Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-10-2008, 02:13 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I wore out the shoulders of 2 sets of yoko avs db, 1 set of yoko avid's, and 1 set of yoko avs sports before I went to a higher than subaru recommended pressure. Maybe I drive too hard, but I find that the subaru recommended pressure is for a luxury car ride, not long tire life or performance.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.

Last edited by immortal_suby; 05-10-2008 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
I worked at a tire store for a few years and the one pressure i will ALWAYS recommend is WHAT IT SAYS on the door... trust me your not smarter than the engineer... (exception ford)
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 05-12-2008, 02:05 PM

Not smarter than the engineer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suby Fan View Post
I worked at a tire store for a few years and the one pressure i will ALWAYS recommend is WHAT IT SAYS on the door... trust me your not smarter than the engineer... (exception ford)

No engineer here for sure but stuck with some God given logic.
The "real" engineers are probably shooting for a happy medium for all drivers that could include several considerations, comfort of the ride would certainly be factored in for a SVX.

It is reasonable to believe that a little more pressure could produce the desired handling as well as help the gas mileage a bit?

My 2 cents worth.

Keith

Last edited by kwren; 05-13-2008 at 11:29 PM. Reason: spelling... (of course)
Old 05-12-2008, 06:44 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
It is reasonable to believe that a little more pressure could produce the desired handling as well as help the gas mileage a bit?
Keith
Not only reasonable but entirely true. Proper pressure will improve the contact patch and reduce rolling resistance. The door stamp is a compromise. Experiment up to what the tire is rated to and you will be happy with the results. Your tires will last longer too.

Ever try riding a ten speed with the tire pressure low? You work your ass off. Add 3500 lbs to the equation.

Ford and firestone both screwed up. Ford by specifying on the door stamp a tire pressure that was too low in order to make for a cushy ride Firestone by ignoring the tire building law that is do not let 2 belt ends rub together. Heat (from underinflation) and a poor design endangered many people.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.

Last edited by immortal_suby; 05-12-2008 at 06:47 PM.