How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-11-2002, 01:39 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Exactly

Exactly, if you have a car with a horrible engine knock changing the oil isn't gonna fix that, however, if you took care of the car and changed the oil all along you wouldn't have gotten the knock in the first place. Since its very difficult to tell what state the internal tranny parts are in your playing Russian Roulette by having everything blasted out. 9 out of 10 times it could be fine but is it really worth that 1 time.
Old 09-11-2002, 01:45 PM
Ca$h

Well, my tranny only has 34k on it. :|

- Ca$h
Old 09-11-2002, 01:49 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

34k can be a lot for an improperly built tranny. There are many on the board who have lost them within 5k of a rebuild. My suggestion would be to simply change to sythetics slowly rather than all at once. Put in 1/2 on oil change then 1/2 the next, then 1/2 the next. Granted you still won't have gotten 100% out but transmissions are made to perform this way. When you change your oil you don't get 100% out either.
Old 09-11-2002, 01:53 PM
Multiple Suby Owner

I switched to Amsoil synthetic at around 90k. I first changed what was in the pan and ran it that way for a few thousand miles.
After that I did a full flush by using the tranny pump to push out the old while adding new at the same time. I am not sure if 100% of the old came out but it was probably pretty close. I changed what was in the pan again since that also.
Car now has 105k and trans still works great.
Old 09-11-2002, 03:33 PM
SVX Animated Icon Guy!

Send a message via ICQ to htyei Send a message via AIM to htyei Send a message via Yahoo to htyei
I switched on redline hitemp synth, a a year after I bought the svx. A garage mechanic type, drain and fill type job: drained 6 quarts out of the possible 10, and filled it up with synth, so I probably half 60/40 mixed fluid.

Since about 6 months before I bought the car, the transmission was fixed/replaced, the old fluid looked pretty new and there couldnt have been more than 15k miles on the tranny.

That being said, my opinion is that Seraph is 100% correct: if tranny is old, a full flush will probably do more harm than good.

Off topic: anyone know if theres any markings to show if a tranny has been remanufactured, or replaced etc.

All I know is, Wendy Kingsbury(former owner, and nice lady) "fixed" the tranny in 1/2000 and I bought it in 7/2000.

I wondering if "fixed" meant remanufactured tranny, new tranny, or fixed old tranny.

Oh and there's some bright orange paint scrawled on my tranny that says
1-??-2000
http://www.svxwrx.com