Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 03-09-2012, 10:42 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
5mt swapped!

Drove home my '97 SVX today with it's 5mt. Some might recall a pair of WRX 5 speeds (from Saab 9-2, which is just a WRX in Saab clothing) on Craigslist back then. I contacted the guy, who happened to be in Bozeman, MT, which is 3.5 hours from me. I was very surprised. We talked and I told him I 'd been thinking about a swap for my SVX and he said he'd done one on his. I asked if he wanted to do mine. I drove up, we worked out a great deal, which included the 22k mile tranny. I took a bunch of pics of the dozen or so SVX they have parked there, mostly parts cars, pics of some of the swap. Swap looks factory. He used some of the swap kit and improved on it, IMO. He put in the Saab shifter, boot and pedals as I asked temporarily, till I can get some made I like. CEL is on. He tried a few mods to fool the ECU but stopped for now as it was going to take a bit more figuring. May or may not get to that.

This is not the SVX I dropped off in January. It feels faster and I love the control I have. It shifts sure and solid and I've got a little ways to go before I'm good at it. This is more than enough to get me in trouble but it feels like the tranny can take a lot more power if I had it. (Maybe some day.) Pedals are a little tricky to get used to, they're close together and I wouldn't want to drive with big winter boots on.

I'm not saying a 5mt is better than a 4.44 but, for me, this is how I want to drive my SVX . Fun, fun, fun.

Tim, the guy who did the work, took a bunch of pics and I'll put them up when I can but it may be a while. I'll post what few I have here over a few posts.

So, pics, if I uploaded right, are of the donor Saab, the Suby shop, the pedals that I'll change, the shifter/boot that'll change, a few of the local SVXs. The red one has a 5mt and is for sale.

My RPMs: (anything over the speed limit, is purely conjecture, of course)
55 mph, 2000 rpm
65 mph, 2500 rpm
70 mph, 2700 rpm
75 mph, 2900 rpm
80 mph, 3050 rpm
90 mph, 3400 rpm
100 mph, 3750 rpm

(all within a couple mph and 50 rpm reader error)

So, more pics and info to come...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pedals.jpg (304.8 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg stick.jpg (279.3 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg saabet.jpg (527.1 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg shop.jpg (296.4 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg redsvx.jpg (401.1 KB, 241 views)
Old 03-09-2012, 11:06 PM

Registered SVX
Re: 5mt swapped!

More:
Crossmember is out of a 95 Legacy, modified.
Driveshaft balanced and lengthened.
Forester tranny mounts.
A lot of wiring modified, a lot of grinding, some welding, and cutting of heat shields and firewall.
Some close ups here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ujoint.jpg (268.4 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg crossmember1.jpg (281.4 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg mount1.jpg (410.4 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg tranny.jpg (454.3 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg mount2.jpg (446.5 KB, 227 views)
Old 03-10-2012, 12:49 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Congrats, and welcome to the club.

The CEL, if you search far back, you will find will not be easy to get rid of in an OBDII SVX with a m/t swap. It throws a code because it no longer gets a reading from the atmospheric pressure sensor, which is left in the automatic. Is the TCU plugged in?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 03-10-2012, 04:43 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Good job and pics!
Old 03-10-2012, 08:05 AM

Registered SVX

Regarding the CEL :

I read threads on this a while back and recognize that we probably won't get any further than anyone else has towards solving it- I certainly won't. However, Tim understands the problem a lot better than I do and was talking about another idea he had for fooling the ECU. He'd reconnected the TCU and rewired part of it and did have some success. He wanted to consult with someone he has some confidence in. My mechanic skills start to run dry when dealing with engine management systems but I think that a computer is a stupid machine that can be fooled. As usual, though, it might cost a lot. Tim's a perfectionist and it bugs him to leave it like it is and just pull the bulb. I guess I am too. If I pull the bulb, I want a replacement diagnostic. I'd been looking at a few systems that would be permanently installed.

(TCU is out of the car right now.)

One PLX is: (link deleted; you can find them by searching internet)

I looked at others, too, and just haven't decided. The ideal would be a touchscreen that does music/gps/phone/video/rearview,backup camera/PLX.

Don't know if I'll ever get to that. For now, I'm just shifting gears and having a great time enjoying the money I already have into it. And probably wasting a little more gas than I should!

I gotta thank everyone on this forum (and another) for all the great advice that lead up to this. It wouldn't have happened otherwise.

Last edited by WYOSVX; 03-10-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

Looks like he did a quality job. Congratulations.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 03-10-2012, 07:47 PM

Registered SVX

Money well spent. I love it . My pedals look the same. They are no farther apart than that. The boot looks fine. Looks like a great job? How much is he asking for the. Red one? And welcome to shifters club. I would not ever trade mine back to an auto . A lot of money to spend to be able to shift but the feeling is PRICELESS. Glad I could help. Glad you are happy I knew you would be.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:32 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

What year Saab was the tranny from?

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 03-11-2012, 08:08 AM

Registered SVX

I think he's asking $4500 for the red one but you'd have to contact him. Might have been $3500. I know, big difference. It is a lot to spend and I wouldn't if this were just transportation to me. The SVX is supposed to be a toy, my excess, something to enjoy that isn't another responsibility.

The pedals look good but, for my tastes, I think I'll be looking for something more subtle, maybe plain rubber pads. They're too sporty looking for me. The boot is worn and a little large- too much extra leather. I'm gonna try to get a sense for what I'd like best there. The trim for the lighter outlet is black so matches the boot, however, the leather work in the car has a lighter tan accented by the darker, more coffee color steering wheel and e-brake knob. So, I don't know yet.

The Saab is a 2005 9-2X. He was thinking about turning it into a track car. He has another one, too, and had some ideas about what he wanted to do with them but decided to put the 2 trannies on craigslist and see what happened which was when I contacted him. I never thought about it before, but, if someone is looking for a tranny, the 2005 and 2006 Saab is a Subaru.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:32 AM

Registered SVX

Yep, the Saab 9-2x is an impreza and the 9-2x Aero is a WRX.
If anyone is wondering how this happened, GM owned Saab and had 20% stake in FHI/Subaru.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:58 PM

Registered SVX

Hey did you have to replace the rear diff also with this swap?

"Wait...your grill...is that chicken wire?"
Old 03-15-2012, 08:24 PM

Registered SVX

No change, same old differential.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:33 AM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T

I have the same transmission in my 94. So far I haven't got it working thoug haha. I didn't have full car to pull from so I was missing a lot of parts. Trying to take the cheap route on a slave cylinder isn't working well for me thus far...
Old 03-16-2012, 01:13 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

I have an obdii to obdi ecm jumper... this would allow you to install an obdi ecm into your car.... as long as your inspection doesnt plug into the obdii port itll get rid of the cel
Old 03-16-2012, 04:45 PM

Registered SVX

Okay, so I remember my '81 Cutlass not starting once in the late 80's and that was when I learned a little about electronics in the distributor and that's where my automotive ECU knowledge runs out. Until recently, all my vehicles were OBD Zero. I am learning and know what OBDI and II are, most basically. What's to lose/gain by switching to OBDI with the jumper you have? What if I am considering an aftermarket ECU to someday build the engine with 25% more hp? I'd hate to switch to/spend money on OBDI if a year or so from now I go to another engine mngmt system. Maybe there isn't even a good one? I have heard of one possibility so far but haven't done much research. I know there's a ton to read up on it in this forum. I may not do it at all. If you don't want to deal with the fairly clueless neophyte; if so, that's okay. Thanks.