Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2003, 01:02 PM
The Road Less Traveled

O/T - Emissions problems on my Saab

Just came back from emissions testing for my Saab 9-5 Wagon, and I've got problems.

NOx measured is 4x the passing limit, at 2060 ppm. Only engine code off the OBD-II is P0138, high voltage on O2 sensor 2 (lean detection).

My mechanic is suspecting the catalytic converter may be the culprit. Any opinions/suggestions as to what else I should look at?

Thx.

VK
Old 06-11-2003, 01:22 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Failed emissions

They always blame it on the cat. How many miles does it have on it? Unless it has over 100k the cat should definately not be bad on a new car. The only reason (aside from tampering with it or flooding it on a regular basis) is that the engine is running incorrectly which has caused the cat to fail prematurely. Is the mechanic a Saab mechanic?
Old 06-11-2003, 01:36 PM
The Road Less Traveled

The mechanic's not a Saab mechanic, but is a trusted mechanic.

The car has 130k miles on it for a 3 1/2 year old car.

I should add that the car otherwise drives and runs fine, with no loss of power, and very good fuel mileage.

The only other thing I can think of was that the PCV hose had deteriorated and essentially cracked and collasped. Hose and PCV valve was replaced this morning, a few hours and 20 miles before the emission testing.

VK
Old 06-11-2003, 02:17 PM

Cat

At 130k it is definately a possability that the cat is the problem but for a modern car 130k is not a whole lot for a cat to take. Esp one that new (probably a lot of highway miles on her). I would say have the cat replaced and then make sure the garage tests it real well for any problems with the engine that may have contributed to the "early" cat failure. Not knowing Saabs well or the history of this one its kinda tough to judge how long the cat should last. Maybe it spent a lot of time idling in the morning to warm up. Cool cats don't perform as well as ones that reach normal op. temp.
Old 06-11-2003, 04:35 PM
The Road Less Traveled

At $1100USD for factory cat, it's the last thing to try. I'm wondering if there's any methods for determining whether the cat's bad or not.

VK
Old 06-11-2003, 07:06 PM

Cat

$1100? That blows but is exactly why I'd have them check the richness of the engine and make sure everything is working properly. You don't want to buy another one 40k from now. Try shaking or slightly banging on the pipe by (NOT ON) the cat to see if there is anything loose. I would hope that they are doing a pressure test on the pipe as well. Take the exhaust pressure before and after the cat. If worst comes to worst you may want to try a cat cleaner. I've seen them at Pee Boys and the like. They are supposed to clean the cat so it'll pass emissions. Come with a money back warranty. Never tried one but we still don't have emissions here yet. When we do the brat will drink the stuff!