Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2011, 09:00 PM

Registered SVX
Good day everyone :)

Hey all, new member here. Just bought my first SVX, and the way its looking a day later, definitely not my last

About me: 26, college student, auto mechanic by trade. New to the world of Subaru...not much else really. From Reading area, so the meets I see you guys hold are local to me (bonus )

Now, on to the important info, about the car: Its a teal 92 LSL with 168k miles on it. Has a 4.44 tranny swap with the ECUTunes TCU (installed by svxfiles ~2 years ago) and 17" AT Italia wheels with 225/45-16 Bridgestone RE760 tires. Still have the stock 16" wheels, with plans to run Nokian WRG all weather tires (eventually), but currently running cheap all seasons to get me through the winter. Bone stock otherwise. Plans for mods include the stage 1 ECUTunes ECU (for 87 octane), HIR 9012 low beams and 9011 high beams, as well as a new Magnaflow muffler (broken baffle in the current muffler) and new struts (still on 20 year old factory struts )

Some of you may know this car as Paladinwkh's car Sadly Will had to part with it, and I am now the new owner :thumbsup:

That about sums it up...Glad to be here, and I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions to ask in the next few weeks. Here's hoping to some of you guys at the Reading meet in the spring

-XB
Old 10-30-2011, 11:35 PM

Re: Good day everyone :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloScoobyru View Post
Hey all, new member here. Just bought my first SVX, and the way its looking a day later, definitely not my last

About me: 26, college student, auto mechanic by trade. New to the world of Subaru...not much else really. From Reading area, so the meets I see you guys hold are local to me (bonus )Plans for mods include the stage 1 ECUTunes ECU (for 87 octane), HIR 9012 low beams and 9011 high beams,
-XB
Are the HIR 9012 low beams and 9011 high beams brighter or something than the regular low beams and high beams? I would never consider anything but HID's for low beams, since they have opened up a whole new world to drive in, but am looking for something better for high beams. For verious reasons, HID's are "not a good thing" for high beams.

Thanks,
Keith
Old 10-31-2011, 12:03 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Welcome to the club!
Reading is coming!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 10-31-2011, 09:11 AM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

Welcome -xb! You've come to the right place.

Keith, the bulbs referred to are HIR technology, a brighter and much longer lasting alternative to the 9005 swap. http://hirheadlights.com/index.htm

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 10-31-2011, 09:34 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

Impressive getting 16" tires on 17" rims ... All kidding aside, welcome to the forum...
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 10-31-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie View Post
Impressive getting 16" tires on 17" rims ... All kidding aside, welcome to the forum...
I haven't re-read it yet, just got up, but I suspect you may have missed something in the translation
Went and read it again and copied this... "Still have the stock 16" wheels, with plans to run Nokian WRG all weather tires (eventually), but currently running cheap all seasons to get me through the winter."

Take care,
Keith
Old 10-31-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojoRocket View Post
Welcome -xb! You've come to the right place.

Keith, the bulbs referred to are HIR technology, a brighter and much longer lasting alternative to the 9005 swap. http://hirheadlights.com/index.htm

Glenn
Thank you Glenn!

OOPS... all links are dead and no way to order?

Keith

Last edited by kwren; 10-31-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:29 PM

sorry, Mozelle Firefox died... again anyone else have this problem? (Not exactly SVX)

Keith
Old 10-31-2011, 01:56 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
I haven't re-read it yet, just got up, but I suspect you may have missed something in the translation
Went and read it again and copied this... "Still have the stock 16" wheels, with plans to run Nokian WRG all weather tires (eventually), but currently running cheap all seasons to get me through the winter."

Take care,
Keith
No, I think I got it straight

"and 17" AT Italia wheels with 225/45-16 Bridgestone RE760 tires. Still have the stock 16" wheels, with plans to run Nokian WRG all weather tires (eventually), but currently running cheap all seasons to get me through the winter"
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 10-31-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie View Post
No, I think I got it straight

"and 17" AT Italia wheels with 225/45-16 Bridgestone RE760 tires. Still have the stock 16" wheels, with plans to run Nokia WRG all weather tires (eventually), but currently running cheap all seasons to get me through the winter"
Sorry, I said I just woke up! Maybe that statement was a little premature!
As soon as I joined the USAF, the first thing I learned was that they could make me get up early but they couldn't make me wake up early!

Keith
Old 10-31-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Thank you Glenn!

OOPS... all links are dead and no way to order?

Keith
links are really dead.

Keith
Old 10-31-2011, 03:31 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:

Take care,
Keith
Keith,
Can you believe it, an SVXer is a $M@RT@$$!!!!!

Kids!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 10-31-2011, 05:49 PM

Registered SVX
Thumbs up Re: Good day everyone :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
Welcome to the club!
Reading is coming!
Thanks Tom Can't wait, lots to do before then though, and most likely lots of questions for ya as well

Thanks for pointing out my oops sicksubie Had a few cold ones in me when I posted

Glad to be here. And I love this car, 2 days into owning it Definitely will buy another one or fix this one if it dies in the distant future

As for the HIR bulbs, they are a halogen bulb that outputs 75% of the light output of an HID, with next to no increase in heat output over a stock halogen. Also a fraction of the price of (legal) HID "kits", so its a more viable option for me. I really don't feel like spending $2k or so on a proper, DOT legal Hella HID setup, then still having to build mounting brackets, etc to make them work If anyone else is interested in maybe trying the HIR bulbs out, shoot me a PM. I'm a reseller for Hella and can give ya a price break I currently carry the Philips 9012 (low beam replacement) and the Toshiba 9011 bulbs (high beam replacement). Just a quick rundown of the HIR bulbs:

Quote:
9012/HIR2/9006 55W Halogen Infrared Bulb by Philips

Philips

9012/HIR2/9006 55W Halogen Infrared Bulb by Philips
Philips 9012/HIR2/9006 55W Halogen Infrared Bulb.

• 3000 Lumens
• life 1400 Hours
• Color 3450 Deg K

General Electric patented this new technology in 2000. Their goal was to create a bulb that produces as many lumens as an HID capsule, at a fraction of the cost. They got about 75% of the way there. The technology was licensed to Toshiba for automotive use. It is the standard bulb for Dodge Vipers and C6 Corvettes.

Subsecquently, Toshiba sold the technology to Philips who have improved the bulb with a 40% increased design life and 25% greater output.
The technology originally involves a specially shaped quartz globe which has multiple layers of semi--reflective materials deposited on the inside surface of the bulb. The coating reflects a portion of the Infra red energy emitted by the filament back to the filament causing it to glow hotter and produce more light, which escapes through the uncoated portion of the globe. Even though the filament runs hotter, the bulb produces about the same amount of heat as a stock bulb. The new Philips design has returned to a tubular envelope.

Interestingly enough, the 9012 bulb can be used in a 9006 lamp with a simple modification with a Dremel tool or file. Due to federal regulations, we can not make this modification, but you, the end user, can. The material to remove is marked on each bulb.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloScoobyru View Post
Toshiba 9011 bulbs (high beam replacement).
How much for 6 of the Toshiba 9011 bulbs... with UPS shipping zip98443
(3 SVX's here)

Thanks,
Keith
Old 10-31-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
Keith,
Can you believe it, an SVXer is a $M@RT@$$!!!!!

Kids!