How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-02-2002, 08:05 PM
Hater

OT: Legacy GT

maybe looking to get a '99-02 Legacy GT for my wife. anything good or bad to report? any known problems (i assume the 600 or so less lbs and gearing won't be cooking the 4EAT, no?)

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 09-03-2002, 04:47 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Landshark,

I may have a lead on an 02 Outback VDC sedan.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 09-13-2002, 11:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to ykobayashi
Registered SVX
I got a 1999 GT Wagon

We traded it in for an awful '97 VW Jetta (we went through 3 in 2 years!! But that is another story for another time)in 1998 and haven't looked back since.

My wife drives it normally but I drive it on weekends when we go out with the kiddies. Handles well, its tight, stable at high speed and looks as good as any european wagon at 2/3 the cost. Its a solid car. I haven't had too many issues with it (especially since comparing it to the VWs) in the 4 and a half years and 42k miles that we have had it. The only things that have happened on it are:

1. Sticky front brake caliper - fixed under warranty
2. Volume knob on radio was making scratching noise - fixed under warranty
2. Motorized antenna burned out - not fixed yet (I know, I know, I'm gettin' to it!)

My wife who was a VW fan (and the one that convinced me to get the Jetta) is now completely turned on to Subaru. When we first got the car she wasn't too sure. Now after driving through several winters and rainy days she absolutely loves her Legacy and the safety of AWD. She is a Subaru fanatic! We are looking to replace the Legacy for a minivan. She wants another Subaru (as you know Subie doesn't sell a minivan ). She said that if Subaru was going to sell a minivan she would buy it sight unseen. Go to the dealer today and put down a down payment.

Now the downside is that 165hp "just ain't enough" for me (the wife doesn't mind so really that is all that matters) especially since we got the wagon with an automatic. (I am sure that its a little better with the manual) The Legacy is a good amount of car for a 4 pot, 165hp engine to pull around. This is especially evident when coming from your SVX. Now don't get me wrong, acceleration would not be considered "glacial", it about average for a family car but if I could somehow get another 40 hp out of that engine. I'd have no complaints. Also, the brakes seem a bit on the "fading" side but it just might be specific to our car only.

We test drove it against a Outback and couldn't understand why someone would buy an Outback vs. a GT. The Outback had considerably more body roll and was much sloppier coming out of turns due to the higher center of gravity. Perhaps the ground clearance? Though we live through Chicago snows and have yet to really need that extra ground clearance. I suppose if you really want that SUV look thing going but don't want an SUV (This makes no sense to me but I guess it works for Subaru since they sell more Outback vs. Legacys; vanity makes people do strange things). We opted for crisper handling and a European look. Different strokes for different folks I guess. (I'll get down off my soapbox now)

All in all its a great car and I would highly recommend that you get one too. Its been really reliable and the AWD gives a real piece of mind when the wife is hauling herself and other "valuable cargo" around slick streets. My biggest gripe being lack of torque and long 0-60 times.
Just my 2 cents.

Good Luck!

Yoshi

Last edited by ykobayashi; 09-13-2002 at 11:20 PM.
Old 09-14-2002, 04:41 AM
Hater

Re: I got a 1999 GT Wagon

Quote:
[i]
All in all its a great car and I would highly recommend that you get one too. Its been really reliable and the AWD gives a real piece of mind when the wife is hauling herself and other "valuable cargo" around slick streets. My biggest gripe being lack of torque and long 0-60 times.
Just my 2 cents.

Good Luck!

Yoshi [/B]
Too late! (see below) thanks for the review, though. i suspected that the 165hp would be kinda weak. with a "GT" title, you'd think they'd give it more juice. even though its my wife's car, i will be driving it from time to time. the salesman told me to go up one of the worst hills in the city - its bad, uneven cobblestone. this road would shake most cars apart at 15mph, and the WRX handled it at 30mph without the bumps being annoying. that sold me on it! the suspension is tight, but comfortable and not bone-jarring. they did a good job on it!

Old 09-14-2002, 05:36 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
To all considering Legacies or Outbacks(same thing),

My advice is wait a bit. There is something in the works at Subaru to "WRXize" the Legacy GT, also the new (now not so new) 3.0L H-6 engine is slowly being made available on more models.

Subaru has hinted at some kind of joint venture vehicle with GM. There is supposed to be some kind of Chevy/Subaru minivan/SU- crossover with Subaru AWD components. I got this from Subie sources but it's all very sketchy. I have heard projectied introductions anywhere from 2006 to 2008.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 09-14-2002, 03:03 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
To all considering Legacies or Outbacks(same thing),

My advice is wait a bit. There is something in the works at Subaru to "WRXize" the Legacy GT, also the new (now not so new) 3.0L H-6 engine is slowly being made available on more models.
when that happens, the Legacy "WRX" will be in the same price range as the SVX when it was new. a well-optioned Legacy GT is already as much as a WRX ($27k), so it would easily be over $30k. for that much $$$, it better have 300hp, goofy windows and a door over the stereo!

Old 09-14-2002, 10:26 PM

future subarus

Quote:
for that much $$$, it better have 300hp, goofy windows and a door over the stereo! [/B]
Well Said!

I sit in the cubicle next to the fleet buyer and read his copies of Automotive Weekly (a leading industry rag). Reading about Subaru's wedding with The General over the past year or so causes me to worry about the future of Subaru. Yes, Larry, I've read about the Subaru/General Motors joint projects as well. However, The General does not have a great track record lately for being product-oriented. I fear these may also not be in Subaru's interest, other than to increase factory output and thereby revenue. As for enthusiast products,......

(I find it interesting that Nissan has made the very substantial commitment to return to the sport coupe market, about 5 years after they, Toyota, Mazda, Mitsubishi and Subaru pronounced it a dead segment. One wonders if a successful 350Z will cause a return of the others. Isn't an RX8 coming?)
Old 09-14-2002, 11:26 PM
I_Alcyone_I

yes RX8 is coming, and I don't really like how it is designed, the RX7 3rd Gen had a very nice body style, in fact it seems that all the good body styles for sports cars were in the 90's ('89 for the 300ZX) now cars don't seem to look as good. I still can't stand the Bug eyes on the new WRX, I like the 1st gen impreza body style a lot more.

Last edited by I_Alcyone_I; 09-14-2002 at 11:29 PM.
Old 09-15-2002, 04:31 AM
Hater

i also think the RX-8 is pretty ugly. they could have put a little more work in the 350Z, but its not too bad. most of my favorite cars were from the nineties, too. at first, i thought the WRX was just plain ugly, but now i kinda like it. it definitely isn't going to win any beauty pageants. that's what the SVX is for - looking at.

Old 09-15-2002, 11:11 AM

Re: Outback

Quote:
Originally posted by ykobayashi
...couldn't understand why someone would buy an Outback
I've not mentioned our Outback on this Network before, but I'll go on record with the fact that we bought the Outback about six months before the SVX. In fact, our happy half-year experience with it is what cemented the decision to get an SVX (the short list was Audi A4 or SVX). I had a small truck and the Outback is a more than perfect replacement. It is a better kayak hauler, we can throw our wet/sandy gear in the back with no more concern than we did in the truck, it's way better on the unpaved roads to our boating or hiking destinations here in the Pacific Northwest and it travels better. Also worth noting is that Mrs. SeaSVX was ready to give up her Miata for the Outback (the SVX made her forget her Miata altogether). It's also true that, here in Seattle, it seems like every third or fourth car is an Outback. The car seem almost perfectly suited to the wet, mountainous, waterworld and the attendant lifestyle here.