Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 03-16-2012, 07:00 PM

Registered SVX
Re: 5mt swapped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYOSVX View Post
Okay, so I remember my '81 Cutlass not starting once in the late 80's and that was when I learned a little about electronics in the distributor and that's where my automotive ECU knowledge runs out. Until recently, all my vehicles were OBD Zero. I am learning and know what OBDI and II are, most basically. What's to lose/gain by switching to OBDI with the jumper you have? What if I am considering an aftermarket ECU to someday build the engine with 25% more hp? I'd hate to switch to/spend money on OBDI if a year or so from now I go to another engine mngmt system. Maybe there isn't even a good one? I have heard of one possibility so far but haven't done much research. I know there's a ton to read up on it in this forum. I may not do it at all. If you don't want to deal with the fairly clueless neophyte; if so, that's okay. Thanks.
In the case of the svx I do not think the obdII brought any improvements, the main thing was/is the ability to use a computer scanner to read codes and clear them and not need to count the blinks or mess with the wires.

Montana does not have emissions checks, that im aware of, ND did not. You could use the jumper harness and get a older ecu and your check engine light would not light up because of the missing transmission. It would be like owning an older car that is the benefit.

The obdII svx still has the (I am told have not checked for myself) pair of wires and the connector to check engine codes by blinks of the check engine light so you can still do that if problems do arise.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:26 PM
Just dip a toe!

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
Montana does not have emissions checks, that im aware of, ND did not.
No checks of any kind actually. He is located in Wyoming and i'd be surprised if they had any too.
91 XT6
93 D21 4wd
95 SVX LSi
02 Windstar Sport
03 CL500
03 Avalanche NF
07 RDX
08 Outback
10 Outback
10 Murano
12 Accent
15 STi
Old 03-16-2012, 08:07 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

You would need the jumper for any after market ecu too... its why i built it... all aftermarket ecus have been made for obdi cars...

Tom
Old 03-16-2012, 08:29 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

It's true, no passenger car emissions checks in Wyoming still. You never know, though. Up until a few years ago, we used to be able to pull up to the drive up window at a bar and buy a drink and drink while driving as long as we didn't get drunk. No seat belts either. Aaah, the good old days!

Is the jumper and switch to OBDI or other ECU challenging? I have normal wiring skills; have wired complicated car stereo systems, VW engines up to '74, and even managed to make sense of all the wires on the back of my home entertainment stack.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:43 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Just plug it in between you harness and an obd i ecu... might wanna find an ecu first...

Tom
Old 03-17-2012, 02:08 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzftw View Post
No checks of any kind actually. He is located in Wyoming and i'd be surprised if they had any too.

oh ya I meant Wyoming but said Montana, I drove through many of those states, WY, MT,ND,SD,MN, when I worked on the oil rigs.