Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-02-2009, 12:17 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
Cranks but won't start

Hi everybody. My SVX has been sitting for many months as I prep it for paint. Since it's all masked up, I haven't been able to drive it anywhere. Recently I decided I need to at least start it and run it. I tried to start it, and it cranked no problem, but no start.

Remembering that I had parked it very low on gas, I thought it may just need gas. So, this weekend I put in 3 gallons and tried again...no luck. It'll crank all day, but not start.

So, any ideas what's going on, and how I can troubleshoot?

Also, if I did in fact run out of fuel, do I need to do anything with the fuel system to get it up & running again? Would cranking with no fuel hurt the fuel pump? Also, it's been so long since I've driven it, can somebody remind me if the fuel pump makes a priming noise if you just turn the key to "on" without starting. Seems like it does...

I'm stumped...in 10 years this thing has always started.

Thanks for your help.

Mat
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me

Last edited by SVX10; 03-02-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:01 PM

Re: Cranks but won't start

Good question but I thing nothing with the exception of getting more fuel in the tank.

I believe that when the ignition switch is turned on the fuel pump gets power to it and starts pumping if functioning properly. Not even sure of that so not much help here... Sorry Hope you get it worked out!

Keith
Old 03-02-2009, 05:10 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

First and easiest, spray some starting fluid into your intake through one of the intake ports while someone cranks it. If it starts, its definitely a fuel issue. If not, then you have a spark issue which could be any number of sensors. I doubt anything happened to your valve timing from sitting, so eliminate fuel or spark as the problem and we can go from there.

P.S. Mine doesnt start either.... and I cant even work on it right now since this monsoon has parked itself over my city

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:46 PM

Well, going with my guess that it was fuel, I hooked up a voltmeter to the connector @ the fuel pump under the rear seat and got nuttin. No volts. Zero juice @ the connector to the fuel pump. I'll try to spray something into the intake to verify spark vs. fuel. Does it have to be starter fluid, or can it be anything combustible...brake cleaner, etc...

What could cause no voltage @ the fuel pump connector?
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

Old 03-02-2009, 09:40 PM
M7

Registered SVX

Yes, try a small amount of starting fluid, if it doesn't try to start with one or two sprays don't over do it. Alternative, use a sprayer to atomize gas although, has a long way to go to get to the cylinders. Check fuse for fuel pump,wiring etc. Premium gas only!..if low grade gas is over 6 months old it starts to go bad. Premium can last (in the tank) up to a year. I would consider changing the fuel filter just to say you did.
good luck with it.
M7
Old 03-02-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX10 View Post
Well, going with my guess that it was fuel, I hooked up a voltmeter to the connector @ the fuel pump under the rear seat and got nuttin. No volts. Zero juice @ the connector to the fuel pump.

What could cause no voltage @ the fuel pump connector?
If there is no voltage to the pump, with the ignition switch turned to the run position, it is pointless to spray anything into the intake to try to start it and it could be very dangerous.

Your only consideration would be to find out why not, and how to get voltage to the pump. I don't think there is a fuse... might check the quality of the electrical quick disconnects.

I took a look at the wiring diagram but I can't find anything related to the fuel pump in the diagram that I have... sorry. Make sure the testing of the connector was well done?

If it can be disconnected might take it apart and inspect the connectors? If there is no power, that would have to be worked out before considering a pump replacement.
Not much help
Keith

Last edited by kwren; 03-02-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:19 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

There is a relay for the fuel pump...could be stuck
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 03-03-2009, 09:36 AM

Is that relay under the steering column? There is a relay that clicks under there when I turn the key.

Also, where is the actual fuel pump. Is it under the trunk? I checked voltage at the connector under the rear seat on the driver's side. Sounds like that's not where the pump is. But, it's upstream of the pump ands should still be seeing 12V, correct?

I know I have 1 ground disconnected at the rear passenger side...it was grounded to the exhaust hanger but the exhaust is off right now, so no ground. I wonder if that's screwing something up.

Ugh...electrical diagnosis sucks!

Old 03-03-2009, 11:18 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

The fuel pump is in the tank...there is an access panel in the trunk (I think...maybe under the back seat)

The ECU supplies the ground for the fuel pump.

