for me was running the wire for the gauge. this was my first cooler/filter/gauge install, BTW - its not rocket science.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 09-17-2003, 04:57 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark
-a cooler will reduce these temps and prolong the life of the fluid and therefore the transmission
I would argue with this point for only one reason: (Remember that I have a cooler installed, so I'm not really arguing with you.) In theory a cooler helps keep the tranny cool, but that all depends on how it's installed.

Now, I have to admit that I had no research to back up my installation, but since there were two other heat-exchanging devices (radiator, AC condenser) in the same location, I figured it wasn't a bad bet.

But I question some other installations I see. Weird combos placing the stock cooler in a series with the new one, putting the cooler in the fenderwell, etc.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 09-17-2003, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob

Lwin, just for curiosity sake what'cha got against aftermarket tranny coolers? It's the first thing every manufacturer will typically recommend for anybody planning on hauling a lot or trailering with a vehicle. Just trying to find the logic or maybe better yet how to bribe the tranny gods.

Nothing at all. I just dont' believe that you need it (as long as you get the recall done on the 92s). The reason behind that is as follows: I had a 92LS-L with over 120k(when I sold her to Rally) and that car had original tranny and the best shifting SVX I had in my collection. My first 94L with original tranny died at 75K and I am on my rebuilt tranny SVX with 200k and the rebuilt was done about 70k ago. To tie all the ends, my theory is as follows. It does not matter if you have the newer tranny(94+) or the older one (92/3), it all depends on how you or previous owner push the car. If you drive normally and by that like I do, tranny will last a while. For the record, I drive fast, not hard. If you drag the car every chance you get, it does not matter if you have the SVX tranny or a Hummer tranny, it will die. So my thing is if the car is taken care of and if you don't drive hard, you will not need an aftermarket cooler. Also, cooler sucks in the midwest in winter. Tranny takes forever to heat/lock up.

L

ps. Also, I heard about people in the middle east with SVXes and they don't have the cooling trouble. They however think it's the issue of flow rather than cooling. You can cool as much as you want with a cooler but if there is not much flow of cooling fluid, your tranny will still be hot and it will not help as much.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k

Last edited by Seraph; 09-17-2003 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-17-2003, 05:44 PM

Registered SVX
I'd be inclined to agree with you, Lwin, but my tranny died without a cooler and neither I nor the previous owner pushed the car hard. No, I can't say for certain that the elderly gentleman who owned it prior to myself didn't drag the car at every stoplight. But considering that he took perfect care of the car and it hasn't failed me in any of the other typical ways, I think that's telling.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 09-17-2003, 05:53 PM

You are probably right. Some tranny will die and some will live. I think it's just the luck of the draw.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:21 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

I would argue with this point for only one reason: (Remember that I have a cooler installed, so I'm not really arguing with you.) In theory a cooler helps keep the tranny cool, but that all depends on how it's installed.

Now, I have to admit that I had no research to back up my installation, but since there were two other heat-exchanging devices (radiator, AC condenser) in the same location, I figured it wasn't a bad bet.

But I question some other installations I see. Weird combos placing the stock cooler in a series with the new one, putting the cooler in the fenderwell, etc.
using the gauge, my cooler takes 20-40 degrees off the peak fluid temps (hot ambient, hills and traffic), and adds thousands of miles to the life of the tranny. at cruising speed it will stay around 160-175 (prime operating temp). i don't have the vague analog gauge, i have a Nordskog digital, with peak temp display, BTW.
in the summer, the belly pan comes off.
in the winter, it goes back on and a thick piece of cardboard goes in front of the cooler - kinda like pickup trucks that have the winter grill covers. these 'seasonal adjustments' and setup work great for me. your tranny may vary.

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)