I don't recall where the fuel pump relay is....it is behind the radio in a XT6....
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 03-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Fuel pump relay is under driver side dash, just to right of steering column. Click the link in my signature and download the SVX service manual, theres multiple illustrations of electrical component locations.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:59 PM

According to the wiring diagram there is a fuse and a fusible link involved in the fuel pump electrical setup. The fuse is Fuse #16 F/B pin # A6, providing voltage to the fuel pump relay and the fusible link , fusible link #2, main fuse box provides voltage to the fuel pump through the fuel pump relay… when energized.

Probably a good place to start would be checking the fusible link and the fuse and then next, if they are ok, go to the fuel pump relay.

With ignition on, test for voltage across the relay from Black-White to the Green-Black.

If you have 12 volts there check for voltage to the relay from the fusible link #2… Yellow wire on fuel pump relay to any convenient ground… bolt or other metal.

This should be a good start for you. Let us know where you are after that if unsuccessful at solving the problem and we can go from there.!

If the wire colors are different on the relay, we can still work it out!

Have fun!!!

Keith

Last edited by kwren; 03-03-2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:41 PM

Thanks for the support. I'm planning to check it out tonight and see what I can find.

Just to clarify what I've already checked, I checked voltage at the connector underneath the rear seat on the driver's side. What is that a connector for? I assumed it was fuel related since the fuel lines are visible there...

Old 03-04-2009, 10:24 PM

Fuse 16 is OK. Not sure where fusible link #2 is...but the main fusible link in the engine bay fuse box looks fine. I checked the relay...it works. 12v @ key on between green/black and black/white. I also checked yellow to ground...12v.

Then I went back to the fuel pump itself...nothing. Maybe i'm not checking it right, though. There are 5 pins in the connector (not sure why since the wiring diagram only shows 2 wires going to the pump). I put the read lead to each of the pins and the black lead to the ground on my stereo amp, and then "started" the car for each pin. Legit way to check for power to the pump?

So then I went to the mystery connector under the rear seat...nothing. Checked it by looking for voltage between the 2 pins, and by checking each pin to a ground. I'm still not sure what this connector is, though.

Looking at the wiring diagram, there is nothing in between the relay and the fuel pump. Looks like the only remaining component to check is the fuel pump modulator. I'm not too good with electrical stuff, so I definitely appreciate being walked through what to check next.

If it's not that, am I looking at a severed wire between the relay and the pump?

Anyway, no luck so far. Continued help is appreciated.

Last edited by SVX10; 03-04-2009 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Fuse 16 is OK. Not sure where fusible link #2 is...but the main fusible link in the engine bay fuse box looks fine. I checked the relay...it works. 12v @ key on between green/black and black/white. I also checked yellow to ground...12v.

One diagram shows a fuse link #2... 1.5 amps and another shows the 30 Amp one! I think we may be losing something in the translation.

Then I went back to the fuel pump itself...nothing. Maybe i'm not checking it right, though. There are 5 pins in the connector (not sure why since the wiring diagram only shows 2 wires going to the pump).

The 5 pin thingie might be the fuel pump modulator. Is it on or close to the fuel pump? My diagram shows 4 wires but could be 2 black because looks like a split in the black that goes to ground from the fuel pump modulator.

If there is a yellow, maybe 2 black, a blue, a red/yellow I would test there with your digital dc voltmeter at the black and blue wires.. Put the (+) (red) lead of your tester on the blue wire. the black is ground potential... Ground! Get the test leads in place and have someone else turn the ignition switch to run, NOT start.

If it's not that, am I looking at a severed wire between the relay and the pump?

We will see! You must find out exactly where the circuit is not complete, then correct it! It will happen!

Anyway, no luck so far. Continued help is appreciated.
Keith.............
Old 03-04-2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the support. I'm planning to check it out tonight and see what I can find.

Just to clarify what I've already checked, I checked voltage at the connector underneath the rear seat on the driver's side. What is that a connector for? I assumed it was fuel related since the fuel lines are visible there...
How many wires did you find on that one?